Uh Oh - New #3

Bill Piche

You're a sick man Tom Black.

I was in Sam's Club on Saturday with my son and walked through the tool section. They had a boxed crescent wrench set on sale. I looked at it and chuckled out loud while thinking of you ruining Sam's inventory. My son gave me a strange look and asked what was so funny about a wrench.

BOINGY was definitely not the description that came to mind. More like SILENCE, as the wrench just sat there daring me to try and bend it. :whacked

I think I'm spending more time looking at these emoticons then drafting my posts. Not good.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Roark

• Tom of Iowa2

• bseedot

Where do you guys live? I'm in a NW suburb of Chicago and I have a full set of Ironmind grippers. I got them a while ago and they all came in the older gray packaging. From the #1 to the #4 they are all double stamped. I can only close a #1 myself so I'm not a good judge of grippers, but if anyone wants to try mine out they would be welcome to.

Oh yeah, I get a 10% cut on all #3 grippers ordered today from Strossen.

LOL

I wonder how many gripper have been sold, over the years, due to rumors of a weak or strong batch!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but don't you generally have to close the gripper provided by the certification person?

What heat? If you close a 3 you close a 3. The fact that

they vary more often than the direction Vanna White is walking does not matter one whip.

If closing the easiest 3 is cheating, then everyone should

be required to close the hardest 3.

A 3 is a 3, you see, you see, and a COC you'll be if you close a 3!

Hi Joe. I agree with you completely, so if I can find a weaker #3 I'm fine with that. I just have a hunch that some out there will think me a pansy-ass for trying to find an 'easy' way out, inserting testosterone and ego into their stance, but I'm not concerned with that in this situation. A #3 is definitely a #3 and none are easy to close. At any rate, I'm available for a good ribbing anytime...

Have you thought of writing your own version of Dr. Seuss books? :tongue

BC.

No books, but we had a chain of raw fish restauants at

one point called Suess E.

Children hated the food, but The Cat in the Hat loved the

leftovers. :blink

If a 45 pound plate varies plus or minus 4 pounds, then

a range of 41 to 49 lbs an be expected. In a plate curl,

that would make an enormous difference, but, hey, if the

marking says 45 pounds then I guess it must be 45 pounds :laugh

When we talk about IM grippers, especially the IM #3... we haffta realize that we know much more about the grippers than the average buyer from IronMind. Wanna is talking about grippers, and he's had YEARS of experience with them (and so have most people on this forum, including me).

The newbie getting the IM #3 or if he is getting the set of grippers from IronMind doesn't know this. They just think that they are TOUGH grippers. I do agree with Wanna in the fact that as the years progress, the grippers get weaker. There should be some sort of quality control over at IronMind regarding the strength of the grippers; I don't see it happening soon if not at all. End result: more COC certifications than would normally happen. My "two virgins" thread proved that.

This 3 definitely has a softer spring. It's much blacker in color. I compared it to other grippers tonight.

It's going to be really easy I think after seasoning.

Wannagrip,

Are you indicating that it may be very close to

a strong #2?

Could be. Could be. We shall see after about 100 closes.

Joe,

I realize it's not your point but if you by the 'standard'inexpensive(pig iron from china? :blush ))lympic plates there IS a huge difference in the weight of plates.

Usually they are heavy though but i think we have a few around 43 and 44....most are 46.5 to 48.5.We have a couple over 49 and one about 51 and there is one that is unmarked(not ever weighed on a certified scale)that feels heavier.You load that one on your enemy....when he's doing a set of close grip benches. ;) Whoops......I think you'r losing strength in that arm? :whistel

With 80 plus 45's laying around the average is about 46.5 or 46.75?

Our 100's are over 103...one is 106.5.

Actually, Tom, that was part of my point. It has been

discussed that plates vary, and that we have the means

to bypass the relief number-45 pounder or whatever-to

pinpoint exact weight.

So far we have not come up with a similar scale for grippers, but just as an experienced weight trainer can

tell if a plate feels heavy or like, so it is obvious if a gripper

feels easier.

Let's imagine 20 #3 grippers are lined up and that a

dozen men spend enough time to determine which gripper

is the easiest to close and which is the hardest.

Both are #3's, so in fact it should not make any difference if I choose the easy gripper and you the hardest, and we

go for reps, because we are both using #3s, but in

ice water reality, the only fair test would for both of us to

use the same gripper whether easiest or hardest.

But in fact those '20' grippers are spread all over the place

and are not available to test even if we had the mechanics, so when one guy gets 10 reps with his 3 and another guy gets only 3 reps, it could in fact be that the

man who got only 3 reps is in fact stronger, and maybe could get 11 reps with the other 3.

I don't know. Nobody knows, and therein lies the dilemma.

Yeah it sounds like a mess.I'm not into the grippers.... yet..sort of prefer grip stuff that you lift 'stuff'but i'm sure the gripper fever WILL hit us eventually.....and when it does probably just as excited as the next guy..and just as bewildered :whacked

Perhaps when we hear of a relative unknown hits 5 or 10 reps with a number 3?... it happened?Not taking any side on this but the nature of the grippers themselves makes things difficult to document.Then i'm learning terms like shaved handles,seasoned,boingy :D ,spring placement,...smooth handles,knurled handles,thinner handle,wider handles,harder steel.......etc.,etc.

Picking up a dumbell or a stack of weights is easier to document... :blush

Back to our overweight 45's and 100's..it can really make a difference if you piled 5 or 6 or 7 plates- a side -and they are ALL overweight.(can make a 20 to 40lb gross weight difference)and heaven forbid if you have the 49 , 51 and the unmarked 51 on the same side... :inno sometimes happens to others when I'm loading the bar.

oh yeah..they are cool..just saving them for a rainy day.

I closed a guys number 2 a few times.There is a trainer at the gym...that the owner (a girl)can close ...But we'll get into them I'm sure someday.

The weird thing is-as an outsider looking in-Grippers seem to have more variables and inconsistancies NOW then they used to.....seems like as time goes on-progress-technology-knowledge- and all that ...it should be easier to have consistancy than it used to be?

Maybe we'll just wait? til they make a REAL easy no.4 with boingy metal,easier spring placement,thicker knurled handles,that are closer together... :cry Just kidding.

The marketing trick would BE to make the 4 EZier..so you could then market a number 5 :inno Then your sales would really go up... :D

Wannagrip

Maybe you should put that gripper on ebay! Let everyone here know. Spread the word on a few other forums. You could make a lot of money!

P.S. Before you think I'm looking to bid, I couldn't afford the postage!

but, hey, if the

marking says 45 pounds then I guess it must be 45 pounds :laugh

What about those special aluminum plates that way only a pound or two but are marked 45? Do they count as 45? I'm getting stronger just thinking about it!

Guest Petschler

I have closed Mikael Siverssons no3 several times and Arne Perssons, and my own,right hand but only a PDA 359 with my left hand ,but on our gym they have a no2 who is wery hard ask Arne about it like a PDA359 (allmost). I have sent my certifikation papers to Dr Strossen so i hope to get my name on the list soon.And be a real man....

Best regards Håkan Petschler sweden strongest man finalist.

Edited by Petschler

Guest Youngguy

Hi

I was just reading the entire discussion and wanted to give my perspective on the matter.

First, I thought that the double stamped grippers were allot harder than the single stamped grippers.

Second, I don’t think it should matter much if there happen to be a #3 out there that was easy as a #1. Reason: I am satisfied with my accomplishment of my #3, and not because it is a 3. Meaning my #3 gave me one of the greatest challenge of accomplishments in my life. Grippers are nearly a tool for building crushing grip. That is why Brookfield seldomly uses them, because he has better ways of doing so.

That is my view in that argument, but it does short change people who get a weaker gripper to work with. Which would limit them, and just crater the gaps even more between grippers. If you had that problem I am sure Mr. Strossen would let you exchange for a different gripper, or a tougher one. That is if it was sort of brand new and almost unused.

Hope this helps in consideration of the matter, but I don’t mean to argue over it. I only want to show my point of perspective.

Michael Sanderson

Guest Mikael Siversson

Welcome Håkan,

I hope you are training hard with the v-bar. Arne and I will decide on the wrist event today. It will probably be our new special wrist gizmo that will stun the grip world. :D