Got Grip??????????

Tom of Iowa2

Thats why I'm wondering who'll ge the invite?

In a 4 event contest?without much movement or endurance involved...i really don't know who would or could actually beat him...it's NOT a set up-its 3 legit events(the dead,Appollon axle and the farmers are traditional- the weight 70-100# weight throw for height is odd?but a good test)but with 3 statioanry and the farmers SO heavy that few can do it??? its not much of a risk for Henry either? :blink But I fear they might not want someone to 'upstage'him again...??as Phil did on the Famers walk?and as phil did when he continentaled the INCH and push pressed it..and won the crowds and Kaz's admiration?

Perhaps just paranoid thinking though....?

Again,as usual,Just thinking out loud..and no doubt Mark Henry is one of the strongest men alive :bow ...grip strength or brute lifting power orotherwise..but there are some business considerations going on here? :whistel

That name:'Sexual chocolate'was perhaps the most Bizarre name ever applied to a wrestler..especially of his strength and size...sounds like something you find on the floor in the mens room at a .......... :cry never mind. :laugh

Last year at the Arnold, the events schedule for the Strongman were changed almost at the last minute. I

called Kim Wood so he and John and a couple of Bengals would know when to come up from Cincy.

Even if a list of competitors were announced today, and I

think (the surprisingly silent) Mobster has a list of some

competitors. But I suspect those men are not a certainty.

I have emailed Phil Pfister but have received no reply as to whether he is competing. I know Brian Schoonveld is

not.

A word to the wise to anyone going to the Arnold Expo for the first time. While ticketed events at the Veterans'

Memorial are on time, matters at the Expo (which is a different building) are mercurial depending on several factors- so GET THERE EARLY and listen to the MC for any changes.

IF i go to the Arnold it will be to see the strongman contest and maybe wander around and see the freaks.

I think Svend and Phil should be an AUTOMATIC invite.

2nd and 3rd last year.

If not?somehings wrong with the system.

i don't think the new WSM -Pudzianoski- is particularly well suited for such a heavy-static- contest...of course that will be good for Marks Resume' :D and will be good publicity for the WWE? :tongue

Mobster..whats the word dude?

Guest Harlan Jacobs

With the turn that strongman has taken to more endurence events, Why would the Arnold go with all allmost all static movements ? Makes me wonder who is the money behind this event ? I hate to say this, But it looks taylor made for Henry. While Mark is a powerfull man, We all know there is no way in the world he could compete in a strongman contest at todays standards. Not taking anything away from Henry, But this whole thing smells funny to me . :angry:

Yes,harlan, it is an unusual,quote -unquote 'Pro strongman'contest?75% stationary events and one VERY heavy farmers walk..which insures that the athletes aren't going very far are they???? :erm I actually think most will remain stationary? on that 450 a side farmers? ;)

I would say the average Pro Strongman contest would be about 30% stationary...some more some less?

I actually LIKE the events... although i think it would take FAR more than JUST 4 events to have a real 'test' of all around strength?...(as in 12 events!! :rock at the Beauty and The Beast :D )

It'll be fun to watch....BUT...the ending is not really in doubt....again lets SEE who they invite..!!???

Also todays modern strongmen have conditioned themselves for YEARS to be mobile and prepared for moving events..NOT max events...working on events like the Husafelt stone,the lighter weight long distance version of the farmers walk,truck pull,atlas stones,carry and pull medleys,yoke..the full gambit of moving,speed(but heavy!) events.(who can say loading a 420lb Atlas stone isn't an exhibition of power?!)

Again not saying I don't like the Arnold events....But??strange by todays 'PRo Strongman'events?

Give Hugo?,Svend?,karl?,Kirit?,Schoonveld?,Savickas?phil?a year or more to just bulk up and prepare for JUST static???? -they would be stronger too..probably/maybe not strong enough to beat mark at these 4 events ...but they'd be different athletes..bigger....heavier...stronger..and in less cardio shape?

The Arnold?? is a cool 'show'..the events ARE good...but it's NOT what the other guys/competitors have spent years training their bodies for???Sort of what you said its not a "strongman contest at todays standards.."

Henry is a brute powerhouse.. but ....? :whistel

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Oh don't get me wrong, I am all for heavy events. I, like most others here, feel brute power has been replaced be endurence and athletic ability. And yes, it is more apealing to the general public that way. even if they can't comprehind what these guys are doing, they still would rather see a guy run with 300 lbs in each hand as oposed to stumbling along with 400. As for me, GO BIG OR GO HOME !

Maybe Vince McMahon has something to do with this. There have been conspiracies a lot stranger than something along these lines. Am I absolutely crazy to think this is a possibility? McMahon does have deep pockets!

Well before the Arnold 'pro strongman'contest?wasn't Henry still known as 'sexual chocolate'and doing ham n'egg -non- TV wrestling venues?I think he was sent back to the wrestling 'minor leagues'wasn't he?

And now he is on RAW,M-TV, and the other top cable TV wrestling shows and IS now introduced as"the worlds strongest man".......

Mark HAS(suddenly) resurrected his career.... ;) he is a big stong hombre though.........no doubt about that...

I think there are several reasons that the Arnold has mainly so-called "static" events:

1) There is a lot of different things going on in the venue - probably not much room for carrying events, limited storage space for equipment, etc. Also (from what I can gather) it's set up on one stage, and "static" events are far easier to watch...

2) With the recent complaints on many strongman boards about the events being too light, why not have one at least one VERY heavy show? As much respect as I have for Pudzianowski, Virtanen and the like they do NOT have the strength of Girard, Karlssen or Henry. It gets boring when they make the events so light that people can run with the Farmer's.

3) As for the events being tailor-made for Henry, why not? If he's extremely strong in "static" events, and the show contains "static" events, then it's tailor-made for him!!

Henry has already done some great feats as a true strongman - let's leave off accusations of "fixed" contests and the like until there's some evidence or "unusual practice". There's always someone else you could go "oh, why wasn't he invited??" which includes men who are, in my opinion, stronger than Phil Pfister.

Edited by The Mac

Am I looking at the right page for the Arnold?

http://www.arnoldfitnessexpo.com/arnold_st...ongman_2002.asp

I don't see a 450 per hand on the farmer's but 363-407.

The Hummer DL is static but I wouldn't count the Apollon event as static. Yes, they'll be standing in one place but it will take tremendous strength and conditioning to clean and jerk that thing for each rep. No continental is allowed either.

That is, if I'm looking at the right page. I see Brad Gillingham as one of the competitors too. He may do very well with events like this.

Help anyone?

BC.

That link concerns last year's contest.

I type in arnoldclassic.com and go to schedules and

to strongman- it may take a couple of clicks. Good luck

I thought that something seemed weird from what all of you other guys were saying. But I clicked the 'for immediate release' link on the main page and scrolled down and clicked the 'Arnold Strongest Man' link where is says that Henry will attempt to defend his 2002 title. Those are the events they list. It does list Mark Henry as being from the WWF though so that's a sure sign that something is out of date.

Thanks guys!

BC.

Mac.

No accusations just some back and forth banter.There are some odd and very interesting coincidences? but perhaps just coincidences?its all in fun..personally i think its interesting to see how it plays out.... and if the events are EZ for Mark-so be it?

As far as it NOT being a strongman contest?Well it doesn't follow the typical strongman format(i.e. a miniumum of 7 events and up to 12 events and usually 30%static) YET is IS(i believe)a sanctioned IFSA event...?! :blink !?Again-perhaps just a coincidence but the ONE sanctioned IFSA event that Henry participates in and its 75% static and the Heaviest farmers in a contest EVER!?I like the heavy events!LOVE em!but again as i indicated it is not what the guys have spent years training for.

Again IF it were what they(other pro strongmen) were prepareing for?They would all be more 'Powerful' than they are now??The event training and the cardiovascular demands takes a lot out of a trainee AND it forces you to keep your weight under control.Hypothetical?How much would Svend and Hugo weigh IF they just trained for static events?(how strong would they be?)

1)If they have room to do a farmers walk?(which apparently they do)they have room enough to do the tire flip?the stones?a short drag?a short yoke?I understand from Josh and Yako that the 'snowman was held in a sports bar on the dance floor!I think this venue will be larger than that?They had the flip and the stones at the 'snowman'....But you may be right.,,it may be the space limitations?

2)There are complaints...but Strongman is what it is.Some static and some power and 'nowaday'lots of movement...but this contest an apparently sanctioned event IS only 4 events?and mostly static.I'd like to see strongman go that way but???????????the Pros have other committments and other contests and they are not similar to this.

3)Again it apparently at least appears the events were tailor made for him..again 'apparently' and 'appears'..i just pointed out some interesting coicidences.No acusations...

There wouldn't be any 'evidence' as who can possibly know what went through the minds of the organizers and the promoters and those that put up the Hummer and /or the money.Neither you or I will know for sure?

I think there are just at best some interesting coincidences.From mark NOW being introduced as the worlds strongest man(after being sent down to the 'minors')?to the static events-compared to other IFSA events?to the other things we have all discussed :D

As far as Mark being stronger than Phil?Phil would probably be the first to agree with you..put Mark throuhg 8 to 12!!!events in two days and it would be an interesting matchup.

Strongman is a sport in itself now...the events involve a lot of speed(but aren't in my eyes 'light'?)but this IFSA sanctioned Pro Strongman event doesn't follow the format that has been going on for years now...and it's NOT what the strongman athletes prepare for.

I look forward to the possibility of watching it...but I think it is also realistic to say that Mark will probably win this contest? :blink

Interesting discussion.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Tom,

I have to disagree with you about Mark and Phil being even if you done 8-12 events. That is if the events where normal events of todays strongman. While Mark maybe one of the best in world at static events he would never make it through a tire flip,carry and drag,let on a medley. I know I sound like I am definding Phil. To be truthful I would prefer that strongman was strongman and not strength athletes. But it's not. And after meeting a lot of these guys and training with them, I hate to see someone claim to be somthing that they are not ( acording with todays standards) .

Harlan,

You are right.....sorry my message came across wrong....I ment (sort of sarcastically) :D that if it was 8-12 normal strongman events over two days and it would be "interesting"because... Phil would likely win.....or karl or Svend or hugo or whomever..

And you right by todays standards Mark isn't a top 'strongman'.....but he may well be stronger??? :D Something like that....

Sorry about the mix up.....sarcasm and jokes doesn't always convey well on the net....

Tom,

perhaps "accusation" was too strong a word - "suggestion" might be better. No worries either way.

You're right though, it's not a typical IFSA event - that's why I think it's a lot more interesting.