Rotator Cuff

arande2

So I've been doing rotator cuff work every couple weeks or so (cable machine).

They've gone from 10/20 pounds (to the outside/inside) to 40/50. 10 reps

But.. am I supposed to keep making them stronger? Or should I stop at a point and maintain strength?

Basically.. is it bad to keep making my rotator cuffs stronger? They feel good after I finish.

Edited by Arande

Keep getting stronger. Change to movement and the resistance.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean :blush

Don't worry. Matt never makes any sense.

(I think he's retarded or something)

-Rex

The rotators complex is made up of muscles that are fairly small. To exercise them the idea is to limit as much as possible the involvement of the larger muscles of the shoulder - back etc. At the point you are now - it will mostly be the larger muscles that are being worked. Of course the rotators complex is also. Perfect form and smaller weight may hit the target muscles better - or so reads the theory.

But.. am I supposed to keep making them stronger? Or should I stop at a point and maintain strength?

Basically.. is it bad to keep making my rotator cuffs stronger? They feel good after I finish.

Work on reps. Vary the weight. These muscles are easily damaged. One aggressive workout will haunt you for the rest of your life. I wouldn't try to increase strength. I would only bump up the weight if your muscle take you there (i.e. 40lbs becomes rediculously easy).

One thing that seperates the gymnast from the average man is the rotator cuff.

Keep up the rotator work, but focus on mobility. Maybe youll be the next chen...

Change THE movement and the resistance.

Sorry.

There are a plethora of variations of these movements.

Don't worry. Matt never makes any sense.

(I think he's retarded or something)

-Rex

Hahaha! :D

The rotators complex is made up of muscles that are fairly small. To exercise them the idea is to limit as much as possible the involvement of the larger muscles of the shoulder - back etc. At the point you are now - it will mostly be the larger muscles that are being worked. Of course the rotators complex is also. Perfect form and smaller weight may hit the target muscles better - or so reads the theory.

May try it

Work on reps. Vary the weight. These muscles are easily damaged. One aggressive workout will haunt you for the rest of your life. I wouldn't try to increase strength. I would only bump up the weight if your muscle take you there (i.e. 40lbs becomes rediculously easy).

Cool then

One thing that seperates the gymnast from the average man is the rotator cuff.

Keep up the rotator work, but focus on mobility. Maybe youll be the next chen...

Hmm..

Change THE movement and the resistance.

Sorry.

There are a plethora of variations of these movements.

Good advice, keep it varied

Consider why you'd want to train internal and external rotation directly, with heavy weight. The movement is unlikely to prevent any shoulder injuries, and could cause some. Chronic shoulder problems are often a symptom of an imbalance closer to the center of the body. The rotator cuff muscles will never be stronger than knotted muscles in your upper back, or so powerful that chronic rubbing on the bones of the shoulder girdle won't cause damage.

My shoulder rehab / prehab work is focused on fighting the postural problems created by sitting at a desk all day. I have to do the following:

1. Keep my hips loose, to prevent tight hip flexors and psoas muscles from forcing my relaxed posture into one with an excessive posterior pelvic tilt.

2. Foam roller my upper back several times aweek, to maintain mobility in my thoracic spine and prevent development of a permanently slouched posture (kyphotic spine, I believe)

3. Strengthen the muscles that stabilize the shoulder and tend to be weak. For me, the serratus and lower / mid trap regions tend to be problematic

Outside of a little stretching, I like exercises that force my shoulder to both open and stabilize. Turkish get ups, kettlebell snatches, and renegade rows all serve me well. Split squats with a dumbell overhead are also nice.