Pull-ups / Chins

anything

i noticed it helped with me hanging on for longer, not so much as on the actual two handed pull up, but it definitely helped me with my hand handed pull up.

I went from not being able to do 1 good one with my strong grip to doing 5 excellent ones from a dead hang inside of a month or so with my weak grip. When I first got a #1,I could close it to within a half inch or so.Now I'm doing about the same with a #2.I do pullups/chins occasionally just to see how many I can do,not really on a specific program or workout.

How much does grip training with coc grippers help on the ability to do pull-ups / chins?

Not much. If you're struggling with the grip aspect, bar hangs would be a better bet.

it depends on how much you improve your grip

probably nothing, but impossible to measure.

grippers tend to focus on crush, chins / hangs is more about supportive strength (& endurance if your can do alot of chins)

i did a chin-up once :)

I work my grip doing pullup's I just use my finger tip's no thumb work's wonder's. I do for finger pressure in arwrestling.

I work my grip doing pullup's I just use my finger tip's no thumb work's wonder's. I do for finger pressure in arwrestling.

excellent tip, thanks a lot!

If grip was your limiting factor then it could help.... if some other factor prevented you from doing more pull-ups I don't believe it will help.

Haha, the whole reason I got involved with grip training was because I had set a goal for me to be able and do a one-handed pull-up. I got up to the point where I was able to do 12 in a row with a 40lb back-pac on and I realized my grip was giving out before my lat muscles were.

When I first recieved my coc1's I couldn't close them the first day.....but by day two I was able to close them.......I believe working with grippers will definitally inprove your ablity to do more pull-ups especially if you are going for high numbers or heavier sets. I know that it has personally helped me, my grip is much stronger and is now the last thing to give out.......I can still hang on for a bit longer even when the rest of my muscles have failed :D .

Hope this info helps!

Haha, the whole reason I got involved with grip training was because I had set a goal for me to be able and do a one-handed pull-up. I got up to the point where I was able to do 12 in a row with a 40lb back-pac on and I realized my grip was giving out before my lat muscles were.

When I first recieved my coc1's I couldn't close them the first day.....but by day two I was able to close them.......I believe working with grippers will definitally inprove your ablity to do more pull-ups especially if you are going for high numbers or heavier sets. I know that it has personally helped me, my grip is much stronger and is now the last thing to give out.......I can still hang on for a bit longer even when the rest of my muscles have failed :D .

Hope this info helps!

just wondering you doing one handed pull ups yet? 40 lbs 12 times in a row is pretty impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this info helps!

just wondering you doing one handed pull ups yet? 40 lbs 12 times in a row is pretty impressive.

Yeah thanks mike, actually I was able to pull my self up about half way when I was at my peak...(12 with 40lbs). Before I was able to reach my goal of a one handed pull-up......I overstrained myself and started getting massive head aches. I decided to cut back on the weighted pull-ups and pull-ups alltogether for awhile.

I am all better now and mainly just focus on my grip strength now.......I do still do finger-tip pull-ups with just my own body weight...about 3 sets of 10, and I am also trying to do door jam moulding pull-ups also which are alot hard....(current max is only 3). Anyways...I do think it is possible to train for a one handed pull-up......I just gotta get back on a good routine again. Thanks...Steve.

• 3 months later...

How much does grip training with coc grippers help on the ability to do pull-ups / chins?

As mentioned, I think the grip aspect of it is good by hanging from the bar.

If anything your grip should help with your ability to hang on the bar with your body weight.

As for pull ups themselves... its really the lats that will help you with pull ups and a bit of the biceps with chin ups (reverse grip).

If your goal is to do more pull ups/chin ups, negative reps or assisted reps with a chair will help you for sure.

I was doing alot of rows and Iso pull downs..but really sucked at doing pull ups.. I avoided them. Started with assisted and neg reps and within a month I was able to do 8 pull ups per set. I've kicked it up since then.

hope that helps.