Plate (wrist) Curls

djukac

I did some plate wrist curls today and my fingers were fatigued very easily. I think that it is a great exercise for finger strength and also for wrist strength.Do you guys do this kind of exercise and how do you progress?

P.S. I searched the website for this kind of topic and didn't found one.

I would like to read the opinion of a strong guy too. But if I had to play armchair expert I'd say that it does train your fingers, but statically in that possition (fingers almost inline with palm). So it wouldn't be very useful in other possitions, like for armwrestling where you need strong fingers but at 90* with your palm. Just my thoughts, don't take my word on anything strength-related. :upsidedwn

I use plate wrist curls exclusively for my wrist/forearm curl strength.

I use the rafter pinch device that Stronger Grip makes. I think the plate wrist curls are excellent for all around hand strength!

I started doing these earlier this year for the bhsa championship and found them a great exercise, the way to progress is to start with say a 10kg plate and gradually add weigh with a loading pin until your at about 16-17kg then move up to a 15kg plate which is harder do to the larger diameter, then do the same until about 22-23kg then move to a 20kg plate. I have so far managed 20kg+ with the pin but never managed a 20kg disc although I do think its possible.

Yeahh I think the best way to progress is the rafter pinch block. Ive made really awesome gains this way from not even being able to plate curl a 25 with strict form to knocking out 8 or so strict reps with a 35 in a time period of maybe 8-9 months.

I started doing these earlier this year for the bhsa championship and found them a great exercise, the way to progress is to start with say a 10kg plate and gradually add weigh with a loading pin until your at about 16-17kg then move up to a 15kg plate which is harder do to the larger diameter, then do the same until about 22-23kg then move to a 20kg plate. I have so far managed 20kg+ with the pin but never managed a 20kg disc although I do think its possible.

There is only one man on internet who did stric curls with 15 kilo plate,I think that even Mr Horne is not capable for doing them in that maner.It would be great to see on video youre abilities in this great exercise.

It is very strange how you load on 10kilo plate by loading pin, I was loading them with straping small ones on top, and when i strap 4kilos on 10kilo plate it is equivalent with 15kilo plate.

I found them progressing good when combinating them with heavy full db wrist curls.

There is only one man on internet who did stric curls with 15 kilo plate,I think that even Mr Horne is not capable for doing them in that maner.It would be great to see on video youre abilities in this great exercise.

It is very strange how you load on 10kilo plate by loading pin, I was loading them with straping small ones on top, and when i strap 4kilos on 10kilo plate it is equivalent with 15kilo plate.

I found them progressing good when combinating them with heavy full db wrist curls.

Hi,

I'm not one to claim lifts I cant do

These are the results from this years BHSA championships, as you can see most people including myself did at least a 15kg plate and this was strict under competition conditions(I'M Stew K).

Plate Wrist Curl

L/H+R/H=total

Steve G: 15+2.5+pin(19.10) plus 15+3.75+pin(20.35) = 39.45kg

Paul S: 15+2.5+pin(19.10) plus 15+2.5+pin(19.10) = 38.20kg

Sam S: 15+1.25+pin (17.85) plus 15+1.25+pin (17.85) = 35.70

Stew K: 15 (15) plus 15+pin (16.60) = 31.60

Fred C: 10+2.5+pin (14.10) plus 10+2.5+pin (14.10) = 28.20

Obviously this was some months ago and Iv'e come on a bit since then and if I one day manage a 20kg plate I'll video it and put it up on this board, but I wouldn't video anything less than that as its not really good enough to be worth videoing.

BHSA-BRITISH HAND STRENGTH ASSOCIATION,

I had no idea that you have competitions in PWC.I will search youre forum a bit.)

I did not wanted to be ofended toward You,

PWC is for me one of best exercises,very good transfering on armwrestling and i am happy if there are people who practise it pasionly.

20kilo plate is a great goal,would love to see that,

I will use You're advice and start doing them with loading pin.

Cheers

Josip

Short of Mark Felix or someone with similiarly alien long hands, nobody is ever going to strictly PWC a 20kg plate

I personally believe its possible and hope one day I can do it, I reckon Steve Gardner, Chad Woodhall or Laine Snook and a few others could all do it if they focuassed on it for a few of months(in fact it wouldn't surprise me if Laine could do it without a lot of training).

Hope I'm right but if i'm not then I'm sure I will have improved trying to get there so that's all that matters really.

Would love to see someone prove me wrong but I just don't think so. To be clear I'm talking about a normal 20kg plate not some shorty.

Would love to see someone prove me wrong but I just don't think so. To be clear I'm talking about a normal 20kg plate not some shorty.

yeah a std plate, Ive held one horrizontal and had it moving up a little before it popping out of my hand and I'm nowhere near the level of hand strength of the other guys I mentioned so I reckon it'll go if one of them wants to do it.

yeah a std plate, Ive held one horrizontal and had it moving up a little before it popping out of my hand and I'm nowhere near the level of hand strength of the other guys I mentioned so I reckon it'll go if one of them wants to do it.

Are you talking half ROM then? I'm referring to the full ROM. Even half would be something very special but I think half ROM would be possible.

Short of Mark Felix or someone with similiarly alien long hands, nobody is ever going to strictly PWC a 20kg plate

Hey Josh, Adam Glass is aweful close to this if he hasn't already.

Adam is a BEAST at plate curls.

Check him out on You Tube.

Hey Josh, Adam Glass is aweful close to this if he hasn't already.

Adam is a BEAST at plate curls.

Check him out on You Tube.

Plate wrist curls are MUCH harder than plate curls. I've seen some pics of Adam witha 50# standard, which is significantly shorter than a 45# plate but BEASTLY nonetheless. I need to friend request that guy so I can see all of those :mosher

Yeah I think at the comp we had to dip just below parralel so that's what I am reffering to really, I do use full range when I train and can do a 15kg this way but a 20kg would be a different story.

I see now we're talking about plate wrist curls.

Sorry about that Josh.

I don't know what Adam does with PWC.

Yeah ,I was also thinking on FULL ROM, like Arne what was doing,

or this guy

Gardner from top of the list,that you Stew put is this i believe

Yeah Josh's ones (2nd vid) are superb and I cant see anyone doing them like that with a 20kg plate at least for a while, I was just going by what is a legal competition lift as this is how things are normally judged but obviously the full range is a far more impressive and more difficult lift.

Yeah Josh's ones (2nd vid) are superb and I cant see anyone doing them like that with a 20kg plate at least for a while, I was just going by what is a legal competition lift as this is how things are normally judged but obviously the full range is a far more impressive and more difficult lift.

That is understandable.

Rules must be and this "just under paralele" is the best way for competitions.