Thick Bar Dead Lift / How Did I Do?

rico300zx

Hey guys i tried out thick bar deads tonight after i did my regular deads for the night, i got all the way to #500 before i konked out too. this is the first time i ever tried this so dont laugh too much. and i havent done any deadlifting for over 6 weeks so at first i cant do it but then i pull it up! here i come 2nd anual woodall comp!

Parris

My video, oh by the way utube put a Fword in the WWW randomly!! that is sooooooooooo funny especialy for here, i didnt do it! and i dont know how to reload the video to change it. if anyone cares to look for it youll get a laugh from that alone! and hopefully not my lift!

http://www.youtube.com/rico300zx

then look for this vid: 335 DO thickbar deadlift

:D

It says you didn't use any chalk? So what was that at 30 secs in? Parmesan cheese? ;)

It says you didn't use any chalk? So what was that at 30 secs in? Parmesan cheese? ;)

Opps I ment just chalk, ill have to change that

Ha, that's pretty funny considering the past few threads on it :D

Good lift, anyway :rock

Edited by Magnus

Showoff! Hehe Nice lifting!

you've made some quality grip tools, nice work! :rock good lift aswell!

Thanks frank, bullit, sam and climber. I always thought that DO would be easy since when deadlifting or farmers walk I never had a prob with my grip, but I can see where heaver weights make it a little tougher. I even do DO overhead press from the ground like the strongman guys do but I've only been to 250ish there. I like doing the lifts from the comps just in case I could ever get to one. I like to pretend I insert myself into the rankings to see if I would be winning or not compared to you pros. Big imagination I guess?

Rico

I think it is more than possible for you to compete in strongman, and indeed do well for a first timer. Give it a go you will learn a lot and meet some great guys at a comp - the strongman lads are always helpful and freely offer advice.

Thanks frank, bullit, sam and climber. I always thought that DO would be easy since when deadlifting or farmers walk I never had a prob with my grip, but I can see where heaver weights make it a little tougher. I even do DO overhead press from the ground like the strongman guys do but I've only been to 250ish there. I like doing the lifts from the comps just in case I could ever get to one. I like to pretend I insert myself into the rankings to see if I would be winning or not compared to you pros. Big imagination I guess?

Rico

Come to Gripmas and get your feet wet this year. From what I have seen you will do just fine!

Well strongman is what got me into grip actually. I think there both a lot of fun, I think jedd is susposed to have something like a qualifer or something coming up, I would like to go there and meet everone.

Rico

Nice lift Rico :D outstanding sideburns as well :rock

Thanks cemery, thanks stump

I really apreciate it, you guys motivate me and make this fun.

Rico

Thanks kormaz they that's where my strength comes from!

Rico

Rico

Rico

Haha nice :D Must try and grow some like yours, maybe i'll regain my strength *crosses fingers* :) But seriously, that equates to 160kg which for me is a bit of a challenge with a normal bar, not sure how much difficult a thicker bar makes it but if you can pull 230ish then i doubt i could do it :)

Rico

Haha nice :D Must try and grow some like yours, maybe i'll regain my strength *crosses fingers* :) But seriously, that equates to 160kg which for me is a bit of a challenge with a normal bar, not sure how much difficult a thicker bar makes it but if you can pull 230ish then i doubt i could do it :)

Kormaz,

Yea idont realy know what it equates to on a regular bar maby some of the guys here might know. I do know that I can double over hand a oly bar with #250 and pick it up and put it over my head like a clean and jerk or something like that, but as far as just picking up for a dl I have never tried. Ill try one day I guess, I think AC said he only does DO deads maby he'll know. But check this out , so I did that lift the other day, Sunday right, today is tue, picked up my #3's , slamed em cold with basically no set at all. I think ill do DO thickbar more often now!!!!

Rico

Rico

Kormaz,

Yea idont realy know what it equates to on a regular bar maby some of the guys here might know. I do know that I can double over hand a oly bar with #250 and pick it up and put it over my head like a clean and jerk or something like that, but as far as just picking up for a dl I have never tried. Ill try one day I guess, I think AC said he only does DO deads maby he'll know. But check this out , so I did that lift the other day, Sunday right, today is tue, picked up my #3's , slamed em cold with basically no set at all. I think ill do DO thickbar more often now!!!!

Rico

Everyone is different. Me I'm busted back limited as to how high I can go on DL. So recently I've done 405 DO on regular Oly bar and did 380 on the axle at Chad's comp. Rex on the other hand got 375ish on the fat bar and 700+ mixed grip (dont know his DO number but I bet its higher than 405)

- Aaron

Yesterday, I pulled a silly easy 200kg(440lbs) D/O on an olympic bar. The did 160kg and got 167.5kg past the knees D/O on my 2'' axle. For me i would say there is probably about 50kg difference in what i can pull D/O on my oly bar and my axle.

Rico

Kormaz,

Rico

Sweet! Since i've started deadlifting again i've been using DO for as long as i can until i feel it slipping and then i switch to a mixed grip to get more reps and more out of the workout. I also got a PR with reps using #2.5 yesterday so maybe DO lifting has more of a benefit to gripping than i had previously thought. I'm going to stick with it anyway and see what happens :D

In reality, bodyweight issues aside, unless you are gimped by a bad back/hip/whatever, you should not be looking at a relation between a deadlift on an Olympic Bar and your DO Axle lift. There may be some relationship between DO on an Olympic Bar and an Axle, but there is so much variation in hand size as to make it moot.

You need stronger hands to lift more on the Axle - obvious but true.

The next time I dead lift ill do the DO on the oly bar as I'm warming up. Id like to figure some sort of correlation, I'm sure of one thing its gotta help youe DO axil lift. The way it sits in your hand has to do something for you, we should all try and see what happens.

Rico