Thomas Inch Bell's For Sale Again ;)

Duey1267

Ok guys you have all asked for it so here it is. Steve at Slater's Hardware is selling an ACCURATE Thomas Inch bell replica. It is 172 pounds with a 2 3/8" handle diameter. He is selling them for $499.00 If you are serious about it then here is your chance. He may not have them for very long.

does the price include shipping?shifty.gif

does the price include shipping?shifty.gif

You thinking of buying one for your best bud in Louisiana! :tongue

I tried calling and got no answer. (They closed at 6.) But the shipping for the 8" Monster Bell is $48 in the US and $100 to Canada. So, Im guessing it can't be much more than that. Hopefully, anyway. :whistel

Paul, if you want i could pick it up for you and hold on to it until you save enough for shipping :D It looks like it is close to where we are going for Gripmas

Is this a fair price i havent seen them for sale for such a long time?

rico

The price does not include shipping.

Shipping to a commercial address in Texas is anywhere from $80.00 - $100.00

Nearly twice that if it's to a residential address.

I got a quote on shipping 2 days ago. I was on the list of those interested.

This is how I know in case anyone is wondering.

$500.00 - $600.00+ is more than I was expecting. Too much in my opinion.

That's about what I thought they would go for since it's very hard to find one at this point and they are the only ones making them. If it is cast it would have to be that much for them to make $ with as few as they would sell or be able to make at a time. If I had the cash right now I would get one, but I don't. If I got one I could just go pick it up because they are about 45 min. south of Columbus.

Edited by nickr104

guys you can save on shipping by listing the dumbell on the USHIP site and having people bid on the shippment, sometimes you can get lucky and if the truck driver is going your way anyway, you can get a pretty good deal,

for example ive had 10s - 45s dumbells shipped door to door from Pennsylvania to Chicago, IL for 100 $

Edited by knyaz

I spoke with Steve at Slater's today.

To echo what Joe said above, shipping is between $80-$110. Depending on location, and this is to a commercial address. (Can be anywhere, as long as it is commercial. Your place of work qualifies.) I think this is a great deal on shipping. I checked on shipping an Inch in the past and was quoted from $250-$400.

This has been over a year in the making. He needs 5-6 people to order and pay up front to get the foundry to produce them. I asked if the foundry was guaranteeing 172#, he said that if it didn't weigh 172# that he would refund the money.

He told me that his main interest in strongman, not grip, but was planning on attending a grip contest in a couple weekends. Turns out he was talking about Gripmas. He is going to be there with his "Baby Inch" - 155#'s. So, all of you guys that are there, be sure to check it out and report back.

Steve expressed some interest in joining the Gripboard, and possibly becoming a sponsor as well. So, hopefully that works out.

We talked for about 20 minutes, seems like a great guy. If you have any other specific questions, we might have covered them as well. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. Just trying to be as breif as possible here.

I just need to save up and I will order one after the holiday's. Its just a drive for me as well, which is nice to save on shipping.

????????

Ir sounds as if Steve is coming to Gripmas - for any of you attending - I imagine he would bring it with him and you could pick it up here and save the shipping. You would have to ask him all that of course but it might be worth a phone call.

Steve's a good guy and I'm glad to see him doing this. We started exchanging e-mails about the idea many months ago and it looks like it's now coming to fruition.

-Rex

• 3 weeks later...

so who is getting one?

rico

• 1 month later...

so who is getting one?

rico

Did anyone buy one of these yet? Perhaps we can get Steve to lower the price to a couple hundred bucks? Many of us could scrape that sorta cash together, and order a bunch at one time. It would be cool to see some of the new guys getting their hands on one of these. Because I fear many are in basements never to resurface again or owned by retired grip enthuastists, so there needs to be a good supply at a very fair price in todays economy. And if enough are made in bulk at once it can happen.

Rico

so who is getting one?

rico

Did anyone buy one of these yet? Perhaps we can get Steve to lower the price to a couple hundred bucks? Many of us could scrape that sorta cash together, and order a bunch at one time. It would be cool to see some of the new guys getting their hands on one of these. Because I fear many are in basements never to resurface again or owned by retired grip enthuastists, so there needs to be a good supply at a very fair price in todays economy. And if enough are made in bulk at once it can happen.

Rico

I agree , They would probably need about 20+ to get a better wholesale discount, Id pay around 300 + for an Inch if we got more people he would definately lower the price, lets see if more people will go in on this deal

so who is getting one?

rico

Rico

I agree , They would probably need about 20+ to get a better wholesale discount, Id pay around 300 + for an Inch if we got more people he would definately lower the price, lets see if more people will go in on this deal

I'd be very interested.

so who is getting one?

rico

Rico

This is exactly right. If Inch DB's were in every YMCA, lifting the Inch would be as common as squatting 600 pounds. If I ever make some big money, I'll scatter Inch DB's and blobs all over the world.

Edited by The Natural

so who is getting one?

rico

Rico

Gee Rico, why not just make them free?

I want to try, I'm also trying to aquire some of those rock crushing balls fromk one of the cement plants in Nazarath, but no luck so far. And I'm also working on a propane tank circus dumbell. But in the end Jedd I still want the real thing to lift with. The prob is all our money is spent raising the kids and bills, that's y I don't have one yet and id bet its the reason for a lot of others as well. Some day ill have one when the money is right.

Rico

Ya gotta understand bro. Steve is always putting out new stuff. In order to put out an inch takes a lot of work, time and money for him too. Plus the raw material to pour an Inch is pricey. He prices them based on what he needs to get in order to make a living. It's not like he developed them for $100 and then pours each one for $10.

I see what your saying, ill just have to save up I guess.

Rico

Ya gotta understand bro. Steve is always putting out new stuff. In order to put out an inch takes a lot of work, time and money for him too. Plus the raw material to pour an Inch is pricey. He prices them based on what he needs to get in order to make a living. It's not like he developed them for $100 and then pours each one for $10.

What would be considered a fair price for an Inch? I would really like to get one of these, but I have to admit that $500 plus another $100 for shipping sounds kind of high. Are they worth that kind of money?

Jedd is right. I've spoken to Steve on the phone about this before, and making an Inch is *very* costly.

I think the term is "economy of scale" or something - meaning if you only have a few of something made up - the cost per unit is very high. Let's say it takes $1000 to get set up just to make the first piece and you make 10 units - the start up cost is only divided ten ways for $100 each - now if you make up 1000 units - that same start up cost is only a buck a unit. This is a vast simplification but you get the idea.

I get into this at the machine shop - it takes a fixed amount of time to set up the computer on the mill - so if I have one item made I still pay the whole set up - but if I have ten of them made - it's still only one set up cost.

Edited by climber511