What Is Considered A Decent Bench Press?

astrojetred

Hi, all. I tried to search the forum, but I it didn't yield much, and I'd rather hear from you all then search the web. What is considered a decent bench press as far as weight? I'm not trying to have the best bench in the world; most can tell what my goal is by my screen name. I used a max rep calculator, and it put me at around 300lb. I haven't tested that out, though.

Hi, all. I tried to search the forum, but I it didn't yield much, and I'd rather hear from you all then search the web. What is considered a decent bench press as far as weight? I'm not trying to have the best bench in the world; most can tell what my goal is by my screen name. I used a max rep calculator, and it put me at around 300lb. I haven't tested that out, though.

Really depends on body weight but regardless anyone I see benching 315 or more gets a congratulations from me.

I'm not sure what a reasonable weight would be. Like CC said, it depends on bodyweight a lot. My long term goal is twice my bodyweight and that's going to take a while.

315 anytime anywhere no excuse is a great bench then start adding reps my opinion

Assuming steroid free-

225=okay

315=better than most everyone in the gym

405=very good

495=you're among the strongest in the country

For little guys (under 180 or so), 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.25xbodyweight is a good approximation for the above numbers.

I was at a contest in Cincinnati 2 weeks ago and a man in his mid 40's benched his body weight (175lbs) 52 times. 2 hours later he did 230lbs for 20 reps. He was a machine!!

So it really depends on what type muscle you want to build.... 1 rep max strength or have muscle endurance strength. Personally, anyone that can rep 100% of his body weight is impressive, especially 52 strict reps!!

Guest Bullitt

I think benching your bodyweight is the buy-in to play. 3 wheels is where it starts getting impressive for those guys over 200 lbs. I've been beating my head against 300 for months now. Just haven't gotten it yet. I have done 225 for 12, which would equal 320 or so on most calculators. Right now, not really doing a ton of benching, I can do 225 for 10 and my max is probably right around 285. 1.5 X bodyweight is a great acheivement. 2X is sick.

I think benching your bodyweight is the buy-in to play. 3 wheels is where it starts getting impressive for those guys over 200 lbs. I've been beating my head against 300 for months now. Just haven't gotten it yet. I have done 225 for 12, which would equal 320 or so on most calculators. Right now, not really doing a ton of benching, I can do 225 for 10 and my max is probably right around 285. 1.5 X bodyweight is a great acheivement. 2X is sick.

I HELPED 4 FRIENDS LIGHTWEIGHTS 150 TO ABOUT 170 GET WAY OVER 300 WHO WORKED OUT WITH ME IF YOU DO THIS WORKOUT YOU WILL DO OVER 300 IN A A MONTH FROM NOW WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW DO 5 SETS OF 5 REPS WITH A WEIGHT YOU CAN JUST GET FOR 5 DONT BOUNCE THE WEIGHTS UP TAKE A BREAK UNTIL YOU RECOVER 100 PERCENT DO THE SECOND SET DONT WORRY IF YOU CANT GET ALL 5 THE FIRST COUPLE WORKOUTS TRY TO SPACE TWO SESSIONS A WEEK LIKE WENDSDAY AND SUNDAY OR ANY DAYS SPACED 3 OR 4 DAYS APART AND IN BETWEEN DO YOUR TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS NOSE BREAKERS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO AND SOME FLYS AND LIGHTER STUFF FOR YOUR CHEST TO RECOVER SOME DAYS IT WILL FEEL LIKE YOU ARE NOT DOING A GOOD WORKOUT BUT THATS GOOD AFTER YOU GET ALL 5X5 EASY GO UP IN WEIGHT DO A COUPLE MAXES EVERY 2 WEEKS GOOD LUCK YOU WILL GET IT FOR MORE THAN ONE

Guest Bullitt

I HELPED 4 FRIENDS LIGHTWEIGHTS 150 TO ABOUT 170 GET WAY OVER 300 WHO WORKED OUT WITH ME IF YOU DO THIS WORKOUT YOU WILL DO OVER 300 IN A A MONTH FROM NOW WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW DO 5 SETS OF 5 REPS WITH A WEIGHT YOU CAN JUST GET FOR 5 DONT BOUNCE THE WEIGHTS UP TAKE A BREAK UNTIL YOU RECOVER 100 PERCENT DO THE SECOND SET DONT WORRY IF YOU CANT GET ALL 5 THE FIRST COUPLE WORKOUTS TRY TO SPACE TWO SESSIONS A WEEK LIKE WENDSDAY AND SUNDAY OR ANY DAYS SPACED 3 OR 4 DAYS APART AND IN BETWEEN DO YOUR TRICEPS PUSHDOWNS NOSE BREAKERS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO AND SOME FLYS AND LIGHTER STUFF FOR YOUR CHEST TO RECOVER SOME DAYS IT WILL FEEL LIKE YOU ARE NOT DOING A GOOD WORKOUT BUT THATS GOOD AFTER YOU GET ALL 5X5 EASY GO UP IN WEIGHT DO A COUPLE MAXES EVERY 2 WEEKS GOOD LUCK YOU WILL GET IT FOR MORE THAN ONE

I will definitely give it a shot Dan. Thanks!

I'm 245lbs. I'll have to get to a bench some how, and see what I can really, assuming the calculator is not a reliable source.

I think the problem you are running into is all in your head. It seems like you have a mental block; try putting 310lb, or even 320lb up. Tell us if it worked.

There's an article on a website, that I don't think I'm allowed to mention, where a man wrote about a mental block with reps. Anyway, he ended up hitting 800 reps, I believe it was, and only stopped because he got board. It was hundreds over his goal. I'm sorry, I don't remember the link, or the exact content of the article; It's been a while. There are several articles with the same topic, only an internet search away. Clay Edgin has a similar story in a Q&A on this site.

Guest Bullitt

Definitely could be a mental thing at this point. I was able to do a strict seated press with 225 a few weeks ago. No way I should be able to do that and not bench 300. I will get it before the end of the year. That and MM2 are the last goals for 2009 I haven't hit. MM2 is coming up so...

Definitely could be a mental thing at this point. I was able to do a strict seated press with 225 a few weeks ago. No way I should be able to do that and not bench 300. I will get it before the end of the year. That and MM2 are the last goals for 2009 I haven't hit. MM2 is coming up so...

Wow! A 225 seated press is awesome, Mike! When I was benching 315 strict as a 181lb. class powerlifter (no shirt) I could do maybe 170 on a seated press.

Definitely mental.

Alright, so I did 16 strict push ups. Yeah, yeah, no big deal, but I weight 245lb. I did an accurate measurement of weight for my push up, and each push up in a strict knuckle position was worth 185lb. I could probably have done close to 20 reps, but they would not be as tight and close together as the first 16 were. So using a max rep calculator that went up to 20 reps, put me at 318.2lb max rep. I really hope that this is true. I will try and get in a gym on a guest pass type of deal, and test it out. I just hope I don't run into Bullitts problem:/

I agree with Bob's post. I was thinking a 1.5 x BWT is a good respectable bench before I saw his post. I like the steps he has.

A pushup story, I haven't done high rep pushups since the fitness tests in HS (about 100 years ago), and recently one of our OMFS Surgeons challenged me to a push up contest before a surgery (he's a bit of an odd duck). Right outside the OR room we were going in to. He's about 6'2", and maybe 150-160lbs. I told him he'd probably double what I could do, as I'm about power not endurance. He kept bugging me, and there were a couple of pretty cute young surg techs watching (proving I'm not too old to suffer from MSS (male situational stupidity)) brought on by testosterone. So he drops & gets 55. When he got past 50 I figured I was good & screwed, but managed to crank out 56 & stopped. Had maybe 5 more in me.

A lot depends on your build also - short arms and a thick chest usually equals a much better bench press number than a guy with the same general strength but with a wide flat chest and arms that reach to his knees. But the second guy probably will have the edge on the pulls. Bob's numbers seem right on to me also.

Agreed. Regardless of what many forums might have you believe 3 plates a side without your buddy doing half the work and some stupid ass bounce off your chest is good. My best is 418lbs in touch n go style. I'm aiming for a 440lbs single this xmas.

Edited by mobsterone