Pain When Dealift

Alawadhi

I started gym about two and a half month back. When I deadlift about 60% I am fine. But when I go about 90% I get pain in between the butt area and the back legs muscles. I feels that the muscle is burning and very flexed. Is it because I don;t train that area or something else?

Thanks

I started gym about two and a half month back. When I deadlift about 60% I am fine. But when I go about 90% I get pain in between the butt area and the back legs muscles. I feels that the muscle is burning and very flexed. Is it because I don;t train that area or something else?

Thanks

Do you stretch and warm up enough first?

I warmp up but do not stretch. How should I know about my form? I watch youtube video and I do the same I guess. What's SLDL?

Thanks

I mean I never trained my back legs. Only sqauting, sometimes front sqaut, and calves.

Break into the exercise gradually and build up the muscles before going heavy. Rick Walker has a nice Deadlift 101 type article I think on the Diesel Site - learn the form that suits your body - be it conventional or sumo. Take your time and forget max effort type lifts until you're ready for them.

SLDL stands for Stiff Legged Deadlift. It is an excersise primarily for the Hamstrings. When you do a true deadlift, your start position is similar to the bottom of a squat, the difference being, you are pulling the bar from the ground. Press through your heels, and don't lead with your hips. Being that you say that you haven't done Ham work, you should do some SLDL's and some leg curls.

It could also be sciatica, a form of nerve pain caused by a herniated disk (the sciatic nerve goes from your back down your hip and the back of your leg). I'd get it checked out at the doctor.

Thanks guys. Will go with your advice.

By the way, IF it was sciatica, will it go away? Because I know the disk can't generally be healed :whacked

You can always post a video of your form for the guys to look at. Maybe 1 rep from the front and one rep from the side

By the way, IF it was sciatica, will it go away? Because I know the disk can't generally be healed :whacked

If it's sciatica i have no clue. But i had something similar a few months ago and it was gone in a few days never to return. It was more like a nagging sting than a burn though. Right below the gluteus. I felt it every time i walked...annoying.

Of course i'm no MD but it kinda sounds like a sprain more than a nerve issue. If it's a sprain it's nothing, just take a hot bath and massage it. If it persits with no change it may be more.

Edited by alexis

This is my form

What do you think?

This is my form

What do you think?

I see some pretty distinct hunching/rounding in your lower back as you go (which sends a lot of compression force through the disks). It will probably feel pretty awkward at first to do this, but try sticking you're butt out and your chest forwards/up as you deadlift. This helps protect the disks.

Here's a picture of a guy who's kind of exaggerating what I'm trying to describe.

http://yourexercisewizard.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/deadlift11.jpg