Deadlift Form

CoC#3

Am i doing anything majorly wrong here? I'd be very grateful if the experienced deadlifters like Rex and John could chime in. I'm just getting back into deadlifts again and want to do 300kg this year. This was one of 2 heavy singles at 260kg, and using hook grip.

Am i doing anything majorly wrong here? I'd be very grateful if the experienced deadlifters like Rex and John could chime in. I'm just getting back into deadlifts again and want to do 300kg this year. This was one of 2 heavy singles at 260kg, and using hook grip.

Looked perfect to me!

WoW - so damn strong.

You bent perfectly with the knees and kept your back straight with good form.

Nice work Sam....! It was a strong , easy up DL. :rock

I'm not an expert on DLs but I think your form was very good my friend.

nice DL!

my opinion:

- lower part: keep bar closer to you

- work glutes/hams (which look to me as your weak link here, seeing the "rebending" of your legs on the second part of the lift)

there is some room for some progression here IMO

Thanks everyone. For the hams/glutes i have been doing RDLs and pullthroughs - i realised this was a weakness a while ago. I think it comes from squatting narrow stance in oly shoes, which makes them quad dominant. I'll post some more vids up soon to see if there is any improvement.

Super strong, hard to tell from this camera angle if the bar was directly over the middle of your foot, it kinda looked like it was out by your toes (which would be too far from your body).

What kind of DL are you going for? Not Sumo, Not Stiff legged...what? Cos either way: that looked pretty good to me for a grip it and rip it DL.

Thanks guys. I'm going to deadlift again tomorrow, after squats. I will keep the bar closer to my shins this time. Twig, i'm just trying to deadlift in a way that will allow me to pull the most weight.

Sam,

I second The Swiss and Honk in their analysis. Overall your DL form looks quite good and you're inspiringly strong.

To keep the bar touching your legs from the start of the rep it's helpful to place your feet while standing upright with straigt legs - the skin (or at least the hair) on your shin should touch the bar. Without rolling the bar away from you then start the lift.

Other exercises I use for strengthening my back/glutes/hams for DLs:

- heavy partial pulls in the rack with legs only slightly bent with no rebending

- variing the resistance during the lift (DLs, partials,...) with chains or rubber band from top or bottom

- good mornings (stiff legged, not straight legged)

- box squats (for me with very wide stance, same I use for sumo DL and comp squat)

- onelegged hyperextension/backraises

Maybe you find something useful for your backside work in this list.

Enjoy your DL.

• 2 months later...

I think i noticed something, are your feet pointed straight? You might try putting your heels as close to the back of the bar as possible the other thing might be to learn to flex your chest before you start the intense part of the lift. Your weight is impressive but this is where the turning point is. Every syenergistic muscle that has not been under the full load will begin to show itself, awesome! Good luck.

Looks pretty good to me, but I second the Glute/ham strength as you started to bow up with your back rather than your legs which is the 1st sign of this as a weak point. Mix your dead routine up a tad also... Do some Zerchers, rack pulls,Box squats and tons of good mornings! That will kill your ass end, but you'll be pulling more in the long run. Also mix in some speed pulls with bands to get the explosive part down. Lastly, if you're doing max effort on pulls, try mixing in some sumo pulls along with your conventional pulls, That will attack more Hip,etc.

Chris