Pda Does It Again

Bill Piche

I just tested a collar that locks the plates and stops rotation. It worked great. I tested it on my PDA Inch Dumbbell Handle.

For those of you that were looking for this solution, it's been found.

It's really simple. In fact, you would never know it is any different than their tough GINC collars from a distance.

I'm impressed though at John's engineering knack.

Wanna,

Anybody test out that new steel,spinning handled (Rolling Thunder type)device from PDA??

That looks like a good way for the 'BIG' Rolling Thunder dudes to make-'out of competition'comparisons...and be useing SAME or consistant equipment....?(without having to run out and buy a new Handle to be the same...?)

Gazza has an all metal one made and wants one with bearings. All could be good.

Wanna,

Anybody test out that new steel,spinning handled (Rolling Thunder type)device from PDA??

That looks like a good way for the 'BIG' Rolling Thunder dudes to make-'out of competition'comparisons...and be useing SAME or consistant equipment....?(without having to run out and buy a new Handle to be the same...?)

Thunder ball its called. Looks (from the spec) quite nice.

I have ordered one with a 2 inch handle. I am looking forward to try how much I can lift on that thing. I can just encircle a 2 inch bar, the thumb touching the middle finger.

Oh yeah we thought of building some also but PDA's stuff should be consistant...for comparison sake...

Equipment we have in the works:

Welded Solid,3 inch handle dumbell 120lbs and loadable.

Solid 2 3/8 Solid,non rolling,handle to hook up to the IM loading pin- via carabiner.

Rolling 3 inch handle to be hooked to IM loading pin.

Also got a solid 1 1/8"X5",forged,carbon steel 'ring'..to be hooked up to loading pins for some REAL heavy lifts.Again useing the IM loading pin.(I :blush should actually be good at that- as only a good grip and not a monster grip-is needed... this lift? should help us get used to that Rolling Thunder lift movement with double the Rolling Thunder weight..mayb e triple the Rolling Thunder weigh for me?plus it will just look cool as hell :cool )

Also we will be practicing a plier lift utilizing Weldless end links that will be grasped and crushed by the pliers.Each size of link will offer a different angle of "crushing power" AS you lift the weight.If you can't squeeze/crush hard enough?you will not be able to lift the weight-if your not strong enough to lift the weight?all the crushing power in the world isn't going to matter.... We will also be loaded on an IM loading pini.e we have links that are 1/8",1/4",5/16",3/8",1/2",5/8",3/4",7/8"and we have a 1 inch 'bar'.You will have to grasp and lock on the weldless link,crush the pliers and lift the weight...

This should?involve some crushing and lifting at the same time.The different size/circumference links will test fifeerent angles of crushing....

The smaller the links circumference?the more the pliers are closed.The bigger the links circumference?The wider the pliers are held.

WE are looking for the way to lift the MOST weight but will have all sizes to practice on....

(Maybe this idea should be patented?I mailed it to myself.Poor mans proof of first idea. :rock )

My partner has us set up to do a demo for a possible sponsor.We want them to crap there pants with excitement...... and then get them to sponsor the contest.

When someone does try it? it would be great to hear about it....although I'm confident it'll be a good piece..

This grip hobby can get expensive...

On that plier lift..buy some good pliers..not the $2.59 puppies from china?Most of you guys will just destroy those...

"Solid 2 3/8 Solid,non rolling,handle to hook up to the IM loading pin-

via carabiner."

Tom, recently I made a non revolving steel handle from a 6'' x 2 3/8" piece of galvanized pipe. I fixed a U bolt to it to allow it to be hooked to a loading pin. It cost around $4 to make.

Thanks for the tip old guy.Cheap is good..unless your buying pliers...We'll try it your way.

The big dumbell he made and the Wrist roller were scrap.(obviously :D )

The non revolving 2 3/8"handle should allow us some big poundages -or overloads-and help our Rolling Thunder.But our 1 1/8",(5inch width inside the ring)forged ring-hooked up to the loading pin- should be a blast...I can hardly wait!REALheavy stuff...something i might be able to keep up on...?well almost..?sort of....well maybe..? not really.....? :blink we'll see..it will be a somewhat less grip oriented lift...

He promises a CRAZY poundage on that when the elbow heals up...and more weight on the eagle loops.

Sorry..there i go again....its real hard NOT to talk about this stuff....no numbers though. :cool Its just been a lot of fun...exciting?!to be a small part of what i see happening with this guy.........

Tom your enthusiasm for grip and what the guys you train with do, can only be good for the board! We are thinking along the same lines with making a non revolving 2 3/8'' handle to overload the lift. I too am going to use an iron ring 5/8'' thick and 5 to 6'' diameter for some onehanded stuff. Currently I am concentrating on K T A, but it is good to have other things lined up for the future. ;)

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Ok Wanna,

What are these collars called and when will they be avilable ?

I have got a pair a John Beatty's " Fat Bastard " dumbells coming and would like to have these to do on them.

Wanna,

Will those new collars from PDA fit on any PDA Inch handle? What I'm saying is.... is your handle "modified" in some way for these new collars? :mellow

Edited by Sybersnott

For some reason, PDA is offering the Thunderball handle in 1 3/8" 2 "and 3'' but not in 2 3/8'' which is the diameter of the RT handle.

Steve, I think we need to help clear up some definitions once and for all. :)

Copyright: The legal right granted to an author, composer, playwright, publisher, or distributor to exclusive publication, production, sale, or distribution of a literary, musical, dramatic, or artistic work.
Patent: A grant made by a government that confers upon the creator of an invention the sole right to make, use, and sell that invention for a set period of time.

PDA's info page on the Thunderball states it offers a

range of handle diameters off-the shelf, but that other

diameters can be made as required.

I interpret this as; if you want a 2 3/8 handle, PDA will

make it for you or any other diameter you might prefer.

I ask John about making a one piece hammer curl bar

with 2 inch handles and he told me no problem.

Your response is why I started my post with the words 'dare I say'.

Never-the-less here's my few pennies worth.

Wanna am I to presume that you think I don't have access to a dictionary or John at PDA and Randall at Ironmind access to legal council. Why do some members here seem over keen to copy another members/companies design without giving it a moments thought?

I'll ask you again what I asked before and please refer to the definitions you posted. Would it be ok, in your mind and your heart, for Randall, John or any board member here to take the name, idea and or concept of Cyberpump and use them on another site. I asked this question of Joe who writes for a living. I have a magazine, as you know, but have never had a problem with people quoting from any part with or without permission. I only ever asked that they acknowleged the source.

John has, to my mind, taken a little care in the choosing of his wording. We all KNOW to which company he refers and who's design he has copied and tried to improve on. There is, of course, a great many items on is site which are his design and concept. Perhaps if Randall decides to begin a similar process we will see PDA concepts appear in the Ironmind catalog.

As has been mentioned before I do not include grippers in any of my statements as Warren Tetting and others would need mentioning.

If we agree that we KNOW whose designs and creations John has tried and suceeded on improving let us at least admit that we are party to, by buying, that little deciet. Don't then add insult to injury by expecting John or even WW to take the name and use that as well - that may well be why 2 /38ths are available but hasn't been mentioned - no salt in the creators wound please.. :whacked

You are overreacting. My point was you use the terms very loosely and interchangeably. They are different terms. One is for publishing for example.

My point has nothing to do with what's going on with who. Also, I wouldn't worry about John or anyone else for that matter. I suppose what he does is UP TO HIM and his attorneys. Just like what you do in response to others is up to you and your attorneys. :)

Also, last time I checked no one here was copying any "designs" unless WW is around lurking? ;)

Steve,

A patent search involves quite a lot of legal work- all

existing patents must be compared to the new seeker's

invention. It is not an easy task- at least in America.

Tom Lincir of Ivanko Barbell has considerable experience

in this field, and in the international aspects of it as well.

A bar length cannot be patented, nor can a bar diameter.

Days ago when you posted that you had a copyright for

the MB is when I for one pointed out the difference between a patent and a copyright, because whether or not you have access to the printed definitions, you used the wrong term- no big deal we all slip up.

In regard to my writings for Flex, they indeed are the sole

property of Weider FOREVER, and even I cannot use them

elsewhere for a specified period of time. Trust me, there

is a copyright involved in this case. :D

You are overreacting. My point was you use the terms very loosely and interchangeably. They are different terms. One is for publishing for example.

My point has nothing to do with what's going on with who. Also, I wouldn't worry about John or anyone else for that matter. I suppose what he does is UP TO HIM and his attorneys. Just like what you do in response to others is up to you and your attorneys. :)

Also, last time I checked no one here was copying any "designs" unless WW is around lurking? ;)

I agree that I do use the terms as you describe. I think you also know the point I'm making. I know, as we all do here, that the grippers from Ironmind are less than ideal but wouldn't anyone to copy something I had taken a lot of time and effort over. None here would welcome that feeling.

Not copying designs - plurzzee :whacked

Joe you mention Tom of Ivanko. Would you care to enlighten others here to the many, many times he has been taken to court over supposed copyright infringement by companies who claim he used their designs even though similar have been in existance prior to Ivanko and the afore-mentioned companies creation (viz the plates with handles/holes to grip which Pullum and others made).

Patent searches I am well aware are a royal pain. Never-the-less I would defend my right to use the MDB in both design and name.

No, I would not care to reveal what I know about Tom and

his patent searches, and the lawsuits, except to say he always WINS because he has been able to prove via

patent searches and other means that neither he nor the

person suing him invented said product, merely adapted

it.

The slotted plates, so far as I know were born in England,

and Tom now owns some of the very plates that proved

his case in court.

Old guy,

Yes the over loads are ego awarding for me :D as they are somewhat less grip oriented(compared to that slippery,shifting Rolling Thunder) AND ,of course the overlaods gets you used to pulling out of that unique Rolling Thunder stance...with heavier weight.

The big Ring should be fun..as its more fun to lift heavier weights.... ;) I hope this isn't taken as overconfidence but we will probably need to build our own longer weight pin...and do this lift standing on the 100#'s (as in the Eagle loops photo)or we'll build a platform.

Should help out in the long run....and makes the pulling of the Rolling Thunder ONLY limited by your grip.

The 3 inch rolling Thunder facsimile?will just be a real bastard for both Josh and I as we DON'T have giant hands."That which does not kill you.....and all of that rot :D

We may even build a slightly fatter pinch block...bigger than the IM big block...the IM pinch block is the barometer- i feel -but a fatter block may help bring up the poundage.

Did i mention we have a real nice vertical bar lift? :rolleyes.Its a little too slippery though :erm

I've just about got the lady that owns the gym to spit the cost on a nice pair of 200 pound dumbells.

There are actually others that could use them for other lifts...

We were joking around the other day with her and we said we'd buy one....and she agreed..to buy the other "when you tough guys can press em"She's pretty cool.

Being a single guy it's tough having both wrists and elbows out of commission..... :laugh:laugh especialy when I'm "ugly as an oak tree"LOL..LOL.. :whistel