Pda Does It Again

Bill Piche

The idea of a patent for a solid globe dumbbell seems absurd to me. Globe dumbbells both solid, and shot loadable hollow, have been around since the 19th century, in all weights and handle sizes. The word millennium cannot be owned.

Both points, seperately made are true. Together and added to the dimensions etc... May be well be another story.

By coincidence, this Saturday I designed a simple collar that will also prevent plate rotation. I am curious to see if it is similar to the one PDA has come up with.

Something both oldguy, myself and others have tried, for those with the same problem, is rubber washers. That said I don't use them and find that as my handle is slightly flanged it will, with care, sit right.

All you need to take care of the problem of rotating plates, is a pair of set screw collars with 1 or more set screws. The collars need to be drilled and tapped so that you not only have screws tightening down onto the bar, but you also have setscrews that go the other way and push the plates tightly together. Here is a pic of such a collar. It would need to be drilled and tapped from front to back. It comes with a screw to clamp onto the bar.

http://www.mcmaster.com/param/images/shaft...setscrew150.jpg

Each patent is assigned a number. No patent number,

then no patent.

Discussions about patents should be accompanied by the

appropriate patent number, otherwise the discussions

digress into patently silly side roads.

Why does everybody seem so keen to want copy the Millennium dumbbell and or steal Alan and my design. If not then why the pedant like arguements as to whether we can use the name we do and if you, by some miricle, built one of your own, we would be expected to feel ok if you used the name?

If it isn't the MDB its grippers, if its not gripper its something else. Wanna took steps to protect the KTA and I have yet to see a posting suggesting a newer copied version should be produced.

If you are so very sure I jest please build a MDB, call it the same and trust your attorney. Otherwise, if you must, build a big, heavy globe dumbbell and I'll give it a name for you.

Don't include me on that list Steve. That's the last thing I want to do is make a MDB! :)

I think this thread is going South for the winter.

Time to close up shop and move on.