Uk Guys; 25th July

twig

Thanks for the write-ups guys. Sounds like fun. Congrats to everyone! :D

My report:

Grippers

Started out knowing that my grippers have been off for a while, but assuming that a week's rest would've helped, so I went for a nice easy Level 8 with a minimal set because I don't get any advantage using a closer set and having to faff around with the block. I only got it to about 7mm which was a shock. Backed down to level 5 to get a banker in, then went up to 7 for my third attempt. 7 went down easily so went for broke with my final attempt, level 11, I've got this more times than I can count previously but not today.

vBar

Aim was a solid 130Kg, which I've already pulled in a comp, with a possible PB face off with Paul for 140Kg for the win. Pulled 80 so casually my free hand was still in my pocket so when I walked up to the 100 for my first "real" lift I was stunned when it didn't move, same thing on attempts 2 and 3 which was weird because it's been over a year since I last failed on 100Kg, several of the Primal guys beat me on this, but, and hopefully this won't come across as being petty, Only Lol Paul and I were lifting legally, everyone else was holding way down the bar.

Farmers

I was training with 32Kg KB for 200m and was doing a respectable (for me) time. Then we were told it was 28Kg for over 800m (I've paced it out and guestimate it's about 820), well the grip was never going to be a problem, and indeed it wasn't, but I haven't tried to run that far for 15 years! I can walk for England, in fact I walked to the comp and walked home, but run? I just don't have the cardio for that, I had to keep stopping just to get air in my lungs. Time was as close to 9 mins as makes no odds.

Wrist Roller

2 trips was advertised, so I assumed that would be: up, down, forwards, followed by: up, down, reverse. Turns out that was considered 1 trip! After holding KBs for 9 minutes my arms were already fried and my chances of a top 3 were banjoed, so when my left hand went numb halfway through the second trip I had a choice to make: carry on and save face, or dump it and stop the pain. I decided to carry on but you can't do an unsupported wrist roller with only one hand and I dropped it on my very next turn. :blush

Thanks to Simon and Paul for a great day, and I'll def go back if there's another one next year...just a little more strength endurance and a little less cardio in the farmers, eh?

Thanks to Simon and Paul for a great day, and I'll def go back if there's another one next year...just a little more strength endurance and a little less cardio in the farmers, eh?

A'men brother, a'men :rock

Twig looks remarkably relaxed there!

I hope you're referring to the guy on the left about the primal logo :laugh

Twig looks remarkably relaxed there!

I hope you're referring to the guy on the left about the primal logo :laugh

Oh yes :D

• 3 weeks later...

Bit late now, but I just realised the full results never got posted here. Here is the lowdown from Simon:

First off, a big well done to everyone that took part - Nice work guys!

Here are the results:

Overall:

1. Paul Wood - 7 Points

2. James Riley - 9 Points

3. Aaquil Rashid - 19 Points

4. Alex Minogue - 20 Points

5. Loz Owen - 23 Points

6. Kenji Abendango - 24 Points

7. Florian Donnard - 25 Points

8. Neil "Twig" Belcher - 26 Points

9. Peter Wilson - 30 Points

Despite coming last, I must say Pete held his own with a respectable score, despite not actually realising he was going to be partaking in a grip competition. He'd actually turned up for a bodyweight class not realising it had been cancelled for the comp!

Event 1 - Vulcan Gripper

1. Paul Wood - Level 10

1. Loz "Lol" Owen - Level 10

3. Neil "Twig" Belcher - Level 7

4. James Riley - Level 4

5. Pete Wilson - Level 1

5. Florian Donnard - Level 1

5. Kenji Abendango - Level 1

8. Alex Minogue - Level 0

8. Aaquil Rashid - Level 0

Event 2 - 1" V-Bar

1. Paul Wood - 140kg

2. Alex Minogue - 110kg

3. James Riley - 100kg

3. Kenji Abendengo - 100kg

5. Florian Donnard - 80kg

5. Neil "Twig" Belcher - 80kg

5. Loz "Lol" Owen - 80kg

5. Aaquil Rashid - 80kg

9. Peter Wilson - 60kg

Event 3 - Farmer's Walk

1. James Riley - 3:21

2. Alex Minogue - 3:39

3. Paul Wood - 3:49

4. Aaquil Rashid - 3:54

5. Peter Wilson - 4:47

6. Florian Donnard - 5:17

7. Kenji Abendango - 6:35

8. Loz "Lol" Owen - 7:52

9. Neil "Twig" Belcher - 8:54

Event 4 - Fat Wrist Roller

1. James Riley - 0:49

2. Paul Wood - 1:34

3. Aaquil Rashid - 1:42

Thanks again to everyone that participated, and thanks to Paul for the loan of his Vulcan Grippers and 1"Vbar.

Hope to see you all back down the gym for future challenges!