Weaver Stick

Booyah!!!

Speaking of the weaver stick, I wish I could see a video of how you guys did those big pulls. I was looking at some contest results, and it seemed like you went from "good" to "world record" in a pretty short span.

I'll see if I can tape a few sessions next time I train it (might be a while).

Speaking of the weaver stick, I wish I could see a video of how you guys did those big pulls. I was looking at some contest results, and it seemed like you went from "good" to "world record" in a pretty short span.

I'll see if I can tape a few sessions next time I train it (might be a while).

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album01/aao

:D

At gripmas I don't think anyone hit 14 pounds. You could be just that much stronger, but I think you've got some secret!

David would know but I think the average for others when I've competed is 5.5-kilos or about 12lbs.

Very few people actually trained it much that I know of - maybe that is Steve's secret? I mean besides being a rather strong young man - still 18# is a huge jump over what anyone did at Gripmas - I think he does have a secret :D

I mean besides being a rather strong young man - still 18# is a huge jump over what anyone did at Gripmas - I think he does have a secret :D

Steve - - when was the last time someone called you "young"? :D

It's true that I actually train it in preparation for competition. Usually, I think, about 8-12 weeks or so. I've seen Laine Snook do 7-kilos with either hand cold and with no wraps (most disheartening let me tell you).

At gripmas I don't think anyone hit 14 pounds. You could be just that much stronger, but I think you've got some secret!

I think it was his black panties...err...shorts :D

As a "small" poundage lift, you can get a lot out of very little when it comes to sharpening technique and what have you - having said that, when it comes to to Gripmas lifts, I would maybe think about event order and other factors, as (from what I have seen) the poundages David and Steve have done do not seem "on another level" enough to suggest some "secret difference".

As a "small" poundage lift, you can get a lot out of very little when it comes to sharpening technique and what have you - having said that, when it comes to to Gripmas lifts, I would maybe think about event order and other factors, as (from what I have seen) the poundages David and Steve have done do not seem "on another level" enough to suggest some "secret difference".

I never thought of how my words might have been Mis Taken - I meant nothing fishy or funny - just pulling Steve's chain a bit was all.

• 3 weeks later...

what are the specs. for the weaver stick dia. and length ? andsome of the videos show the wieghts

hanging on a string ? is this normal ?

Edited by lone Wolf

Weaver Stick Lift to Rear

George Russell Weaver popularised this wrist leverage test some 50 years ago whilst living in Brooklyn. A round stick (mop handle) is used which has the following dimensions – diameter about 1”, length 42”. Half an inch from one end cut a notch. Exactly 36” from the centre of this notch, circle the stick with a line. Get two metal right angles at a hardware store, and screw them into the top and bottom sides of the stick so that the rear edges of the right angles come exactly to the circled line. The topside of the stick is the side where the notch is cut. This leaves a handle just 5 ½” long.

The weight hangs from a wire in the notch ½” from the end, creating a leverage effect when you lift the stick by the handle. For the lift to the rear, you face away from the stick, grasping the handle with your little finger towards the weight, and lift the stick and weight off the table. You may bend your body forward as the lift is made.

The stick must be lifted approximately parallel to the floor. If the weighted end slopes downwards, you may carry on the event till the stick is level. You will then get the referees command to lower the stick. There must be no rocking of the stick on the table before lifting. The lifter hand and arm must remain free of the body. The heel of the hand must remain on top of the stick; if the hand twists around under the stick, the lift is not allowed. The grip has to be a normal grip with the thumb opposing the fingers.

For safety reasons, this is the only event the BHSA allow the use of a wrist wrap. The wrist wrap should be no bigger than 12" x 3"

This exactly what I needed to know one more question what is the height of the table in

which the lift is started .

Thanks Twig I'm in the process of making one tonight

Robert

There isn't a height for the table. If it was 4 feet tall and you were a midget you'd be buggered. So we use height adjustable set ups. The last time we contested it here we set up a purpose made frame (made by Dunkster / check me on youtube and you'll see us using the same item) which slotted into my power rack. Obviously it went across the safety bars and so can go up and down by moving the bars in the holes in the rack. Previously David used two adjustable sit up / crunches frames with a padded board between them (for the weaver on our set up I put a towel down). Again there are other examples on youtube of the lift and some guys use benches, tables, what-have-you but they will have used something at the right height for them.

It might also be said that unless you're about to put on a competition none of this matters that much, although the knowledge always helps to make for meaningful comparisons. Just get out there and get on with it. Then beat my ass with a new record. :rock

Good find. No actual reference to table height in the text but seeing John do the biz was cool.

• 4 weeks later...