Now This Is Raw!

Bill Piche

This guy's a great lifter. He's one of the first US lifters I've seen who has figured out that if you want to compete at the international level in Olympic lifting, you've got to avoid the drug tests for a little while, build up some strength, then enter competition later. The Russians are famous for doing this but for some reason the US lifters haven't figured it out yet. Pat is ahead of the curve in many ways. I think he'll represent the US very well in 2012.

So that's what my squats are supposed to look like? OK, now I get it now. laughing.gif

Crazy strength there. buttrock.gif

I think I get it but now I have to DO it. blink.gifsmile.gif

Btw, I paused through the vid to look at his form. Serious question, guys - is there anything about that lift that wasn't great? (I sure didn't see anything, but I'm new to this.) I'm looking for some good examples to study.

Btw, I paused through the vid to look at his form. Serious question, guys - is there anything about that lift that wasn't great? (I sure didn't see anything, but I'm new to this.) I'm looking for some good examples to study.

His form is perfect. It takes someone built for squatting to make a squat look that pretty.

His form is perfect. It takes someone built for squatting to make a squat look that pretty.

I'll go with that. smile.gif

Too much bouncing and too much drop (speed wise down) and squat. Probably really too deep with back lower lumbar rounding? I'd have to stop it in the bottom again to see for sure.

But, he's an O-lifter and they take that risk and that's typical for them.

Most people could not do that and survive. Can you hear RIP with a quad/hamstring or even knee? I can for most normal people.

Just looked again....

Yup, he has some good hip tuck going on at the bottom. That will kill your lower back long term.

For the majority of us, this is not the way to squat.

I posted it because this is a truly RAW squat. Just man against the bar.

This is the sort of form i aim for when i squat. If your squat looks anything like this i'd say you have nothing to worry about form wise. His progress recently has been unreal, 40kg or so at that level in a little under a year is phenomenal. His coach has some very interesting ideas on how to train, he has his athletes squatting every day (reasonably heavy) after oly lift practice. He belives the body will adapt very quickly to this frequency.

Cant believe some guys are saying this is raw, He's wearing shorts for god's sake.

This is raw

Are those shorts? I thought they were speedos. I saw this a couple days ago and was blown away, specifically by the fact that he's 19.

This is the sort of form i aim for when i squat. If your squat looks anything like this i'd say you have nothing to worry about form wise. His progress recently has been unreal, 40kg or so at that level in a little under a year is phenomenal. His coach has some very interesting ideas on how to train, he has his athletes squatting every day (reasonably heavy) after oly lift practice. He belives the body will adapt very quickly to this frequency.

He's gone up more than that. The 606 squat below was done after work sets, but even stipulating that his squat was 640 at the time the video was done, that's 132 pounds in 11 months.

Edited by The Natural

I can't squat to save my life, but I thought the same thing Wannagrip pointed out.. some people refer to it as "butt wink", and in this guy's case it was very noticeable. I think it's not a good thing.

Guest Bullitt

Apparently Average Broz Gym has more than one guy approaching 3X bodyweight on arse-to-sod, RAW, oly type squats. Weight to bodyweight, this is actually bigger. Crazy! :whacked Whatever they are doing, they seem to be doing it right.

Jacobi Jordan, also 19. 86 kg bodyweight no, no, no raw squat of 230KG & then 240KG):

I wonder if a lumbar disc can actually eject out of the skin and fly across the room

Guest Bullitt

I wonder if a lumbar disc can actually eject out of the skin and fly across the room

Naw, mine tried. They can't quite make it, so the really bad ones squirt down the tube holding the nerves. Everything goes numb, including your junk. It's quite an experience. :cry

So STRONG !!!

Since we are on the olympic lifting subject I want to know if O lifters do deadlifts or not? I know they clean and jerk A LOT and they squat a lot too (after C&J?). But want to know about the deads.

Since we are on the olympic lifting subject I want to know if O lifters do deadlifts or not? I know they clean and jerk A LOT and they squat a lot too (after C&J?). But want to know about the deads.

For the most part they cannot squat or DL enough to be competitive at powerlifting comps, with guys like Pat being the exceptions that weightlifters like to trot out. DL's are rarely done by most weightlifters and the DL is usually around 1.5 times their C&J or less.

Misha

Cant believe some guys are saying this is raw, He's wearing shorts for god's sake.

This is raw

equiped- knee wraps,belt,suits..

unequiped- no knee wraps, no belt ,no suit...

IMO raw can go with both sections.But word by itself -raw- means great strength.I would not use it for someone who is lifting barbie weights even naked.

I was not refering on that lifter but overall.Just by my opinion that word is too much used in english where it should be unequiped.In croatian same word can be used only when is great strength in question.