It Happened Five Years Ago

Sybersnott

Can you guess what incredible feat of strength officially happened five years ago on this day... January 10, 1998? ???

People still talk about it. Some people can't believe it happened. It is without question the most discussed topic on this forum.

If I gave you any clues, it might give it away. Can you guess what I'm talking about? :mellow

That's too easy. Joe Kinney closing the #4 (And I didn't even look up the date to check). Syber, you are like Joe Roark Jr. now.

Your going to have to do better than that. Ever Since I saw Kinney's name on the #4 list, that year was engrained into my head.

Edited by HandsofStone

Five years already! In those five years the #3 has been closed by about 70 people and has become almost common place on this forum. The #4 remains as mysterious a challenge as ever. I hope this is the year for many of you out there seriously in the hunt. Best of luck!

Mike M.

Last time I checked with Randy Strossen, about 100 of the

#4 grippers had been sold.

There are 1,400 plus members here, and thousands of

lifters not here, so a #4 remains a rare-to-encounter item,

and therefore, rare to compare one 4 to another in terms

of resistance.

As I recall, about 100 of the Inch replicas have been sold

also.

Much easier to carry the #4 hither and yon than the Inch

or the MB, of which only seven are scattered worldwide,

with only three of those in the USA.

In this regard, how many board members have ever even

been in the presence of a #4?

Yep.

One lay there on a friend's shelf, staring daggers at me. Ignorant of what it truly was, I arrogantly stared back and challenged it to a contest.

When it failed to respond, I let it be.

I've seen one, but no, I've never laid my hands on one.

I've bought one recently. And i use it in my training. It is not as impressive as was the #3 when i first started my training (could barely close the #1 at that time) but off course i've made some progress since then. I wish i had bought it along with my #1, #2 and #3: it would have been something to lay my hand on the #4 at the very begining of my grip training :mellow

I own 4 of them, but I've seen 15 or better in total. I think I remember the comment was "somewhere above 100" #4's that were sold. I doubt I've seen anywhere close to 10% of the total number of #4's out there. I think there's gotta be several hundred out there at least.

BTW, they're all hard so far :bow

Pat,

When I ask Strossen for the number of 4's in circulation,

he did say something like 'little more than a hundred' or

somesuch. He declined to be specific, so I asked that if I

mentioned 'about 100'- would that be in the ballpark, and

he said yes.

I have no way of knowing if several hundred more have

been sold since then (year ago?). And frankly, I do not see the point of keeping the figure unspecified, but whatever the need for secrecy in the matter is, beats me.

Guest Mikael Siversson

I have two, I just got the second one and like it as it fits my hand nicely (not very wide). The first one is too wide (just under 80 mm wide) for me. There would definitely be more than a dozen in Sweden alone.

I also have two. The wider one is a little bit easier to sweep. Both are pretty narrow though, and it only is about 1-2 mm difference between them. I cant really feel much difference between them in the closed position. I guess its because they are both hard grippers.

I have one. It's the only one I have felt.

Mike M.

p.s. - I would love to know how it compares to others and I don't use it much. I would be willing to ship it to any of the board regulars if they would do me the favor of trying it and returning it to me when done. I'll gladly pay shipping. If interested please PM.

Edited by supersqueeze

I purchased a 4 a while back out of curiosity, to see what it was like for myself. I started using it in my training to make the 3 easier to close. Now that I am doing the K T A program, I must just go on to try to close it. Oddy the 4 is the only gripper that I can continue to close after I have stopped during the close and thought I could go no further.

I got my #4 gripper about a month before Kinney officially closed his.

Mine is like a rock... it is a brick. :( However, I am hopeful that someday I "can" close it - it is that ultimate measuring stick of grip power. :bow

I've got one #4. I purchased #1-#4 almost exactly two years ago. I can't say much about the #4 but I've never closed a harder #2 or tried to close a harder #3 than the ones I received.

BC.

A video will be required, also dna testing. Only the most credible witnesses will be accepted. Each closing will be analysed and discussed for many weeks. Grippers will have to be heavily guarded or they will get lost or stolen. It will come to light that #4 grippers vary even more than the 3.

If What Kinney did five years ago had happened today instead, whilst many of us would have liked to believe it, we would also have demanded very convincing proof and very credible and independant witnesses. It may even be that when the #4 does get closed under irrefutable circumstances, that for many will be accepted as the first true closing of a #4.

If rule #5 had been in force 5 years ago, that proof MIGHT have surfaced. Not would or wouldn't, but MIGHT. But it wasn't in force, so we will have to "believe" what we must.