Uh Oh - New #3

Bill Piche

I just got another #3. Double stamped. My crush is way down due to focusing on the Inch. Unseasoned. First try, it was closed. I was shocked. It was mush. :(

It's probably not much harder than my old style BBM. In fact, my BBM might be harder. The thing was spongy as hell. God only knows what it will be like after 100 closes.

If that's what's coming out right now in 2003, look for a whole SLEW of new COC's.

Just being honest and passing on the info to the grip brothers and sisters.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Roark

• Tom of Iowa2

• bseedot

Guest Mikael Siversson

Bill, heard a very similar story from a friend who recently got a new double stamped #3 and closed it fairly easily straight out of the bag. He concluded that seasoned it would not be harder than a hard #2. This is in complete contrast to the first batches of doubled stamped #3's which were generally hard ones.

If it's true that they are getting easier then they may as well stop the certification process. I am about as close as can be on my three. I've found easier but want to certify on my own.

An ethical dilemma.

I've been working hard to close my #3 which I purchased in early '01. I can close my BBM and do so 2x per week for about 25x throughout the day (close every 15 minutes and hold for 10 secs.).

The majority of posts over the last few months lead me to believe that the double stamped grippers are generally easier to close than the older ones.

Do I punk out now and buy a new gripper and get certified sooner or wait until I close my one and only #3 and wind up being further down the list? :(

Guest Mikael Siversson

The new #4' are also much easier than the last single stamped ones that were made. He got an unseasoned brand new #4 down to about 10 mm. Today he tried a 2001 model single stamped #4 (mine) and got it to about 3 cm away from closing. THis one is however a monster #4.

Bill, heard a very similar story from a friend who recently got a new double stamped #3 and closed it fairly easily straight out of the bag. He concluded that seasoned it would not be harder than a hard #2. This is in complete contrast to the first batches of doubled stamped #3's which were generally hard ones.

I am truly disappointed at how easy it was.

It's time for some quality control. :)

Guest Mikael Siversson

The hardest #2 I have tried is one of my own and it is a 2002 double stamped. Much, much harder than my 2001 single stamped. They are all over the place to quote a fellow gripster.

Wannagrip,

Is there anything about the gripper in terms of design that could account for the weakness? Width of handles, spring mount depth, for instance?

Wannagrip,

Offer to mail your gripper to whoever is within 1/4" of

closing his own gripper. Let's try for 100 more COC's

by the end of January.

Because we are told there we are imagining these wide

variances, the factor must be the training ideas espoused

here.... :rolleyes

I believe I may have lucked out when I made my order. My #1, #2 have the new coloured packaging whereas my #3 must have been one of the last of the older double stamp batch as it is in the older grey packaging, my trainer bought locally was also in this packaging.

Jon@han

Soon Im receiving a new #3. I will tell you later if its' harder or easier than the #3 I have. I guess it will be easier...but who really knows...

An ethical dilemma.

Do I punk out now and buy a new gripper and get certified sooner or wait until I close my one and only #3 and wind up being further down the list? :(

I don't know that it's so much an ethical dilemna as it is a question of whether you're prepared to have some people view you as a punk for trying to buy a weaker #3.

Speaking for myself, I'll be a punk. After reading this thread I ordered another #3 (and Brookfield's new book). I'd like to be Certified someday but, frankly, I don't like the grippers very much right now. So if I can find an Ironmind made COC with a #3 stamped on the handles then, whatever it's strength, that's good enough for me. I'll take whatever heat you guys dish out when/if I close it.

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives...

BC.

bseedot,

What heat? If you close a 3 you close a 3. The fact that

they vary more often than the direction Vanna White is walking does not matter one whip.

If closing the easiest 3 is cheating, then everyone should

be required to close the hardest 3.

This being all theory, since there is no significant variance.

If I could find the Inch 75 lb dumbell, I would deadlift it

with either hand, then clean it with either hand, and put it

overhead with either hand, and then announce that I had

done all of this with the Inch challenge bell. Just like Tommy did. No need to point out the 97 pound range of weight variance with all the other bells also presented as his Challenge bells.

Let's say on a table sit 15 #3 grippers, and that a newly

certified COC tries each of them. Must he be able to close

each separate one over a course of days, or just be able to close one. Obviously the easiest one? Or close, say, 5

of them?

A 3 is a 3, you see, you see, and a COC you'll be if you close a 3!

(This little guy is watching Vanna :shifty )

When it comes to grippers nobody is a punk if they're honest. We all know that if you get 100 grippers that are the "same" you will be able to rank these 100 grippers from easiest to hardest.

Also in a hard "batch" you will have some easier grippers. PDA has proved this, and IM warns us of this as well.

The simple fact is a #1 and I don't care which one will stop most men. I have witnessed this with my own grippers. A #3 will stop all, unless you train, it doesn't matter if it's "strong" or "weak".

Train hard, remember why you started training your grip. You didn't start training your grip to get certified. You started training to get stronger hands. ;)

-HH

When it comes to grippers nobody is a punk if they're honest. We all know that if you get 100 grippers that are the "same" you will be able to rank these 100 grippers from easiest to hardest.

Also in a hard "batch" you will have some easier grippers. PDA has proved this, and IM warns us of this as well.

The simple fact is a #1, and I don't care which, one will stop most men. I have witnessed this with my own grippers. A #3 will stop all, unless you train, it doesn't matter if it's "strong" or "weak".

Train hard, remember why you started training your grip. You didn't start training your grip to get certified. You started training to get stronger hands. ;)

-HH

Wannagrip,

Is there anything about the gripper in terms of design that could account for the weakness? Width of handles, spring mount depth, for instance?

Actually, looking at it, it is set fairly deep. The spring. Very black. BOINGY looking if that makes sense. That's what sticks out....

Oh yeah, I get a 10% cut on all #3 grippers ordered today from Strossen.

BAAHAHAHAH!

I bet Strossen is wondering why there are so many #3 orders today. :laugh

BOINGY looking if that makes sense.
Huh? I have no idea what that means. Is that the sound it makes as you rep it out.

The spring looked soft. It is very black.

I'll have to take your word for it, I'm not buying one. I think I know what you mean, I get the same feeling when I look at a crescent wrench :)