Deadlifting With Hook Grip

Kormaz

Hey guys,

The poll that Frank started below made me wonder what hook grip actually is. My friend who i train with has always said that the "mixed grip" as Frank called it, is hook grip. However in every video i have seen where someone is using hook grip they are doing double overhand. Is there a mixed grip hook or is it exclusively DO? If so, how do you do hold the bar for these lifts? Thanks.

Edited by Kormaz

Cheers Frank. Now to go and shout "VICTORY!" in his face :D

Edited by Kormaz

It can be quite painful.

It can be quite painful.

Wrapping athletic tape around your thumbnails supposedly helps.

It can be quite painful.

That was actually one of the main reasons that my friend disagreed with me and i was also unsure about it. When it came to mind i had a barbell with 50kg on it to hand and i showed him it, but i could see how it would be more painful with a heavier weight. As of my last workout i'm lifting DO now and i had been switching to a mixed grip when my grip started to slip at around the 5th or 6th rep, purely to get as many reps out of the set as possible. I might have a go at hook grip tomorrow and see how it feels at 140kg. Thanks for your input guys.

The hook will hurt for a little while but you will soon get used to it. Play with it and don't wrap as deeply as you might think. I don't feel any discomfort at all until the weight is much more than I can DL - heavy rack pulls hurt a little but not enough to bother me much.