Proper Diet For Grip Training

Sybersnott

Have we gone over this before? I was wondering what type of diet do you guys follow when grip training? I'm on a high protein diet right now, and that seems to be working for me (I'm injury free). I wonder if a proper diet has any effect when it comes to grip injuries, or any other type of training injuries for that matter, as I'm seeing more of that being discussed on this forum. :mellow

High protein for me too.

Befroe today's workout, I had 6 eggs in themorning along with 4 toasts, some oatmeal and 1 liter of milk. Had oatmeal again at 11:30 and went to the gym at 12:30. Ate 2 steaks with veggetables and rice at 14:00, chicken at 18:00 and did my grip workout at 19:30.

Over the times, I noted that I have to eat at least two big meals in the day to have a good drip workout. When I go to the gym, it's a big breakfast but light carbs up to workout.

I don't count carbs and proteins and calories. I eat a lot and I try not to be too fat. However, I can say easily 4500 calories and double bodyweight in grams of proteins.

Pizza, beer, and Lucky Charms is my breakfast of champions.

Just kidding of course.

Diet is far more important than you would think

Tip #1 - Get rid of sugar and processed sugar. Replace these carbs with fresh vegetables and some fruit.

Tip #1 - Get rid of sugar and processed sugar. Replace these carbs with fresh vegetables and some fruit.

How true! Refined sugar is one of the plague of our modern society. First thing to do would be to quit drinking sodas, that needless diabetes/obesity triggers. It's a nice first step towards a better diet.

You can also replace pasta or bread by quinoa or sarrazin (better proteins than wheat and much much more minerals).

No missionary zeal intended though :D

My breakfast almost every day is oatmeal: 1 pack flavored, and the rest plain rolled oats. Lunch is usually a salad bar with plain tuna.

I've been drinking a bunch more water lately. To help get rid of sodas and other sugar-laden drinks, I've been squeezing half a lemon into 2 liters of water. Now it tastes better than lemonade!

Hey! :angry: Who said eating is overrated?? :angry:

I think diet is very important, especially breakfast. I agree that processed/refined sugar is the root of all dietary evil. I try to eat as clean as I can; lots of protein and I drink water throughout the day.

I eat very little, and do not count calories or the amount of protein consumed daily. I take no supplements. I estimate my intake is less than 2000 calories daily. I keep my weight between 260 and 280. If I ate even a little more, I would balloon to way over 300. I eat a small amount of read meat and fish. No fruit little vegetables. Mainly wholewheat bread and potatoes. Lunch is tuna with toast, and no fat milk.

Guest Mikael Siversson
Hey! :angry: Who said eating is overrated?? :angry:

I think diet is very important, especially breakfast. I agree that processed/refined sugar is the root of all dietary evil. I try to eat as clean as I can; lots of protein and I drink water throughout the day.

You don't need a lot of protein to build grip strength, which is what this thread is all about. Too much protein may not be that good for you in the long run and neither is consuming a lot of calories. The less you eat the longer you live. How many big 80-year olds have you seen?

I agree. I am apalled by the huge amount of food eaten by some strongman competitors. They eat every few hours consuming more in a day than I do in a week.

Good topic for discussion!

I've kicked into a diet ahead of schedule as I've been feeling kindof gross after stuffing my face as much as possible for the last 6 months or so. Nothing was excluded from my intake in that time, all that processed crap, sugar and trans fats...ughghh!!! :(

So it's time to clean up the diet a little, cut out the sugar and cardboard carbs -love that phrase, and the trans fats.

What would be interesting is to see if certain dietary considerations would improve grip performance/recovery. I know many of you swear by the glucosamine/chondrition?spelling? supplementation. However, I'm a little leary of this after hearing of one study that suggested glucosamine many encourage insullin insensitivity. That's the last thing I need with the spare tire I've grown over the past few months!!!

What about Gelatin? It makes sense on a theoretical level. I've been chewing off the cartilage from chicken bones whenever I eat chicken.

Jon@han

Our bodys cant digest more than 30-40 grams of protien at a time.

Any more than that & yer waste'n yer money & the rest gets stored as fat :cry

Guest CalvinP
:rock I don't see how I would eat different for grip training. Forearm muscles and grip muscles are smaller part of the body, so you probably don't need to eat more, unless you work your entire body as well. However I like to eat well-cooked beef tendon (boil in broth soup) now and then. It's hard to delete your body's fuel reserve with only grip training :laugh

At the risk of sounding like I believe the hype fromt the supplement companies, the theory that your body can't digest more than 30-40 grams of protein at a time is one I just don't believe. Doesn't make a lot of sense that you could only assimilate such a small amount of protein.

Our bodys cant digest more than 30-40  grams of protien at a time.

Any more than that & yer waste'n yer money & the rest gets stored as fat :cry

I see people post this from time to time but I have never seen this in any medical or nutritional text.

Do you have a reference where you got this?

I have also read this about 30-40 gram protein.

I think it is more important that you feel good, no matter how much protein you are eating. If someone feels good eating 100 gram protein, then he can do this. You can listen to others advice and do what make sense for you.

About the 30-40 grams at the time. When they did medical study about this I am sure that they didnt test a hard training strongman. The need for protein and assimilation is very different from one person to the next. It is also different from time to time. I think you shouldnt get locked down with something like this, just listen to your own body. Everyone is different.

I believe that most people don't eat enough AND/OR don't eat frequently through the day. Your metabolism starts to slow down, and if you're not active, the fat stores kick in. If you don't eat (eating properly), then where do you get the energy for your workouts? This will also affect your strength IMHO. So.... for 2003, EAT!!!! :)

I have made tremendous gains in the grip department by eating large amounts of cake and ice cream! I eat a lot of protein, and have had very good results in my training due to this. You can never go wrong with eggs!