20 Rep Squats

arande2

It's time for the next 20-rep tonight and my legs are a little sore. But.. I don't think I'll have a problem if I go ahead with the next session tonight. I read that it tells your body "it better heal or else)

?

Do it. You'll be fine. So long as you're not going into a 20 rep session, or heavy session, while VERY sore you should be good. Your legs get used to the punishment faster than you think but slower than you want.

Guest Bullitt

As long as there isn't any acute pain and it's just regular soreness, you should be fine. When I was doing this with deads instead of squats, it was rare that there wasn't some lingering soreness.

Guest Bullitt
How meny times a week have you been doing them?

The traditional 20 rep squat routine is 3 days a week. That ended up being too much for me when I did it, so i dropped down to 2.

I did it and afterwards the soreness wasn't very strong, but my legs were really weak and still are.

Yes I do it three times a week, and started last session.

Last time I did this I gained 20 pounds, mostly in the legs and a bit everywhere else. People comment on my leg size, so these squats are probably working.

The traditional 20 rep squat routine is 3 days a week. That ended up being too much for me when I did it, so i dropped down to 2.

What traditional 20 rep squat routine were you going off of? When I did them it was always once a week, but I did it 2 times a week till I got to 315 then went to 1 time a week. I don't think I could go 3 times a week with it. :blink Last time I did them was about 3 years ago. They work!

Guest Bullitt

What traditional 20 rep squat routine were you going off of? When I did them it was always once a week, but I did it 2 times a week till I got to 315 then went to 1 time a week. I don't think I could go 3 times a week with it. :blink Last time I did them was about 3 years ago. They work!

It's the original Super Squats program - 30lbs of muscle in 6 weeks (Also known as squats & Milk) by Randall Strossen . It calls for 3 times per week with the weight being increased 5lbs each workout. It also calls for a gallon of milk to be drank every day. Good stuff. Works like crazy. I did it with 20 rep deads the last time.

Edited by Bullitt

Another Question here ~~~~

Say I had a little sloppy form on some reps and fixed it and did it with better form on the last 5 reps (3 extra reps)..

Should I stay at the same weight or go up 5? I think I should go up 5 because weight wasn't too bad, I just wasn't keeping the form in check on every rep.

? Same or up 5?

Guest Bullitt
Another Question here ~~~~

Say I had a little sloppy form on some reps and fixed it and did it with better form on the last 5 reps (3 extra reps)..

Should I stay at the same weight or go up 5? I think I should go up 5 because weight wasn't too bad, I just wasn't keeping the form in check on every rep.

? Same or up 5?

I would go up 5, paying special attention to form. However, if your form continues to deteriorate as the weights go up, I would take one or 2 sessions, dial the weight down so you can work on finding that groove, then head back up in weight.

To let you know (Bullitt or anyone), I turned out pretty well with the form tonight.

1/4 way into the cycle.

Guest Bullitt
To let you know (Bullitt or anyone), I turned out pretty well with the form tonight.

1/4 way into the cycle.

Nice! Keep it up bro! :rock

Well tonight I did them barefoot.

I felt sore again, which seemed unusual, but welcome.

I think there was a thread about this somewhere..

• 1 month later...

You want to do all reps IN GOOD FORM. If you were to ask me, I'd say stay at the weight you're at now till you get all 20 in good form. The last few reps should look like you're not gonna make it; but STILL... you'll do them in good form. Does this make any sense?... what I'm trying to tell you is make sure you master the weight all the way through to all 20 -- otherwise, what's the point of adding another 5 pounds?

Oh and something else: you might wanna get a camcorder and video yourself squatting. Don't laugh - I did it and found out I wasn't going parallel like I thought I was; it will also reveal alot about your form among other things you might not know about.