Got Grip??????????

Tom of Iowa2

We were talking about how heavy the farmers walk is getting in another thread.

January 18,2003 in Od Haugens IFSA super series contest they will be doing 385.5lbs.PER hand........up a HILL! :rock

Not really relevant to grip but the log press will be 330lbs...........for reps.WOW!

Another event I thought was interesting FRONT squat for eps with 500lbs......useing An IM 2 inch axle.....

Have you boys already forgotten Rule #5? :rolleyes

Can't tell if your kidding or not :blink but not to worry-as heavy as it sounds its not a world record.I believe Vout Ziljstra went 27? meters with 387?and also Pfister beat Henry and the others with farmers walk implment that weighed #910 ..(405 per side)don't remember the distance...so no world records here?

Svend holds the log press record of approx.405?-407#for a single...Hugo just missed it..reportedly didn't quite lock it out?

Tou,

Bergmanis probably do pretty well on the front squat as a former 0-lifter?

A lot of bodybuilders(believe it or not)go pretty heavy on fronts because it gives excellent quadricep development...Svend-former BB CAN squat....probably regular squats or fronts?

I don't think this will be a contest that is 'friendly'to the new WSM-pudzianoski?...very heavy events.

I watched the ENTIRE WSM marathon and ended up thinking exactly the same thing about the weights being used. There is way too much speed, endurance and overall athleticism involved in these competitions to determine who is the worlds strongest man. What's being determined is who is the best strength athlete. It is fun to watch, but the weights need to be increased!! I would like to see weights chosen where only 2-3 guys complete the entire task for events like farmers walk and atlas stones and going for max singles rather than reps in the deads, squats, log lift, etc.

mike m.

Edited by supersqueeze

Pudzianowski (sp?) really did look quite ordinary in the static events in the WSM final, and Sven looked excellent whilst winning the squat, despite being down on form from previous years. In the past the winners tend to have been those that have done well in both types of events (Magnus Ver Magnusson won the max single squat in '95, Ahola won the max deadlift in 97 (year correct??)). I agree that the events need to become heavier. I am glad that recently the deadlift hold has been changed to not using straps.

Edited by The Mac

I like the idea of 'some'failure too(although a few guys didn't finish the tire flip and drag)and heavier wts and shorter distances.I think there WILL be some failure in OD Haugens show...the one at the top of this thread.I can't see all the guys that are competeing going very far with the 385 per side farmers?(some may not even deadlift them or take one step?)and some may get 0 reps on the 330lb log? and I think there will be a LOT of failures at the 500lb front squat ;) But I think some failure-in an event- adds to the excitement and dramatizes just how heavy the event really is?

It maybe that TWI has done some research?that indicated the faster events are what the 'public'-casual fan wants?...lets face it...to the average guy and even to a very strong gym rat 275 a side for Famers is HEAVY and the new fifth stone that weighs 351 IS heavy..and/or sounds heavy...partial dead of that vehicle with 690lbs for REPS IS heavy...etc.It IS a TV show and unfortunately they must have some reasons for the lighter events?

I don't think the IFSA as an organization is AGAINST heavy events-again look at Od Haugens up comeing contest?So perhaps its the TV /entertainment aspect of it?

In another IFSA contest-the Stockholm GP was won buy Hugo,Svend 2nd,Savickas was 3rd(3 brute power guys) and WSM Pudzionoski was 5th(could have had an off day..or maybe the events were heavier?I don't know what they were)but it does show the organization has some flexibility and a world record log press WAS set in that meet(407#-Svend)

Not to sound like a nationalist but American contests ARE generally VERY heavy -but then that has not provided an AMERICAN winner at WSM in quite a long time?

Not much excitement if a few men cannot even walk the

length of the cylinder in the farmer's walk. :(

It's like watching people try to pick up the Millennium Bell;

not much movement.

The promoters of the WSM have air time to fill, and while

my personal preference is fewer reps, more weight, that

is exactly the format for olympic weightlifting and for

powerlifting, and, let's see, when was the last time either of those activities was given day long exposure on the tube? :unsure

Roark - You couldn't be more correct. It is just my personal desire to see HUGE weights moved at the WSM comps ... I am by no means holding my breath. Additionally, I would find it even more amazing when a few people succeeded while all others failed.

mike m.

So would I, Mike. But we are in a minority, and TV, even with the huge variety of channels now has not aimed at

out ilk yet.

And probably will not find us.

By the way- was Manfred Hoeberl shown on the series-

if so I missed him in my sporadic check-ins?

But again,i think some failure in the events-would not only satisfy us 'hard core'-heavier is better fans- but it would actually make good entertainment.More entertaining than everyone completeing an event? ( sometimes only be seperated by seconds...or a rep or two?)More Failures does make those that COMPLETE the event seem even more 'superhuman'.More drama..accomplishments seem more impressive...?

At Od's show for instance...I'm guessing of course- but..a few of the guys may get 0 reps on the 330 log..Hugo or Svend or whomever may get 7?8?9?reps.

A few unlucky lads will barely deadlift the 385's#on the farmers and just stand there sheepishly...a few guys WILL take those suckers for a run up the hill.Thats impressive!THATS drama :rolleyes

(i don't know wht in the hell is going to happen on those front squats...now that is drama...but the outcome is so up in the air that it wouldn't be a good one to try on TV?)

To me..at least in many of events the 'failures'add drama..I think that although it IS quite obvious that WSM is a TV show i think the TWI producers may have missed a good marketing angle...some failure...by very large and powerful athletes makes the other strongmen even MORE impressive. Actually the american public loves to see failure :blink Thus the success of Jerry Springer.... :D but we love winners too...whats that show that has the winners on anyway? :blink

Roark,i must have missed the 'episode'with manfred also.It covered a LOT of years so I'm almost sure he was on......

I did not see Manfred. I must admit to being extremely groggy between 3 and 8 am and it is possible I may have even dozed with my eyes open during that time. I wish now that I would have just taped it instead forcing myself to try to stay awake throughout the entire airing. It would be nice to have all that action in my library.

Mike M.

My favorite WSM event ever was the one where the guys had to push a bar overhead. The weights were big rocks sleeved to the ends of the barbell. The guys were squatting under the bar and then did a push press with it. After completion, they would drop the bar in the sand. I think it was in 92-93 or something like this.

Gary Taylor won the event with way over 400 pounds. Not much technique on this event, lot of brute strength.

I also saw Hugo press a 360 lbs log overhead for 3 reps at Canada's strongest man 3 years ago. Nobody was able to press the log for a single rep and Hugo did 3 EASY and lightning fast reps with it.

The events that I don't like are the truck, bus, train, airplane pull.

I like the hand-over-hand pulls - like the one were Girard ripped his calluses totally off a few years ago. Seeing a plane or boats pulled this way is very inspriring, not even including the obvious grip component.

Tou,

The pulls of vehicles are my least favorite aspect also.

I prefer stones and farmer's walks, but would enjoy seeing this change:

In farmer's walks, decrease the distance and increase the

weight.

Guest sjeff70

The Gary Taylor era had some good WSM. If memory serves, the one where Gary won the flint stone pressing event is the one where he lost in the final; and because he was not tall enough to stack the sandbag in the medley.

I do not like the pulling of stuff events either.

The best WSM are the ones where Kaz kicks major ass. :rock

Jeff

Jeff,

The stone stacking height being the same whether

the strongman is 5'10" or 6'10" is similar to having an event included where chin-ups are done on a basketball hoop-after the lifter jumps up to grab it.

The stones should be stacked in proportion to the body

part (say chin level, or top of head) so a platform in front

of the stacking platform would be fairer.

That would be a perfect world :angry: In a perfect world,

I would be competing... < <

Guest sjeff70

Joe,

Indeed. I feel height shouldn't have any impact where strength is concerned because you can't do anything to improve it. Unless that is part of the honor of being WSM. There are several events which gives greater advantage to the taller competitor. On the other hand, I guess the reverse is true too... :blush

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on DPF...

Not only will the farmer's be 385, as mentioned by Tom of Iowa, but there will be a DL for reps... 600 lbs. on a 2" bar, no straps! Holy schnikees!! No mention of whether hooking is allowed though...

BC.

MANY THOUGHTS Saw the post too.And a post from Schoonveld that indicated it is probably the toughest strongman contest ever...VERY GRIP INTENSIVE CONTEST!!!! :whacked

We were talking about some( a little?) failure being a 'good thing' in contests as it further dramatizes JUST how HARD the events are...no dishonor to those that don't finish an event...just big props :bow to those that do finish...

The600# thick bar dead?-the 385 per side farmers?-the thick bar#500lb.front squat?WOW...those will be tough...IF an athlete hasn't been hitting front squats?it will be Impossible to hit those?Big...Long..learning curve on those?

Further thought.....the Arnold Farmers will be 440-450 a side........ :blink

Also?and I'm not speaking as a pfister pfan :rolleyes but who besides mark or phil would have the grip to do 450 a side?

Quite seriously...as a fan of the strongman sport it seems like a huge jump(something i would have expected in a couple of years...)Maybe thats the idea...??nobody but Mark or phil can do it...and Pfister doesn't get invited.. :laugh for spanking Mark on the farmers las year...(i don't know who got invited yet :( )

Just a thought...

I may be missing someone..perhaps someone else is ready for 440-450 a side?

I've heard (but don't know for sure) that Odd Haugen is capable of a FW in excess of 900lbs. One might guess that Matt Graham might be capable of it as well.

Don't think either of those guys is competing at Arnold, so I guess it doesn't matter.

well it is still cool to hear about ..even IF these guys aren't going to the Arnold.Thanks for the info...

I've heard the same thing about Odd....

It will be interesting to see who gets 'invited'.... :blush

If Mark Henry doesn't win the Arnold strongman contest this year, what will the WWE be calling him? He'll have to change his name again. I guess he could go back to Sexual Chocolate, but that just doesn't sound manly enough for someone as strong as he is. What to do...