Dips, How Important Are They?

pencilneckmike

i've been working out at home, don't have much weights, but what i do have is only enough for curls, shrugs, wrist rolling, weight pull ups etc. just wondering, if i dont have serious access to weights, and im mainly doing pull ups and push ups, think it would be benefical for me to get a dip bar? im mainly trying to increase strength in my upper body as much as I can, and I think I'm not targeting the muscles involved in dips. so just wondering, how important are dips to my upper body strength.

Spend the money on a barbell set with a couple hundred pounds of weight! You can get it for a couple hundred bucks.

Don't get me wrong, dips are super great, but nothing will compare to squating, bench, overhead press, deadlift etc.

If you want a cheap way to dip, buy a couple of tie downs from home depot and a couple of 90 degree conduit elbows. It'll cost about 10 bucks and you have an adjustable ring set to do pushups, dips pullups, body rows and the list goes on.

...or you can spike your strength through the roof by finding a place to do dips, get a belt and some chain, and do weighted dips.

That will guarantee whip your upper body into shape.

Again, what he said above was good about the rings, but if youre lazy, www.gymnasticbodies.com for some cheap rings.

Edited by gymnast

dips are adjustable (same as pushups) just move out your grip further or add in a leg lift with it there is lots you can do. Better yet get some gymnastic rings, they are awesome for both pullups and dips.

I understand the want to be cheap, but just breaking down and buying some weights if you have the space is the way to go once you get to a certain point, it allows you to grow beyond bodyweight (unless you want to do stuff like iron crosses and handstand pushups thats cool too.)

Can you link some videos where the dips are done very well??

I mean the movements and the place to place the weight....

At home is very easy do them in a wrong way.

Thanks a lot.

Dips are great, but I don't know how much I'd be willing to spend on a dedicated set of dip bars. I've been doing them on a pair of sawhorses for a while now with no complaints.

Oh, and personally I hate ring dips. They feel way to unstable to add any appreciable amount of weight.

Edited by underdawg

Dips are great, but I don't know how much I'd be willing to spend on a dedicated set of dip bars. I've been doing them on a pair of sawhorses for a while now with no complaints.

Oh, and personally I hate ring dips. They feel way to unstable to add any appreciable amount of weight.

Once the body accilmates to hard support positions i think the same amount of weight - 15% can be used.

but if you want to see a good picture of a person doing dips i think the beastskills website has one.

http://www.beastskills.com/LowDip.jpg

not a big fan and can lead to unnecessary strain on yer benching muskles :D

however..just like everything else exercise.. if you feel like you benefit from it and feel that it hits the targeted muscle groups better than other exercises obviously it's a wise choice.

there is never a right and wrong in exercise...just what's right and what's wrong for YOU