Victory At Last!

EricMilfeld

At 0330 on January 14, after heavy deadlifts, reps with my beyond the range #2, and a negative crush with my #3 that felt strangely easy, I decided to go for it. And then I closed the Iron Mind number three gripper for two singles even! I'm ecsatic! Wasn't expecting this for another couple of months, as up until now I was stuck at 1/8 inch for several weeks. What put me over the top? Several workouts of beyond the range overcrushes with a tough #2, mixed with some negatives on the #3. You probably think I'm just trying to get ya'lls congrats and brag to all of cyberdom... YOUR RIGHT :yikes

Eric,

Congrats!

Did the ebook help?

I noted the term Negative Crush, etc. and then checked and sure enough, you have the book.

Just looking to get feedback. :)

Thanks.

Excellent! Maybe 3 reps if it was only 1 am? :tongue Its a nice feeling. Its time to move on to the #4 and make Ironmind produce a no #5.

Overcrushes with the beyond the range, hmm...I better start cutting up my grippers :D

What put me over the top? Several workouts of beyond the range overcrushes with a tough #2, mixed with some negatives on the #3.

There you go ! Good job !

Thanks a lot guys!

Wannagrip, without your ebook I really believe I'd still be frustrated at the 1/8 point. I used sort of a hybrid routine based strongly on the exercises and single reps described in the KTA program. Personally. I think my body can only handle about 2 or 3 workouts a week. It was after a 72 hour rest that I closed it. Thanks for all of the obvious hard work you put into producing the program.

Gripper32001, I've got a great snapshot in my mind's eye :D !

I'm the most impressed with the 0330 heavy deadlifts!!! At 0330, I hate having to get outta bed just to take a piss, much less deadlift. Congrats on both cases.

Jason

He reminds me of Gary Frank training at all odd hours of the night! :laugh

Hey brother, whatever floats your boat! :rock If the wee hours get your blood pumping, keep doing what your doing! :D

BTW, congrats on your #3 close. Hey, can you close it AND hold it closed?? Try that. ;)

As 3Crusher would say, "See you in MILO!". :happy

My lifting at 0330 is comparable to your 1730 workouts. I work from 1400 to 0200 and just can't get motivated until my body has warmed up from the day's activities. If you're ever in the Ft. Worth area and can't sleep, stop on by my garage for a workout :)

Sybersnott, yes I can hold it for several seconds once in the closed position, and so I contacted Iron Mind today concernig a witness. I hope I wasn't premature in doing that, but I was so excited that I couldn't help it :yikes

Edited by eric milfeld

Guest Mikael Siversson
I hope I wasn't premature in doing that, but I was so excited that I couldn't help it :yikes

I first closed a #3 in November 2002 and had it witnessed shortly after. When it was time for the photography, my strength was gone and I could not close it for the next four months.

Mikael, I wonder how common a grip strength loss like the one you experienced is. I'm hopeful the same won't plague me, as the day after I closed it I was able to do it for 3 more singles, finishing with a 5 second hold in the closed position. How's your crush strength here lately?

Guest Mikael Siversson

Its pretty good actually. I have won the gripper event in the Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge twice in a row. Last competition I closed a #3 of average difficulty with both my right and my left hand. My crushing ability will certainly be put to test in the next LGC comp. in March when I have to take on David Horne. Over the last six months my gripper progress have been fairly steady at about one mm per month (a bit more with my lefty). I took me a year to find a program that worked. I tried my #4 last workout (my first try ever with a #4) after my regular gripper workout and got it down to 24 mm (unseasoned). This would equal roughly 17-18 when fresh and at peak condition leading up to a competition (probably closer to 15 mm with it seasoned). My goal for 2003 is to take it down to 10 mm righty and 15 mm lefty.

Impressive work Mikael on the #4. I've big doubts of ever making much progress with atleast my #4, because the deeply set spring indicates it's a real tough one. I can't even set it properly! Too bad it's such a hit and miss proposition with finding consistent grippers.

I have two #4s and the spring is set deep on both. It wasnt long ago that I couldnt do anything with the #4, and that was after I had closed the #3. Now I can do an OK set but not without trouble.

Mikael-What was your training like that helped you achieve your current level of crushing strength? I think you mentioned daily training like Wanna's kta program. I am currently using a similar system of Wanna's. Daily training seems to be really catching on we just have to realize the hands are different then the rest of the body. I achieved a 500 bench with 1 heavy workout a week and my gripper progress would go nowhere with this type of approach. but I have also seem some good progress following a 2xwk approach while training for a RT contest after some advice from 3crusher. Good luck against David.

Guest Mikael Siversson
Impressive work Mikael on the #4. I've big doubts of ever making much progress with atleast my #4, because the deeply set spring indicates it's a real tough one. I can't even set it properly! Too bad it's such a hit and miss proposition with finding consistent grippers.

Thanks,

Actually I tried again today after my gripper workout and got it down to exactly 20 mm. I have lost some respect for it I guess. It has been seasoned some 15 times so it should loosen up a bit more. I have my main gripper workout on Mondays. On Mondays I am usually about 2 mm stronger than on Thursdays, since I do my gripper workout after squatting on Mondays. When fresh on a Monday I should get it down to 16-17 mm and probably below 15 if fully seasoned. We will see. Like Patrik's #4's it is narrow but with the spring deeply set. I can set fairly well as I have strong thumbs I would guess. Getting it down to 10 mm before the end of the year looks more and more realistic.