New Coc Routine Working Well

EricMilfeld

I've had my #3 since December 5, and have progressed from3/8 to 1/8 of an inch from closure. For what it's worth, here's the routine that's working for me: workout every third day, alternating between 2 workout programs. First day: max reps on #2, followed by max reps on #2 only opening gripper 1/8 inch. Second day: 3 second overcrush on #2, followed by attempt at #3- repeat cycle 2 more times. Occasionally I will replace the #3 attempts with a negative with the same.

Edited by eric milfeld

I too had good progress w/the #3 when I first started. I got it down to ~1/16" then ran into a wall. I've really lost my desire/motivation to close the #3 (plus, for some reason, the grippers were making my knuckles/elbows really sore). Rather than dwell on it I changed my focus to other grip feats for now. The point is that the #1 factor to closing the 3, or any goal, is the will and desire to do it. Stick w/it and you'll close it soon, or it might take you a while.

Points well taken guys, thnx.

Eric,

Good job on your grip training. Can I suggest something: before you do your training, and without any warm-up whatsoever, do this: take your #3 and attempt to close it.

For what it's worth: I should tell ya, I don't like lots of reps. I feel like they "tire" your hands, and move that strength away from your training. A few reps are good for a light warm-up... but then move on to the good stuff. Good Luck! :happy

Sybersnott, I will take your advice and attempt the #3 first. I do tend to agree with you about the reps, although the best I've managed with my ridiculously tough #2 is 11 reps.

Appreciate ya

Edited by eric milfeld

Eric,

That idea of just working the last portion of the closing of a gripper sounds tough!! Would you attribute this to your sucess so far with the #3??

Jon@han

Jonathan, those partial closes did put me over the hump on my way to closing the #2, but being so new to grip training, you've got to wonder if just about anything would not have worked at that point in my training. By the way, when I was getting about 30 or 40 reps with the #1, it was possible to do 75 of the partials. I know, but I didn't have a #2 with which to do the lower reps :whacked This past week I've suffered a bit of a burnout with my grippers, and can't wait to get my hands on the new KTA program! How's your training coming along? Goals?

Take Care

Eric,

I'm just getting into gripper training myself after having the trainer for a few months and just recieved 1-3# at the beginning of December. In a way I'm kindof giving the grippers a strong focus since I've set my training days with them on my off days for the rest of my strength training. I've been focusing on singles with attempts to increase the volume by adding more sets of singles. And I'm attempting a heavy, light medium style of training which seems ok for now. As you said"but being so new to grip training, you've got to wonder if just about anything would not have worked at that point in my training"

Jon@han

• 5 months later...

I can taste it now, finally. Two days ago I closed my #3 to within 1/8 inch, left handed. I credit this 1/4 inch improvement, over the course of the last couple of weeks, mainly to a renewed hunger to improve with my grippers. After certifying, my gripper workouts seemed a bit anticlimactic for a while. But now my zeal is back, I've learned to train more instinctively, and know it to be only a matter of time before I smash it lefty!

A typical workout now consists of 3 to 5 sets, after a warmup set. I go with the flow and listen to my body, cuz sometimes my best set is my first, other times my last. Frequently an intended single becomes a double or triple. I have a basic blueprint, but nothing is written in stone. I don't mean to be cryptic, but I always seem to fail at predicting my abilities with the grippers. But basically I shoot for whatever I can manage rep wise with the #3, with an occasional overcrush, right handed. I will also rep out with a #2 right handed. Left handed I do reps with my #2, and negatives with my #3. I'm grippin every third day, alternating a more rep oriented workout with a more singles oriented workout.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a great workout with my number three yesterday. On about my fifth set I managed a new PR with four good reps. But I was still an eighth of an inch away with that pesky left hand.

do you do strap holds, they worked for me i was 1/8-1/16 for my #2 and i started doing strap holds and four days later i closed it.

Thomas, I've tried the strapholds once, and found that I lost a good deal of focus trying to set the strap. I do practice the concept though, by doing overcrushes. And yes, you're right, they did seem to help me. I'll start them up again with my filed number two, and see how it goes.

I wish I didn't know that the grippers are made to close easier right handed, then I wouldn't have an excuse to fall back on, and would then be able to feed off the humiliation factor of not being able to do it left handed, to skyrocket to victory :rock:laugh

Thomas, I've tried the strapholds once, and found that I lost a good deal of focus trying to set the strap.

yeah...

its easier to have someone there doing strap holds with you so they can set it for you, try that next time.

Edited by thomas straub