Crush Monster Video

Tom of Iowa2

I have a crap computer.Yes that is a brand name.

Could someone give me a blow by blow description of the action?

Obviously Wannagrip and others has seen this...so as long as you don't tell me they closed it with their eyelids I'll believe it. :blink

Seriously......Roark,Old guy,Mosterone...ANYBODY?!just describe the action.

Congratulations..sounds like the type of craziness i'd enjoy seeing. :rock

Tom:

1) Heath takes the gripper (we can't verify that it is a #3 coz there's no close-up but it's clearly not a Trainer :tongue and we can't verify that it is Kaz's #3 either BTW :tongue:tongue ).

2) Heath settles the gripper (which seems to have wide handles) with his left hand. At this point it's already amazing (for me) coz he almost pinches it close with his left hand :yikes:yikes He really seems to be already beyond the parallel when he starts to close it with his right hand ! :stuart

4) Heath closes the gripper and then does two more very partial reps probably to show us that he is not at full throttle :bow

Though, i tend to prefer the video of Heath doing 15reps with the #3 coz it's more concrete (it is impossible to feel how hard is the kaz's #3 on a video...)

Amaury,

I'll adress your items by number.

1. It just doesn't matter whether or not YOU can verify if it's a #3 or Kaz's #3. This was a casual clip taken at a meeting which included 5 COC's, plus an Ironmind APPROVED and highly critical witness. This was not done for anyone else's sake except our own fun.....Wannagrip just happened to like the clip.

2. As Wannagrip stated before....to Heath it's a toy :bow

4. (where's 3) I mentioned before, those were never intended to be reps, just toying with the end part of the gripper close. As far as whether the gripper is a hard one or not.. Unlike many folks who think they have a hard #3, this one was tried by people who have closed enough #3's to be able to rate them. It was a good stout #3, and has stopped several certified COC's before, Mr Kazmaier said it was impossible for a human being to close. Only 5 people have closed this particular gripper Heath, Ron Mazza, Steve Weiner, Eric Russell, and myself. Many more have tried and failed.

Pat,

Wish I had known you guys were going to Bollenbach's, I would have loved to tag along.

Any video of you closing the Kaz? I got a feeling you aint to far behind Heath, if at all.

Also, how did Heath's closing compare to Eric Russell?

I wasn't trying to do any sort of reps, just goofing off. We figured it up, I've closed 35 different #3's, 2 silver spring BBE's, 1 black spring BBE, and 9 of those ol' SOS grippers. The Kaz gripper was a hard #3, one of the better ones I've felt.

It just doesn't matter whether or not YOU can verify if it's a #3 or Kaz's #3

I never meant anything else Pat...

But indeed we can't verify it, so it seems what i said was accurate isn't it ?

Only 5 people have closed this particular gripper Heath, Ron Mazza, Steve Weiner, Eric Russell, and myself. Many more have tried and failed.

Nobody has ever closed my #3 and many have tried... :tongue

Seriously Pat, did you really find my post inflammatory ?

If so i'm very sorry because it was not at all intended!

I'm SURE you and Heath are the real deal.

Hope it was just a clarification therefore...

Sorry if I detected something that wasn't there. :D We just video these things for fun, and the production quality is just slightly less than Hollywood......Florida that is.

A couple questions:

1) Where and when were you guys doing this and why did this person have Kaz's #3 as well as all these other hard #3's?

2) What's with these posts being locked - I must not have been paying attention when those rules came out.

I've felt a couple of these hard #3's. One at the football weight room at the U of Iowa and one at Safe USA just down the road a couple hours from me. I know Bill tried the one at Iowa - he can comment. I haven't tried the one at Safes for a couple years but when I could very easily close my #3 and other new #3's there, I was a good 1/4 inch on that one. Point being, there definitely are hard #3's out there that feel more like the chrome spring BBE.

Wade

How utterly disheartening: Heath and Pat play around

with grippers that would require the combined strength

of a family of gorillas.

I suspect, and hope, there is more information coming :bow

"How utterly disheartening" ... I'll second that!! And just when I was starting to feel good about myself again. Heath, you lucky bastard! You may never know the feeling of being truely weak.

Seriously though, fantastic job! I enjoy seeing great strength in any form.

Mike M.

Wade,

I was with Pat & Heath that day, so I can step in to answer your question about this particular gripper. This gripper is owned by Bob Bollenbach, whose gym in a little town in upstate New York has produced 4 Captains of Crush-Ron Mazza, Mark Smith, Eric Fitzsimmons, and Eric Russell. The story with this gripper is that it is Bob's gripper and was given by Bob to Kaz for him to try to close. Kaz could not shut the gripper, and told Bob it was not possible, so Bob chest crushed the handles together in front of Kaz to show Kaz that it was possible for the handles to touch. Thus he dubbed this gripper "The Kaz #3." Bob has an extensive gripper collection, and has been collecting them for many years. Pat, Heath, and I have been fortunate enough to be able to try many "old style" Ironmind grippers there, that have black handles, and are very tough.

Steve

Ahh, now it is clear where I've heard the name before. Thanks.

Cool!Thanks for the blow by blow everybody.Sounded awesome.Sort of like haering about a good movie that "isn't in town yet"but hope to see.

Goes with out sayingI'd like to hear about the "blobbing" and "INCHing"but I understand if you don't want to talk about it.... :cool

Serious question to Bearcat 74 and Terminator or any regular no.3 closer...as we don't have grippers..... but may start in on them..do you always follow

grip 'Lifting' type exercises with grippers??(i.e I consider grip 'lifts'to involve 'weights' such as pinch grip,INCH type dumbell work,Rolling Thunder,dumbell finger rolls,leverage's in front,wrist rolling,etc.,etc., to be 'lifts')

Or do you do gripper'work' seperately from your grip lifts?

I can't see the visuals so don't take this the wrong(i can't see what you guys look like..and I don't know much about you..Wade i obviously know about- as I'm a strongman fan)but do you lift HEAVY in the weight room and/or practice stuff like farmers walk or tire flipping)Do you have physical labor jobsJust trying to get a handle on what your overall 'workload'is......to have reached this level of gripping.

(by the description?I have gathered this was an impromptu fun session..but I found it awesome you had followed you grip 'lift' stuff)

Tom, speaking for myself I work grippers every day (because I like to and it seems to work for me). I only take the odd day off, when my body tells me to slow down by being sluggish. Personally I like to do grippers first, as wide pinching or thick handled stuff always kills the last little bit on grippers. I don't work thick stuff everyday, usually only 1-2 times a week. I also bend every day, can't live without it!

Get some grippers......they are addictive!

I don't know where Heath gets that kind of strength. It is unreal. I peg Heath as the top 1% of all the COC's... his grip strength is freaky. I SAID, "FREAKY"! :blink At the next AOBS, I will bring two grippers for him to try; my silver spring BBE and my #4. I will not be surprised if he can close both of them. And I won't make that mistake of busting them out at the end of the event, like I did last year! :happy

Congratulations on the closings, even though I have not seen them directly yet.

Going back to the Kaz #3 story, I find it a little strange that Kaz did not chest crush the thing himself to prove that the handles could touch - it's something I've done to every gripper I could not close in the normal manner.

But that might just be me!!

Edited by The Mac

Chris,

Can you "cheat close" your tough grippers against your leg/hip instead of chest closing them? :mellow

Snott,

I'm not sure. When I had access to a selection of grippers I couldn't close (back in '97, a few years ago now) I was happy just to "chest crush" them to prove to myself that they would shut. Back then I never thought about doing assisted closings or whatever - they were just something to play around with.

Guest IrNLifter

:D Roark....I must defend the honor of gorilla's everywhere!! Acording to a show I saw on Discovery channel mountain gorilla's grip strength is measured by scientits at about 600lbs/sq.inch.....now they don't train much(besides swinging from vines from tree to tree) but that's stronger than any gripper I've heard of...but that said... I think everyone on this board is awesome...

even if none of us are quite up to gorilla standards.... :D

Point taken :)

The gorilla casually snaps 2" diameter bamboo with the

same cavalier attitude that Black and Pat and others use

for bending 1/8" rod.

What a spectacle if gorillas could be trained to bend

pieces of iron, but then, maybe they are smarter than we!

The gorilla casually snaps 2" diameter bamboo with the

same cavalier attitude that Black and Pat and others use

for bending 1/8" rod.

Oh if it were true! ;)