Uk Guys; 25th July

twig

Paul Wood (Noob Saibot on this forum) from Northwich, Cheshire, and Primal Fitness Gym in Salford, Greater Manchester, have teamed up to launch the Big NADS (Northwich and District Summer) Grip Comp this year on 25/07/2009.

Events are nominally, but subject to change:

Vulcan 20mm block set

vbar

Rolling Thunder

Spade lift (like a front weaver with weight on the spade head)

7lb Sledge hammer finger walking, max trips in 1 min

Come one, come all.

Known Grip names such as Paul Wood, Lawrence (LOL999), myself, and hopefully Fred will be there amongst the Northwest's best Body Active and Parkour athletes and sundry laymen that may prove awesomeness (think Tex, Rich and Durniat when thy first cooked up!)

I heard Twig was bigger than that :blush

Cheers for posting this Twig. I imagine the events will almost certainly change, I don't plan on carrying my spade on the train to Manchester!

I may possibly go on the bike if the family aren't coming into town, I've learnt not to do that now though!

:( Sorry guys but i will be sunning myself in the Costa Del Sol around this time,but best of luck to all that take part!

Update on events etc.

1) Vulcan Gripper

Rules as before, 20mm block set, 4 max attempts, ref must be able to clearly see set and close.

2) 1” Vertical Bar Lift

Again as before, 2" lift, 4 max attempts. Lock out not required, just lift the required height. Take 'warm up' attempts as needed.

3) Kettlebell Farmer’s Walk

Will use a 32kg kettlebell, 4 laps of the facility, fastest time wins.

4) Fat Wrist Roller

Wrists supported on a bar at about shoulder height, the roller itself is not supported. 5kg x 2 trips each way, fastest time wins. The weight doesn't sound much, but in this style, it's enough. I tried it on Saturday and it burns :rock

Tiebreaker: Dumbell Hex Hold

One end of a 12.5kg hex dumbell held for max time, bit like a hub lift.

I think this will be an interesting mix of events, a bit different from the usual. A few of the primal crowd should be competing, who probably won't be familiar with grippers or vbar, so will be at a disadvantage with those (I will try to give a few pointers though). The more speedy / endurancey events may help to even things out a bit for the kettlebelly types.

I'd suggest we do strongman style points system, 1 pt for 1st, 2 for 2nd etc., lowest score wins.

Kick off is at 2pm, please get there for 1:30 to get ready, sign disclaimers etc.

Hope you guys hit some big PRs at the contest! Had to say it's wonderful to see the 1" vbar in another contest. It's in the Pacific contest here in the States. Before that it's been gone a while.

Just to confirm the details:

Registration is at 13.30 with events due to kick off at 14.00 prompt.

Address is Primal Fitness

32 Viaduct Street

M3 7WX

Sat navs can have a few issues with the postcode for some reason so beware.

If you're driving, turn off the ring road in towards town on Blackfriar's Road at the Renault Garage on Trinity Way.

You'll see a Viaduct in front of you, Primal Fitness is under one of the arches to the left. You can park on the single Yellow Line outside from 12.30 onwards.

This said, we are an eco-friendly gym, so if you can bike/use public transport that would be great. We're a short walk from Victoria/Piccadilly and you can safely store your bike in the gym if you wish.

See you all on the day, good luck!

Yeah, sat nav doesn';t like the postcode but if you put the street name in it finds it okay, or at least my TomTom does. Really looking forward to it, all except the kettlebell run/plod/"for the love of god get me some oxygen" :D

I think the running will be over after about 25m, followed by brisk walking and then staggering :D

• 2 weeks later...

So Paul, La(u?w?)rence and myself representing the Grip scene against the NorthWest's finest Parkour guys.

Anyone else stepping up? And Max, sucks to be you in Spain atm, the weather here's ... ballix!

Just having my pre-competition bowl of fruit and fibre :D Got my bag packed and leaving in an hour. Can't wait.

Have fun! :rock

How'd the comp go guys?

Okay, my take on the proceedings:

Vulcan - went nice, got a level 10 CCS-ish without too much trauma (20mm set my arse). Stalled out on level 11.

1" Vbar - never done this before and I don't think I will ever again. Maxed out at 80Kg but the pain I'm feeling in my fingers afterwards is not nice. Probably my wrapping the palm incorrectly. Think I'd much rather go for the 2".

Kettlebell run - what a joke. Never a test of grip strength, purely a cardio vascular endurance test (although one or two of the Primal crowd were struggling in the grip department with one guy balancing it on his wrist ! ), which Twig and I have little of! I'm next to the heaviest at 275lbs and definitely the oldest at 44. Finished next to last in 7 mins 52 sec I think.

Wrist roller - didn't finish, muscles just too cramped to perform. In hindsight I probably could have finished but just didn't have the patience to grind it out, much like Twig.

Overall a balanced competition testing brute strength and endurance. I suppose when we are continually chasing harder and harder grippers, or higher and higher pinch totals we forget about the endurance work and for some people, such as climbers, that's important. The Primal crew were a good bunch of lads and made us welcome, they were slightly in awe of our strength on the Vulcan but I assured them on a regular basis that in the grip game we are pretty much "bottom feeders".

Despite my feelings on the events I really enjoyed it. Would I go again? Probably not if that's the mix of events.

Cheers, Lol

Results:

1. Me

2. James - fit climber, smoked us on the endurance events

3. Aaquil if I'm reading it right (I took pictures of the scoresheets after!)

Full results to follow once Simon has sent them through.

Here's a bit of a rundown of how the events went:

Vulcan Gripper

A bit of a fiddly one for the guys that hadn't tried it before, most had it too far back and too low in the palm to start, but after a bit of coaching from me and Twig nearly everyone got at least a L1 close. Me and Lol both got L10 and just missed out on L11. As 3rd place was in the bag, Twig went for broke with a L11 attempt at the end but was a bit off on the grippers today and ended with L7.

Vbar

We did this last man standing style in the end, which worked really well actually, it was probably better for the guys who hadn't tried it rather than having to guess what to attempt. I was the only one to get 120kg, and did a final lift with 140 for a pr (143 with the bar), which came up about 6" and felt a pretty easy lift, I reckon 150 would have been there today, pretty pleased with that. 2nd went to Alex on 110kg, 3rd James and Kenji on 100kg

Kettlebell Farmers

I was thinking we were talking about laps round the gym, not laps round the block :yikes All that 'grip won't be an issue' stuff went out of the window, by the end - it was an issue. I did it in 3:49, which was enough for 3rd, then had to lie down on the concrete for a bit :blush James won it with 3:21.

Wrist roller

5kg, 2 trips each way doesn't sound much, but unsupported it really starts burning on the third trip up. Only 3 of us completed all four, I was 2nd with 1:34, but James did an impressive 48 seconds :blink

Felt sorry for Florian, who put in a massive effort to get within a foot of finishing, but his hands refused to obey further instruction.

Thanks to Simon and Fernando for having us over, I have a months free membership now, so I'd better make use of it!

Edited by Noob Saibot

Forgot to add thanks to Paul for his efforts and willingness to merge his event with Primals. Cheers fella.