Bench Press Hurting Biceps?

Guest Bullitt

Guest Bullitt

I did a 1 rep max on my bench tonight and the same thing happened that has happened the last few times i have gone for a max. My left bicep started hurting after the lift. It hurts like that for about an hour and subsides. Anybody ever heard of bench pressing hurting your bicep? It doesn't seem to be a tear and only does this when i do heavy singles, doubles, or triples. I've heard of guys blowing out pecs and hurting shoulders and elbows, but bicep? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

If I'm not warmed up properly then I feel my bicep tendons starting to hurt on heavy singles.

So yes, I have it too.

THe only thing I found that works is being warmed up properly before starting heavy singles....

I did a 1 rep max on my bench tonight and the same thing happened that has happened the last few times i have gone for a max. My left bicep started hurting after the lift. It hurts like that for about an hour and subsides. Anybody ever heard of bench pressing hurting your bicep? It doesn't seem to be a tear and only does this when i do heavy singles, doubles, or triples. I've heard of guys blowing out pecs and hurting shoulders and elbows, but bicep? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Possible bicep tendonitis?

Guest Bullitt
If I'm not warmed up properly then I feel my bicep tendons starting to hurt on heavy singles.

So yes, I have it too.

THe only thing I found that works is being warmed up properly before starting heavy singles....

Yea, I tend not to warm up as much as i should because i don't want to sap strength for the max attempt. I definitely need to do this though. If i blow out a bicep, I can forget the max. Thanks!

Possible bicep tendonitis?

I don't think it is full blown tendonitis as it only hurts for about an hour after i bench. At other times, it seems to be ok. Could definitely be a warning that I'm heading in that direction. All the more reason to do that extra set or two of warmups. Thanks again guys.

I agree I don't think it's full blown tendonitis. Have you tried the TENS machine? Good stuff!

Guest Bullitt
I agree I don't think it's full blown tendonitis. Have you tried the TENS machine? Good stuff!

I haven't. What's that?

Man, do more warm-ups sets!

Your in a race with Goody......follow his blog and look at what he does on chest day.

I do 2-3 sets with just the bar working up to a faster pace each set.

Then I put 25's on and do speed work one set for 10-12 reps.

Then I'am ready for the big weight!

BTW...I'am no world class bencher but my best is 285#@158bw.....I am 170 now and have not done a max effort in awhile :(

I have had to stop benching as it flares up my tendonitis in the bicep tendons...as far as biceps being involved in benching, pavel says its one of the best way to build guns..wide benching that is :rock

Guest Bullitt

Your in a race with Goody......follow his blog and look at what he does on chest day.

BTW...I'am no world class bencher but my best is 285#@158bw.....I am 170 now and have not done a max effort in awhile :(

Yea, I noticed how many warmups he does. And he's a young pup. As an over 40 guy, it's probably even a little more important for me. :blush

Point taken guys. I definitely need to do more than a couple warmups sets. Didn't even think that would be the issue. that's why I put stuff on here. Sometimes I need the obvious pointed out to me. :) Also, now that I have set what my max is, I won't be doing any max attempts for a while.

285 at 158lbs may not be world class, but that's some pretty strong benching brother. Anytime you are almost benching 2X bodyweight, you are a serious bencher.

Thanks again everybody.

We've got one. I've never actually used it for recovery, but I did put it on my arm and turn it all the way up just to see what it felt like :D

Spend some time on the Tate's Elite Fitness site and read some of the articles there and on Louie's site about proper technique for the bench. My guess is it's a technique issue - it may be tendonitis now but the underlying cause is what's important to fixing it.

Guest Bullitt

We've got one. I've never actually used it for recovery, but I did put it on my arm and turn it all the way up just to see what it felt like :D

Why am I not surprised Frank? :laugh:laugh

Why am I not surprised Frank? :laugh:laugh

Gee...I dunno :whistel:inno

Guest Bullitt

Did inclines today and followed advice. Warmed up way more than usual. No pain. Didn't go for a max or anything but no pain at all.

BarX20

75X15

135X10

175X8

Yea, I noticed how many warmups he does. And he's a young pup. As an over 40 guy, it's probably even a little more important for me. :blush

Point taken guys. I definitely need to do more than a couple warmups sets. Didn't even think that would be the issue. that's why I put stuff on here. Sometimes I need the obvious pointed out to me. :) Also, now that I have set what my max is, I won't be doing any max attempts for a while.

285 at 158lbs may not be world class, but that's some pretty strong benching brother. Anytime you are almost benching 2X bodyweight, you are a serious bencher.

Thanks again everybody.

Thanks man. I don't feel like I have the authority to speak on this but if you have any questions let me know and I'll do the best I can to help you out. :)

sounds like tendonitis..

alot of light warmups with the bar and light dumbbell bicep and tricep exercises tend to help that if it's only minor..

also, maybe consider using an elbow sleeve and see how THAT feels..the added fluid pressure provided in teh joint adds alot of comfort and a little additional stability.

Guest Bullitt

Went for a max attempt last night on bench. Used extra warmups. Bar 2X15, 95X10, 135 X10, gradual progression on singles up to goal weight. No pain at all with biceps tendon. In fact it felt so good i did a bunch of barbell curls and reverse curls afterwards. Thanks everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I'd bet it's mostly a technique issue for you, bro. If I had to guess right now, without seeing you bench, I'd say you don't correct your elbow alignment prior to initiating the movement.

Check out this instructional section on the bench press from the Diesel Crew website:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-bench-press/

Obviously, there are TONS of articles written on this topic. This is a good start.

Let me know how it works out for you, bro.

Guest Bullitt
Mike,

I'd bet it's mostly a technique issue for you, bro. If I had to guess right now, without seeing you bench, I'd say you don't correct your elbow alignment prior to initiating the movement.

Check out this instructional section on the bench press from the Diesel Crew website:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-bench-press/

Obviously, there are TONS of articles written on this topic. This is a good start.

Let me know how it works out for you, bro.

I think you might be right. I have seen that video before, but I don't correct my elbow alignment. I warmed up like crazy yesterday and they hurt like a b!tc#! The pain seems to be in my brachialis, almost like they are getting torqued. This jibes pretty well with not getting everything lined up correctly. I will give it a shot next time i bench.

Lots of folks out there call me the Oracle. You don't have to...seriously. It's cool if you just call me Goody.

Let me know if this helps you out, bro. That one simple elbow correction has helped me so much.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know about bench hurting biceps but i know many people who armwrestle that say AW really hurts benching and i have had trouble myself with shoulders and elbows bothering me on bench day. It seems my bench always drops off for a few weaks after a event