Rules Discussion Here!

Bill Piche

Please post your suggested modifications to the rules, changes, etc. here in this thread. Here they are currently.

Please use the following guidelines when posting to the Gripboard.

1. Insults and flames on the board will not be tolerated. Simply treat everyone with the usual common courtesy as if we're in a room together or talking face to face.

At the discretion of the moderators, if the violation of #1 is severe, it may result in permanent suspension.

2. No extreme profanity is allowed on the board. Profanity combined with the breaking of Rule #1 will result in automatic suspension from the board. An example would be "You are an asshole and don't know shit!"

3. No Ads or Spam. They will be deleted. A post will be considered spam if you basically never post and then out of nowhere post a link to a site you are associated with for either pulling traffic from the Gripboard or if you sell something on the site. A post will also be considered spam if you make a post with links in the body that have nothing to do with the post. Posting of links in signature lines may also be viewed as spam depending on the link.

4. Posting articles or paragraphs of copyrighted material without expressed consent of the author is prohibited. Simple quotes are ok. Links are ok too.

5. Posts that are obviously near or exceeding world records or all time bests require a picture with the post. Cameras are cheap. If there is no picture with the post, the post will be deleted. In addition, whatever record, world or otherwise, is being touted, it should be in accord with the rules for that lift, not some version of the lift for which indeed no records have ever been kept.

We ask that you report ANY violations of these rules. Report any violations to the moderators. In the bottom right corner of every post there is a link which allows you to do this.

We will generally not contact you to inform you of your rule violations nor will we provide explanations off the GripBoard. Not knowing the rules is not an excuse.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Roark

• gazza

• "D"

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the idea of moving violaters of #5 to the goerner's forum is a good one, as it might be entertaining to see what some people's imaginations are capable of. :stuart

Jon@han

Guest woody36

I don't think anybody has a problem with the first four, and #5 is

definately applicable to grip newbies with no pedigree. eg:Joe Bloggs

comes on claiming to rep the #3 and isn't even certified yet!

And before anyone jumps in, yes i know Tommy made this claim,but

at least his name is on the list and with an easier #3 at least it's

plausable.

If someone continued making claims and failed to provide evidence

then by all means they should be considered a troll! But until that

time, it would be nice if we could treat each other with respect

instead of dismissing the feat out of hand because we ourselves

cannot do it.

Lastly, i think if someone with the calibre of Sorin,Horne,Heath,Pat

or Tom etc puts a post up saying they lifted such and such in a work

out,or bent a certain piece of steel, then we should respect their

word, after all these people are setting the standards and creating

the records in the first place!

Should a record be broken or claimed, then photographic/reliable witness

or video evidence would be required.

Where do you think Thomas Inch would have fit in Woody?

Also, just because someone doesn't actually say "world record" in the post, should that make a difference?

Wanna,

I am curious how you would consider handling profanity when post-ers substitute special characters for most letters in a profane word. It's a common tool to get around filters, but will you allow it here? My opinion is we don't need it. If you allow it, why not just allow the word itself?

T&@#ks, A#$n

Terminator's point about not objecting to being asked for proof got my brain out of drydock. When his friends say

he's on another bender, they don't mean he's drinking.

Heath, as most here know has often had the #4 within

a 16th of an inch or so.

Horne has deadlifted an Inch from several reports.

So if terminator bends something a bit thicker than he has

been known to bend before, or if Heath finally makes his

#4 handles kiss, or if Horne adds a few pounds to the Inch and deadlifts it- none of those scenarios cause me to gasp in disbelief. I can personally accept each concept.

But this is not about what I or anyone else can accept,

if it were, we would simply be tossing opinions around.

If photos are required as our 'competition with each other'

rules, then so be it.

Those who choose not to offer proof are only adding to the doubt which was expressed in the first place. Now,

some one may say 'Well, I KNOW I did it and that's all

that matters'. If it really is all that matters, then do not post about the matter without the photo as verification.

And you will be happy, and so will everyone else.

So, even though certain claims from certain people will

find belief in my mind out of respect from what they have already accomplished- by that logic, all we need is that

every once in a while, a fan of that person, or that person himself, send in a slight addition of performance and we

must accept that level as well. That's what happened in

the case of Paul Anderson- people were claiming lifts for him higher than he ever claimed for himself!

So that won't work.

Lift, click, send, protect yourself.

Thanks terminator.

Wanna,

I am curious how you would consider handling profanity when post-ers substitute special characters for most letters in a profane word. It's a common tool to get around filters, but will you allow it here? My opinion is we don't need it. If you allow it, why not just allow the word itself?

T&@#ks, A#$n

There are no filters in place right now.

Wanna,

Part of Rule 1 states: "Simply treat everyone with the usual common courtesy as if we're in a room together or talking face to face." Well if you and I are face to face talking about our workouts, I'm probably not going to have a picture of it, but I may have a friend who you consider reliable who saw my workout and can attest to it. Then again, I may not. If not, you may or may not accept what I say but you probably won't keep me from saying it.

So I guess what I am saying is that I think rule 5, though well intended, is excessively harsh. Perhaps someone on this forum (Roark or David Horne would probably be my first two picks) could put together some sort of record list on a variety of grip feats. To break a record on that list, one must submit photographic or videotape evidence of the feat. No post would be deleted but without verification, it would not replace an existing record. Obviously not every grip feat could be listed. Those that were not listed would always be considered as unofficial and posts regarding those would go to the Goerner Reborn forum.

The actual compilation of the records might take some work, but I have a feeling Joe and/or Dave already have some sort of database for such feats. Maintaining the list would be relatively easy, I think.

By no means is this suggestion perfect but I do feel it is better than just arbitrarily deleting posts from the more advanced men because of their nearness to a record, especially since they may already be the one with the record.

Mark

Here's my little take. People may accept my word, they may not, the way I see it, if you're doing something that is up high or off the charts, get a picture, period. Claim after claim even by a reliable person, or a group of people constantly saying so and so did this over and over will get people to thinking. I train for me, not for comps or anyone else, just me. The ol' saying a picture is worth a thousand words rings true. I could talk all the crap I wanted, but without proof, what good is it? It's just hot air. After the shit I took before i got certifed, from 2 good friends now, I have done everything I could to keep people from questioning me. I closed the 3, pic and video, BBE, pic and video, etc etc. I am doing nothing but repeating Pat's post, but it was good enough to be said again. It would save a lot of trouble too. Instead of fighting about who saw so and so, just tell them to go to the gallery and look at the picture. That would save 10 page threads, country wars, and the usual bitching that has went on here.

What ever happened to the benevolent dictator? :(

Has anyone noticed that as Wannagrip has gotten stronger his demeanor has gotten softer :laugh

If this is going to be a democratic process let's put rule #5 to a poll. Otherwise, let's accept the rules as written, give Wannagrip credit for running the best discussion board on the net and get back to discussing GRIP :D

Check out Diesel Power if you want an example of total

chaos on a forum. The few serious posters are hurricaned

away by roaming bands of trolls bent on the destruction

of anything serious.

Apparently whoever runs that place has been away

since Carter was President.

Anyway, this is Wannagrip's playground, and his rules.

Each of us is free to leave without restraint, or free to

remain with the minor restraint of proving upper level

claims. Ah, the burden of it all.

If I could deadlift the Inch there would be free 8x10 glossies for the free world. :tongue

In rule 5:

How about replacing the words "the post will be deleted" with "the thread will be locked until such time that a picture is available." This way you can be free to post what you want.

This would be the new rule:

5. Posts that are obviously near or exceeding world records or all time bests require a picture with the post. Cameras are cheap. If there is no picture with the post, the thread will be locked until such time that a picture is available. In addition, whatever record, world or otherwise, is being touted, it should be in accord with the rules for that lift, not some version of the lift for which indeed no records have ever been kept.

let's accept the rules as written, give Wannagrip credit for running the best discussion board on the net and get back to discussing GRIP :D

I second that notion.

let's accept the rules as written, give Wannagrip credit for running the best discussion board on the net and get back to discussing GRIP :D

I second that notion.

:rock

Had to use the new icon for this!

I agree with the last 2 posts.

Lets do away with the negativety(i am also guilty of this)and enjoy the gripboard for what we all came to it in the 1st place :D

Should there be a time limit on locked posts in need of

photo/video verification?

If somehow (dreaming here) the printed magazines

which offered erroneous claims decades ago could somehow have been edited, or those errors deleted,

then at least the newer students of history would not have been deceived all this time.

If unverified claims remain visible indefinitely without proof then the person posting the message has

accomplished the intended result- a claim, which will settle in the minds of those not sure, and a claim somehow gaining credence by its very availability on the

monitor.

The value in allowing the claims to be posted without

photo/video prood is that timewise, we will know the

chronology of who accomplished what, first. But if verification is not forthcoming fortnightly, should such posts be deleted?

Guest sjeff70

In a perfect world, yes. I agree with you. I'm a student of physical culture history; I put a lot of time, effort, and money in building my collection. I want truth, not fiction. If I want to compare my lifts with those of the past, I want to know those lifts were really made and by whom.

In a not so perfect world. I think it enabled us to break records that otherwise might not have been broken so quickly. We have poundages to reach, goals to shoot for. And when I read an old book or magazine, I want to be entertained; and I don't want to have worry about which records were faked and which ones are real.

I'm all for the time limit, Roark. I'm going to have to start cracking though if I want to use it. :rolleyes

Jeff

I like the idea of Gripboard records. You want to beat the record, you gotta provide proof. They can be world records or records set by guys here, which I imagine will have set some worlds too. I don't agree with deleting or locking posts just because there's no proof. I think most of us can recognize who's a troll and who's not. Besides, say someone just wants to share a story [like Mr. Sorin last week] and is not looking to be acclaimed, rule #5 will put an end to this also.

Beercat,

I know you're respected here and I've seen the video too, I give you props! But I gotta take you on something. You say you train for you. Not comps, not anyone else, well why "have you done everything to keep people from questioning you"?

Well, I do train for me, but people tend to think that some of the stuff I do is pretty good. The way I see it, if you're good or considered good you have an obligation to prove what you do. I tell a few people what I've done, it gets posted, someone asks for proof, there is none, all of a sudden I'm a turd like other people. Plus, maybe people can get an idea of how to do something based on a pic or video, I learned from 3Crusher's #3 video. At least I'm going throught the trouble to get things documented, that's much better than some. Years from now when someone says, "well, I saw Heath do .............." and someone else says, "bullshit", they can look at the picture or video, so there are no questions to be asked.

First off "D", how do we know whether or not you are a troll? That's an awful short name, does it say that on your birth certificate?

Second, at the risk of being very redundant, the video clips were mostly shared between friends, only Wannagrip felt they merited posting. After much heated negotiation he allowed the clips to be posted.

I think many people got sick and tired of hearing ridiculous claims without proof. More often than not a photo showed just how ridiculous some of these claims were either with bogus techinques or stupid equipment designed to boost someone's self image. Trust me, there are many things that old BEERCAT??? has done that would simply blow your mind. We don't bother mentioning them because the same old people will suddenly and instantly beat them all.

Don't really care if people don't like this post or not....truth hurts doesn't it?

There are a few people on this ball of dust who actually

know more about humility than how to spell it. Heath is

one of those people.

If he telephoned me and told me that he closed the 4,

I would believe him. Yesterday, off the board, I asked him

why he has not closed it yet-he has been so close so long

that it should have been shut. Now according to board

rules, if he posts that he closed it, then that post will

probably be locked until proof comes in- and that is a fair

treatment, reflecting NO DOUBT in the minds of several

of us here.

The sad section of this situation is that when the genuine

article comes along, such as Heath, and Pat (terminator),

they are blanketed by the same doubt as are others who make incredible claims. Unavoidable. The difference is,

proof can be provided by both these men. And the scary

thing is, neither man has peaked!

I am hoping next summer Heath has a chance to try the

MB.

If you knew what Heath and Pat had done the last 4-5 days it would blow your socks off. And yet, neither one of these guys has posted (neither have I) what was accomplished. One, because it's against the rules without proof and two because they don't too their own horn and never will. I had to beg for allowance to clip the AOBS dinner repping with the 3 video.

I 2 think the way forward is locked post pending,photos or vodeo.

I personally think in the last few months the gripboard has gotten even better,look at all the things that have been captured for us all to marvel at and take inspiration from,Mark Henry conquering the Inch,

Slims awesome hammer demonstrations,Bearcat 74(BEERCAT)>>>>>

Domination of the 3#,Jim Wylie,s lift of the inch rep and blob,

David Hornes double lift of the floor of the inch replicas,Wade Gillinghams double blob lift,ETE ETC,and who nows what else is to come

next year and in the future.

I think Grip History is in the making and the members on hear are the ones who are going to be helping make the HISTORY :cool

Wannagrip has and is doing a great job as are all the other moderators

helping to run the best grip board in the world,which makes us all richer people for being members,But without us the members the board would not exist,so we help make the board what it is,so lets help are selves by helping each other and the moderators run the best board

in the world and not another Diesel Power Forum!!!

Hows about the members that have been band,being allowed back on

as a good will gesture open to a vote.

New Years day soon fresh start for everyone but under the new gripboard rules :D

There is a saying that goes" let he without sin cast the 1st stone" ,lets

welcome everyone back with open arms. :coo.

AAAAaarrrrRRRRR come and give us a huge hug!!! :laugh:D

Perhaps some of those banned cast the first stone that

caused them to be banned? So if they are without sin why

would they want to join us :laugh

What do you think, do you Wannadance?

Roark

I agree with you completely,just thought it would be a nice touch :D Its just so much better if we all get on and it makes life easier,

less high blood pressure etc :ohmy:cool