What Is Raw

Bill Piche

I see videos posted on youtube with RAW in the title and the people have belt and wraps on.

Raw to me is RAW. No equipment whatsoever. Just t-shirt and shorts. No belt. No wraps.

Took me about 10 sec to find a video with RAW in the title. He's wearing a belt. That is NOT RAW.

The belt is an aid to help you lift more. And, it does help a lot.

RAW in Powerlifting allows a belt and knee wraps I don't personally think it is "RAW" either but I don't make the rules.

I'm with wannagrip on this one. I think raw should be tshirt shorts and also chalk.

Rico

belt and knee sleeves / wrist wraps on bench. Knee wraps give me 20-30kg on my squat - a lift with wraps is NOT raw.

belt and knee sleeves / wrist wraps on bench. Knee wraps give me 20-30kg on my squat - a lift with wraps is NOT raw.

I am the same way with knee wraps thats why I don't consider it RAW either.

Belt and chalk is considered raw. Knee wraps, wrist wraps, etc. are definitely NOT raw lifting.

I've been at contests that don't allow the use of ammonia capsules on or near the platform, because it's not considered true raw lifting.

What do ammonia capsules do for you?

The fumes are supposed to expand your lungs, which in turn is supposed to help you become extremely focused. I've never used them, so I can't really comment too much - other than to say I've heard they can be dangerous, and some comps I've been at don't allow them.

I had always assumed that raw was lifting with or without a belt. My understanding was that a belt is simply for back support and it does just that as well as giving you something to tense against. It doesnt actually add to the weight you can lift unlike a squat suit or a bench shirt which is specifically designed to assist with the lift meaning you can lift more. The same applies to knee and wrist wraps in my opinion. The ammonia stuff is really just like smelling salts isnt it? It's supposed to make you more alert and it completely clears your head to help you focus on the lift as Todd said above. All you need is a quick sniff of them before you lift and it seems to help a bit.

Edited by Kormaz

Well a belt and especially knee wraps do add quite a lot to what a person can lift. That said I competed "raw" in June using a belt and wrist and knee wraps. Right or wrong I still had fun!

Is all this RAW talk a matter of our opinions or the real definitions? I did google raw lifting and there are a lot of options. We sanction our own meets so we can make up our own raw rules, right?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

I have no problem with taping the wrists for bench or wearing a belt for squats and deads. These are more for protection than actually assisting you to lift more. Knee wraps, elbow wraps, bench shirts, squat suits all assist you lifting heavier poundages. They are doing some of the lifting for you. Nothing wrong with that if you want to use them or you compete in an organization that allows them. Just not raw. I never wore a belt, but after 2 back surgeries, I always wear one for deads and squats now.

What do ammonia capsules do for you?

The fumes are supposed to expand your lungs, which in turn is supposed to help you become extremely focused. I've never used them, so I can't really comment too much - other than to say I've heard they can be dangerous, and some comps I've been at don't allow them.

The fumes does not expand the lungs. What they do is that aid in the realse of more adrenaline and thus trigger a stronger "fight or flight" response.

More adrenaline is not equal more weight on the bar though, one can become over-energized.

I´d say that a belt is allowed in the raw concept. Knee sleves and wrist wraps too for that matter.

I do not understand how some feds consider knee wraps as raw as they aid greatly in the squat. Depending on material, length of the wrap and how tight one puts it on it can give +30kg on the squat.