Olympic Lifters Strength In Powerlifting Lifts

djukac

How much do you think the olympic lifters will lift in the powerlifting contests.I know that they don't do much bench press so I think that that will be theie weakness.But they do squat big weights and I don't know about deadlifting.So what do you guys think can they be close to the powerlifters, in terms of raw strength?

How much do you think the olympic lifters will lift in the powerlifting contests.I know that they don't do much bench press so I think that that will be theie weakness.But they do squat big weights and I don't know about deadlifting.So what do you guys think can they be close to the powerlifters, in terms of raw strength?

You may be surprised how well they would do. I believe olympic lifters

are some of the strongest overall humans on the planet. Some of the poundages

they clean & jerk are mind-boggling.

They would do well I think. The bench would be the kicker. They squat all the time and the first movment of evry clean they do is a deadlift.

The question isn't precise.

If by 'olympic lifter' you just mean 'weightlifter', then that would all depend on the genetic talent of the lifter. There are legions of weak weightlifters.

If you mean, in contrast, a weightlifter who qualifies for the Olympics, then I'd say they would suck at the bench, do well in the squat, and vary from middling to great in the deadlift.

-Rex

They are training bench also, probably every is capable to lift 2x bodyweight.

Squat is much different, basicly their squat is quadricpes&gluteus exercise, while powerlifter in squat use more then 50% back, difference is also in stance, weightlifters lift in narrow and pl mostly in wide stance.

It is hard to compare as they have very much different move in squat.

Chakarov for example,who was famous at youtube with his NO NO NO Squat of 260kgX2 ,could lift in squat 360kg at @95kg but to lift that with pl technique is for him mission imposible as is oposite.

You can compare relative and real explosive strength wich is much at WL side...also is known that,in lower categories, weightlifters are faster at 30meters then athletes.

P.S.

Shane Hamman from usa, ex weightlifter then powerlifter is owner of biggest squat in IPF 457.5kg

Guest Bullitt

With a year to train bench, I think they would do very well if the competition was raw. I mean, I don't see a ton of people doing a lot more than Hosseign in the squat. I think his pull would be more than respectable too. He is so strong in the clean and snatch. Here he is toying with 617 lb for a double in the front squat: no suit, no wraps.

Reza is phenomen, he never push himself.

But he is not owner of biggest squat among weightlifters,there is Taranenko with his 380kg, and there was another russian much above others,who was capable for 450kg raw.. i can't remember his name...

This young 19years old american weightlifter(BW 134kg) is doing good

http://www.youtube.com/user/BROZKNOWS#p/u/1/OMBsGbWBlX8

Guest Bullitt

Reza is phenomen, he never push himself.

But he is not owner of biggest squat among weightlifters,there is Taranenko with his 380kg, and there was another russian much above others,who was capable for 450kg raw.. i can't remember his name...

This young 19years old american weightlifter(BW 134kg) is doing good

http://www.youtube.com/user/BROZKNOWS#p/u/1/OMBsGbWBlX8

:blink:blink19!!! Holy crap! :blink:blink

The question isn't precise.

If by 'olympic lifter' you just mean 'weightlifter', then that would all depend on the genetic talent of the lifter. There are legions of weak weightlifters.

If you mean, in contrast, a weightlifter who qualifies for the Olympics, then I'd say they would suck at the bench, do well in the squat, and vary from middling to great in the deadlift.

-Rex

Yeah I meant a weightlifter who qualifies for the Olympics in the snatch and clean and jerk.

With a year to train bench, I think they would do very well if the competition was raw. I mean, I don't see a ton of people doing a lot more than Hosseign in the squat. I think his pull would be more than respectable too. He is so strong in the clean and snatch. Here he is toying with 617 lb for a double in the front squat: no suit, no wraps.

Correct me if I am wrong I think Hossein holds the world record for clean and jerk with 263 kg.

They are training bench also, probably every is capable to lift 2x bodyweight.

Squat is much different, basicly their squat is quadricpes&gluteus exercise, while powerlifter in squat use more then 50% back, difference is also in stance, weightlifters lift in narrow and pl mostly in wide stance.

It is hard to compare as they have very much different move in squat.

Chakarov for example,who was famous at youtube with his NO NO NO Squat of 260kgX2 ,could lift in squat 360kg at @95kg but to lift that with pl technique is for him mission imposible as is oposite.

You can compare relative and real explosive strength wich is much at WL side...also is known that,in lower categories, weightlifters are faster at 30meters then athletes.

P.S.

Shane Hamman from usa, ex weightlifter then powerlifter is owner of biggest squat in IPF 457.5kg

Shane Hamman turned from Powerlifting to Weightlifting, he set his squat world record in 1996 (he turned 24 that year). He did his PL squat extremly fast, I've never seen another PLer that fast. This helped a lot with his change to OLY lifting.

Many top OLY lifters could also be top PLers, more than top PLers could be top OLY lifters, because WL favours a certain body type (long torso, short legs and arms) whereas PL allows adaption of the lifts to more different bodytypes, so even lifters with very short torso and long arms and legs can be world class (e.g. Giovanni Brunazzi, inofficial DL WR of 360kg in 1996, at 81.3kg BW, was a guest starter for my team in the "Bavaria Cup").

The question is kind of like asking how pro basketball players would do in the pro football leagues. Some might do all right after a while, others would not. Without exception, all athletes at the highest levels have that little bit extra that the rest of us don't have that makes them great at their chosen sport and/or position - but that may not be what is needed to perform well at other sports or positions. Just as power lifters going over to WL has mixed success - the reverse would be true as well I think. Strong guys will always be strong but not have the skill or practice to perform at the highest levels across the board. Bo Jackson and Dion Sanders were examples of someone who excelled at two sports at the highest levels - but there aren't many who have ever done it.

OK ,I didn't know that about Hamman.I was conviced that it was oposite.

Anyway ,these lifts shows for what weightlifters ar capable and that people are wrong when think that it is lot of tehniqoue in their lifting and not so much strength.

Difference btw jerk and press is only about 30kg:

Edited by The Hack