United States Hand Strength National Championship

Jedd Johnson

At the beginning of the year, I announed GGC's date for August 29th, 2009.

Now that Chad's excellent Grip contest is out of the way, it is time to prepare for Nationals.

Sponsors:

PerthStrongman.com

Chris Rice - Link coming soon!

The events are all the same as last year with one sizable change and a few minor changes.

1. Grippers (Minor Change #1)

- Parallel set only - Credit Card set is out!!!!

- Tons of calibrated grippers will be used

2. Two Hands Pinch

- No changes here. Same as always. Multiple widths, depending on athlete preference.

3. Axle

- Double Overhand only

- Sumo is allowed.

4. Medley (Minor Change #2)

- We will not do the mystery event this year. I know it was popular, but I feel it ended up too hard for the smaller handed individuals.

- All items will be announced.

- Some people may end up bringing things to use, but they will still be announced.

- Items will include Blob, Inch, Levering, Bending, Tearing, Loose Pinch, Block Weights, Rolling Thunder. Weights will be manageable for smaller handed individuals.

5. Weaver Stick to the Rear (instead of bending)

- I want to include a wrist event

- I don't want to include any bending

- Weaver Stick looks cool and is fairly easy to judge.

- It was a lot of fun at Gripmas

- Wrist wraps allowed on the Weaver Stick

Since the events are not hand size dependent, there will be only one Open Division.

Entry fee is $50 and we are doing it at my house. I can't afford to carry this equipment into the gym all by myself again and destroy my hands for the 6th year in a row the day or two before the contest again.

You must qualify for Nationals in one of three ways:

Qualification Chance 1: Athletes shall qualify for Nationals if they finish top 3 in a US Hand Strength sanctioned contest announced on the Gripboard between September 2008 and August 2009.

Qualification Chance 2: Athletes can also qualify for Nationals by completing 3 of the following feats during 2008-2009 competition:

1" Vertical Bar - 290

2" FBBC Vertical Bar - 200

Gripper - IM #3 or equivalent (140#), or 150# choker close

Reverse Bending - Grade 5x6" bolt

Axle Deadlift - 290

Plate Pinch - 170

One Hand Deadlift on Olympic / Powerlifting Bar - 225

Qualification Chance 3: Complete any one of the following Wild Card feats:

Close #4 Gripper with parallel set or wider (choker included)

Break US Record in Two Hands Pinch

Break US Record in 1-inch Vertical Bar (LGC Standard or FBBC Standard)

Break US Record in 2-inch Vertical Bar (FBBC Standard)

There's plenty of room in the garage and I have multiple pop-up ceilings that I can use to increase competing area. The only events we will need to be inside for are the pinch and axle, unless it rains, in which case we will do everything inside.

I think that's about it.

Check out this post on the Diesel site for the registration documents soon. They are just about ready.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here or on the site.

I will be updating the following link with answers to any questions asked: Grip Nationals Link

-Jedd-

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• climber511

• rico300zx

• Rick Walker

Count me in to help out.

What ever you need bro, let me know. I cant carry any of my sick blobs with me though unless it rains cause we will be on the bike if it is nice.

Cant wait to see everyone...the old heads (if they are coming) and the new crop of guys.

-Rick

Thanks Rick. That will be outstanding!

I will be there :)

Send me the grippers you want calibrated,

Sounds Great Jedd.Should be a really good time. :rock

Fantastic Jedd!

Events are awesome. Best event selection for GGC! Great to see a good wrist event. I agree, even though I am totally gay for the hammers, the weaver to the rear was a very good event.

Good question, Josh. Yes it is. I will edit the post.

At the beginning of the year, I announed GGC's date for August 29th, 2009.

Now that Chad's excellent Grip contest is out of the way, it is time to prepare for Nationals.

The events are all the same as last year with one sizable change and a few minor changes.

1. Grippers (Minor Change #1)

- Parallel set only - Credit Card set is out!!!!

- Tons of calibrated grippers will be used

2. Two Hands Pinch

- No changes here. Same as always. Multiple widths, depending on athlete preference.

3. Axle

- Double Overhand only

- Sumo is allowed.

4. Medley (Minor Change #2)

- We will not do the mystery event this year. I know it was popular, but I feel it ended up too hard for the smaller handed individuals.

- All items will be announced.

- Some people may end up bringing things to use, but they will still be announced.

- Items will include Blob, Inch, Levering, Bending, Tearing, Loose Pinch, Block Weights, Rolling Thunder. Weights will be manageable for smaller handed individuals.

5. Weaver Stick to the Rear (instead of bending)

- I want to include a wrist event

- I don't want to include any bending

- Weaver Stick looks cool and is fairly easy to judge.

- It was a lot of fun at Gripmas

Entry fee is $50 and we are doing it at my house. I can't afford to carry this equipment into the gym all by myself again and destroy my hands for the 6th year in a row the day or two before the contest again.

There's plenty of my room in the garage and I have multiple pop-up ceilings that I can use to increase competing area. The only events we will need to be inside for are the pinch and axle, unless it rains, in which case we will do everything inside.

I think that's about it.

Check out this post on the Diesel site for the registration documents soon. They are just about ready.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here or on the site.

I will be updating the following link with answers to any questions asked: Grip Nationals Link

-Jedd-

Wishing you all the best With Championship Jedd...remember to list the sponsors ;)

"BIG AL"

Sounds like a blast! Is this open to anyone, or do you have to qualify?

Yea I was kind of wondering that myself, I would really like to compete in a contest sometime.

Sounds like a blast! Is this open to anyone, or do you have to qualify?

Yea I was kind of wondering that myself, I would really like to compete in a contest sometime.

You have to be qualified for the Nationals. You guys should attend Zach Coulter's Contest. Check out the Grip Cointest section for the Hybrid Comp by MalachiMcMullen.

Sponsors will be included in the post. Currently, PerthStrongman is the only sponsor.

I hope I can figure out how to make it!

Sponsors will be included in the post. Currently, PerthStrongman is the only sponsor.

Put me down as as the second sponsor please.

Chris,

Thanks for the support.

Send me that link you sent me once for your website, please.

-Jedd-

I can't believe you included axle when you're having back trouble. what about 2" v-bar, or crusher?

also, if you have any gripper gaps let me know, I have a couple of super hard ones and a few in the #3 range I can bring.

Are you allowing a wrist wrap on the Weaver like at Gripmas?

Is it strictly an open division contest, or will there be hand size or weight divisions?

Is it strictly an open division contest, or will there be hand size or weight divisions?

I am wondering the same thing??

These events are not hand size dominant so there will be only one division.

Are you allowing a wrist wrap on the Weaver like at Gripmas?

No doubt about it - yes.

I can't believe you included axle when you're having back trouble. what about 2" v-bar, or crusher?

also, if you have any gripper gaps let me know, I have a couple of super hard ones and a few in the #3 range I can bring.

Bro, I've had back trouble for the last 15 years. It's fine right now. My back always hurts when I fly in air planes, so no worries about the axle deadlift.

Bro, I've had back trouble for the last 15 years. It's fine right now. My back always hurts when I fly in air planes, so no worries about the axle deadlift.

I was more concerned about myself but, I'll be there.