Chains - Bands

kogba

Hello fellow grip-maniacs :) ,

I'm thinking of starting training with chains or bands on my light-work days(I'm not a powerlifter, but I think anyone could be benefitted by this kind of workouts).

Should I buy bands or chains? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Do you have an experience in this kind of training or anything you'd advice me to do?

P.S.: I'm planning on moving on a new apartment soon and I can't wait to, finanlly, order a power rack and olympic bar-weights(I use standard ones for the time and I also have 2 adjustable weight stands that I use for bench/squat). I train alone at home, as you understand.

Thanks

Do you mean use them to help you lift? If that's the case, then no, I don't think it's a good idea. Only lift what your hands can hold.

Yes, that's what I intend to use them for, to help increase my lifts. So, you advice against. Do you believe it won't help me at all or even cause me some kind of injury? (I'm just asking).

Thanks

If you're going to use them for "speed days" then both are a good choice. I would go with bands if you're on a budget, cause 5/8" thick chains are VERY expensive! Then you have to get the adapter(or make one) that will fit on an olympic barbell. For bands check out Iron Woody or Jumpstretch. I own both and are excellent!

Hello fellow grip-maniacs :) ,

I'm thinking of starting training with chains or bands on my light-work days(I'm not a powerlifter, but I think anyone could be benefitted by this kind of workouts).

Should I buy bands or chains? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?

Do you have an experience in this kind of training or anything you'd advice me to do?

P.S.: I'm planning on moving on a new apartment soon and I can't wait to, finanlly, order a power rack and olympic bar-weights(I use standard ones for the time and I also have 2 adjustable weight stands that I use for bench/squat). I train alone at home, as you understand.

Thanks

Chains and bands feel a little different and offer different resistance variations over the range of motion.

Advantages of chains: Just hang them onto the bar, e.g. with a small chain and carabiner (easy hight adjustment) and you are ready to press, squat etc. They move around somewhat, this making stabilizing more difficult and working more muscle.

Disadvantages of chains: Noise!

Advantages of bands: No noise. Two different directions of resistance (from top or bottom), or actually more as you are not restricted to use them perpendicular to the ground . Can be doubled for far more resistance. Easy to carry if you take them with you to a gym. Can be used for training while travelling.

Disadvantages of band: Need for something solid/heavy to anchor them onto.

All in all, if the noise the chains make is no problem I would opt for both over the long term. I would start with a pair of bands and add more when the budget allows.

I use bands from top or bottom, chains , sometimes bands and chains combined (only on heavy stuff). Switching between the options lets the body adapt to different demands.

One major advantage of both chains and bands is that you can work less often with squat/DL suit, bench shirt, wraps while you train to lift well with the supportive gear, and the bodystructures (joints etc.) have to adapt more, as there is no outside stabilizing (from the gear). I usally do one test with suit, shirt etc. before a comp, otherwise I use only an old squat suit with staps down for short phases of speed squatting, the rest of training sees only belt or wristwraps (where necesarry).

i like chains better...

not as reactive as bands but they also don't keep you in a fixed ROM. The heavier the band the closer you're getting to a "smith machine" effect.

love really light bands but outside of that...don't really feel they have much of a place anymore cept for rehabilitation purposes and for variety.

Best advice for band usage I can give you is more actual weight..less bands...in all things bands.

chains are awesome but again..you don't want too much weight deloading or you will end up developing limits on the ranges of your power throughout the ROM if used all the time or incorrectly over a long period of time.