Help With Dl Form

Guest Bullitt

I am trying to increase my axle deadlift numbers. I know my form could use some work. I welcome brutally honest, constructive criticism. These were done on a new 2" axle i just made. The most I have ever pulled on an Oly bar is 370lb DO, which I know is pathetic. Take a look and if you can see anything that would help this old man pull more, I am all ears. I do wear a belt anytime the weight goes up because I have a bad lower back. 2 surgeries for a severe herniation about 2 1/2 years ago. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks!

270 lbs X 3 axle DL:

Jedd's blog has my Deadlift 101 video on it. There I explain in good detail how to put your body in the proper position for pulling conventional and sumo.

I'm sure the same form changes will help your axle as well.

Judging from your signature, you've got some great hand strength - closed the CofC#3.5? :bow

I've never done this exercise before, but if you really want to get strong, I would alternative training sessions with "holds." Elevate the weight so that your ROM is restricted to a few inches. Throw on an extra 100+ pounds and do "holds" for 20-45 seconds - for as many sets as possible until your hands feel like they are going to fall off.

Week One

Normal training

Week two

"Holds" until your hands feel like they are going to fall off

One word of caution - it's okay to do full ROM before doing "holds" but do NOT do them afterwards as the risk of injury is quite high when you go from super heavy partials/holds to medium weight/full ROM.

Your hand "holding power" would appear to be the weak link in that exercise - I think the "holds" would get you where you need to be. At the same time, given your recent injuries, I would train with caution.

Edited by G-Man

Jedd's blog has my Deadlift 101 video on it. There I explain in good detail how to put your body in the proper position for pulling conventional and sumo.

Thanks everyone. I will definitely check it out Rick!

Great article Rick!!!

After reading that and watching my vid, I'm pretty much doing everything wrong. :blush Which explains my pathetic numbers. Hips too high at the start. Starting with a pull instead of driving with the legs. Legs are straight way to quick and last 40 % of my DL is basically a stiff legged deadlift. I'm sure there is tons more I'm doing wrong, but those were the glaring errors. I will definitely start working on this. I have been experimenting with sumo a little since GGC, but after reading this I see where I need to work more of it to help my hip strength during my conventional pulls. I really need to work on my hip flexibility as well. Since my surgery, my entire hip complex has become ridiculously inflexible.

Again, great article Rick. I encourage everyone to give it a read. It's on the Diesel Crew Site at: http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles-pdf/deadlift101.pdf

Very good article indeed.

Mike, as mentioned in the article, concentrate of loading the weight on your legs.

Keep your back straight and tight and leave your arms loose -squeeze hard to hold the weight

but DON'T PULL with them.

Work it Mike and you'll see some new PRs coming your way! :rock

check out the video link, much better info. Actually shows the form.

Guest Bullitt

After reading Rick Walker's great article on the Diesel Crew site and watching his video, I gave my deadlift another run tonight. I tried to concentrate on just a few main points:

Get my feet positioned right, get my hips in proper position with a tight ramped back, get a big belly full of air, and try to push my feet through the floor vs. pulling on bar.

Best session of DL I have ever had. Except on my second set I eaither took too big a belly full of air or my abs are too weak (I'm guessing the latter), I pulled something in my upper abdominal wall. I still went on to hit my previous PR of 380 DO which is all the weights I have. Went up much easier than it had before hurting my back.

Here's a video of my 380 pull. Please feel free to call me on any flaws you see. Gotta get some more weights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5tq-ivvB0

Form looks better!

Make sure you are concentrating on driving your feet through the floor, not pulling the weight up. Your butt rasied slightly before the weight broke the floor, which put you out of the best position for a strong pull. Watch my video again, from the side view. My back doesnt change position from the floor until the weight passes my knees and I transition into back extension to finish off. Maintain the ramp!!!

We need to get Jedd to have another get together, I will put on a deadlift 101 clinic for you guys and put 50+ pounds on your deadlifts in a matter of a few hours.

-Rick

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Stop cheating Bullit, those rubber mats raise the bar above standard deadlifting height :tongue:yikes so your max is probably like 185. :whistel

Guest Bullitt

Stop cheating Bullit, those rubber mats raise the bar above standard deadlifting height :tongue:yikes so your max is probably like 185. :whistel

:laugh Those mats keep my wife from beating my butt! :laugh Plus they sink into the carpet real nice with the weight. ;) I think I could probably pull more on a hard floor, but who knows.

As far as i can see you're form is better than mine...i dont use the legs very much and you do so, keep it up.

Looks good, but on the last vid it looks like you widened your stance and grip. Why? I keep my grip and stance tight, it feels easier to statically load the hips, glutes and abs before the pull. Just feels like a more powerful starting point for me. Your arms look fairly longish, so I wouldn't be too neurotic about starting with low hips. The guys with T-rex arms need to get the hips low to reach the bar and they mostly squat the bar up which is great if that's how you are built, but you look on the tall side with long arms. Good job on the pull, especially the D.O. part!

Brent.

On thing that I heard about foot placement that's helped a lot is to set them up the same as if you were about to do a standing broad jump like in school. It's that same loading and driving that I feel as I pull. I'm trying to ram my feet into the ground and launch myself.