Weaver Stick

Booyah!!!

I am having a very tough time understanding why we are contesting wrist strength while we are wrapping our wrists with power lifting wrist support bands.

Seems like kind of a real life oxymoron :blink

I maybe beyond help, but, can anyone help me understand this ?

Well equipped Powerlifting seems to be pretty popular.. :D, the greatest sledge lever guy of all time wore wraps, oh..the possibilities are endless :D

On a more serious note, I'm fine either way but what I've noticed from training is when the stick gets off center and/or you reach failure mid-lift, it can really torqure your wrist. The wrap helps me avoid torquing my wrist, it doesn't let me lift big weights, just reduces the damage on failed attempts.

Edited by jad

Thanks Jad, I get it now. It just kind of looked goofy.

I know where you're coming from on this Mike. I think it's silly too, but then again I never get anything out of the wraps. Everyone else basically says what Josh did, it's more for safety. I know from personal experience that the wraps don't add weight to the lever. All the wraps I've used just ended up hurting my wrists, so I go without.

I believe there is somewhat of a move in the UK top remove the wrist wraps as being superflous/superfluous.

Edited by The Mac

I believe there is somewhat of a move in the UK top remove the wrist wraps as being superflous/superfluous.

Was Mob's record set with a wrap and if so will there be a separate list then? I don't think it adds much if at all but considering you have take your weights to the mythical post office that allows you to weigh them for a record to be set, wrapped and unwrapped seems appropriate.

It was and it was David's suggestion that we lose the wraps. However, I know that many of the best leverage feats have been done with wraps as per previous comments - you can injure yourself. Let's not go down the same route as the pads vs no pads views for bending.

Was Mob's record set with a wrap and if so will there be a separate list then? I don't think it adds much if at all but considering you have take your weights to the mythical post office that allows you to weigh them for a record to be set, wrapped and unwrapped seems appropriate.

Don't know about the "mythical" post office - these places exist.

Not in the St. Louis, KC, or Lawrence, KS areas. I say mythical because the whole thing is just an honor system and you can calibrate your scale to make it even with the PO and it still wouldn't count, hence the mythical status of the PO scale.

I don't think Josh is knocking you guys that have found these places. He's just saying that we (he and I and others) have been completely unable to find a PO that is willing to do this. I have an aunt who works in a PO that said I'd get laughed out of her office in a small town if I tried that. Imagine the glazed-eyes look that I get in a larger town when I ask to bring my weights in and weigh each one individually.

I got lucky, my post office has a scale in the lobby. Makes the calibration bearable.

The wrist wrap is to prevent injury. I feel a bit more secure with the wrap, so maybe that leads to confidence and heavier weights. Not sure. What I am sure about is when I wrap up, my hand swells with pooled blood.

Try kissing the asses of the people in the post office more. I know I would never have been able to weigh stuff at my PO if I had not worked the guy for months ahead of time. Just wasn't going to happen. Kissed a few asses, now it does.

The wrist wrap is to prevent injury. I feel a bit more secure with the wrap, so maybe that leads to confidence and heavier weights. Not sure. What I am sure about is when I wrap up, my hand swells with pooled blood.

Try kissing the asses of the people in the post office more. I know I would never have been able to weigh stuff at my PO if I had not worked the guy for months ahead of time. Just wasn't going to happen. Kissed a few asses, now it does.

I've only done weaver a couple times and only messed with the wraps at the end. I've hit decent numbers and it seems like one of those events where it either goes or it don't. I can't see getting hurt doing it.

Of course, now that I've said that...

We had Weaver Stick at Gripmas last year. It's not as easy to control as you might think. Lot's of lifts end up spinning off to the sides etc. I can lift as much with or without wraps I think or at least very close but considering a random loss off to the side etc and the injury potential - I favor keeping the wraps. It's a funny lift - it hurts some when you are doing it but really hurts when I stop - Ouch!

We had Weaver Stick at Gripmas last year. It's not as easy to control as you might think. Lot's of lifts end up spinning off to the sides etc. I can lift as much with or without wraps I think or at least very close but considering a random loss off to the side etc and the injury potential - I favor keeping the wraps. It's a funny lift - it hurts some when you are doing it but really hurts when I stop - Ouch!

Oh, I hear you there, I've got video proof of the danger the public I am while doing it. I guess I see wraps as a major necessity in heavy benching because if 550lbs. goes... it goes!

Maybe when I stop messing with the whimpy weights I'd get a better perspective on it.

I wonder if we could hold hold the event between vertical poles spaced x inches apart - touching the sides would not help the lift but would prevent any injury potential from external / internal rotation.

Actually, touching the sides could still be a cause for disqualification, but at least it would lessen the injury potential of a lift gone bad.

I wonder if we could hold hold the event between vertical poles spaced x inches apart - touching the sides would not help the lift but would prevent any injury potential from external / internal rotation.

Actually, touching the sides could still be a cause for disqualification, but at least it would lessen the injury potential of a lift gone bad.

True. It's just that the lift has such a long history of being done without I suppose.

Quite agree, but it seems that some great events go out of fashion due to either the real or perceived threat of injury.

Since it's a short range move, I doubt that mandating the lift go up under control would be against the spirit of the lift.

It's in the rules. No need to reinvent the wheel. :dry

This.

Speaking of the weaver stick, I wish I could see a video of how you guys did those big pulls. I was looking at some contest results, and it seemed like you went from "good" to "world record" in a pretty short span.