Alexis Workout Grip & Bending

tselegala

I am new to this forum and to grip training. I have closed the # 2 for 14 reps and am close to close the #3, i have bent a 1/4 x 5 '' HRS nail after one month. I have learned alot by teamu and paul knight with their posts. I am still weak but i have alot of will. I train grip basically every 2-3 days with V bar, bending, grippers, pinch and sledge( besides my normal bodybuilding workout). I think i know myself enough to know when i need to take more recovery time but it's not easy to listen to reason sometimes. My goals are to smash the #4 like it was a trainer and do reps with it. The second i start to feel the wrong kind of pain or gain starts to deminish i will stop until i'm ready again. My gains have been pretty fast so far. I would love to have any kind of advice from vetrans. I'm 34 and not 16 i generaly listen to experienced people. I been bodybuilding all my life and nothing comes close to the feeling of bending steel or closing grippers!! This is what i'm training with so far:

DAY 1

SLEDGE: rotation 180 deg 10 times 3 reps

GRIPPERS: 1 WARMUP SET; 1 WORK SET; 3-4 ATTEMPTS AT GOAL EACH ARM

V BAR: 130 LBS. 1 INCH BAR 30 SEC 4 TIMES EACH ARM

PINCH: 50lbs PLATE 10 SEC- 5 SEC HOLDS-3 SEC HOLDS

DAY 2

SLEDGE: GENERAL LEVERING

GRIPPERS: SAME AS ABOVE

BENDING: 4X 3/16 X 4'' SPIRALS for warm up then i do as many 1/4'' x 5 inchers HRS as possible.

EXTENSORS: IN THE RICE BUCKET OR WITH RUBBER BANDS.

I am new to this forum and to grip training. I have closed the # 2 for 14 reps and am close to close the #3, i have bent a 1/4 x 5 '' HRS nail after one month. I have learned alot by teamu and paul knight with their posts. I am still weak but i have alot of will. I train grip basically every 2-3 days with V bar, bending, grippers, pinch and sledge( besides my normal bodybuilding workout). I think i know myself enough to know when i need to take more recovery time but it's not easy to listen to reason sometimes. My goals are to smash the #4 like it was a trainer and do reps with it. The second i start to feel the wrong kind of pain or gain starts to deminish i will stop until i'm ready again. My gains have been pretty fast so far. I would love to have any kind of advice from vetrans. I'm 34 and not 16 i generaly listen to experienced people. I been bodybuilding all my life and nothing comes close to the feeling of bending steel or closing grippers!! This is what i'm training with so far:

DAY 1

DAY 2

BENDING: 4X 3/16 X 4'' SPIRALS for warm up then i do as many 1/4'' x 5 inchers HRS as possible.

great work right there, are you russian by any chance??

-Steve

Edited by knyaz

I gave myself a few days off from training. I started to feel a little pull in the lumbar region while doing a deadlift. I was starting to feel generally tired also.

You have to know yourself sometimes, I have the army to thank for that i guess. This gave me the opportunity to study a few more things about training.

Power breathing is said to be good for strength development, recovery and focus. I'm going to give it a try what the heck...

Diet is very important for a good recovery and this is why I'm gonna eat like a freakin caveman, vegetables fruits, meat, almonds and whatever doesn't come in a box. Supplementation with BCAA, argenine and protein.

Also sleep is key and that's why I'll stop here!

:cool

DAY 1

DAY 2

great work right there, are you russian by any chance??

-Steve

Thanks man! No i'm Canadian/Greek.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...mp;hl=negatives

That's it!! i have just started this routine. I was not getting enough gains from the traditional 3 time a week thing. I'm gonna hammer those grip muscles to a pulp. This high volume thing makes sense. Amongst the strongest guys out there for grip are carpenters and they do high volume. And it's true, we are so afraid to overtrain that we sometimes undertrain. Maybe forearm muscles should not be trained the same way as the rest of the muscles after all.

300 full reps each hand today on the #1 and I must do more tomorrow and so on for 5 days my goal is 1000 on day 5.

Let's see what that does.

My hands feel like old boots. I cant even close the #1 for one rep this morning!! i never ever felt this way with other routines. I will continue later today when my hands dont feel so stiff. I'll do extensors at the office till then. i dont know if i'll be able to do 300 or more but i'll certainly try.

340 reps, blisters hurt like hell i should stop. This workout kills. I finished this off with a 20 sec hold on the 2. I must finish the 5 days then i rest, I'll post all the numbers after so i can note the progress later on. If this was overtraining i would not have been able to do more than yesterday i think. 1000 on day 5 does not seem possible right now.

note to myself: beat 32 full reps 21 clicks.

204 reps on day 3 because my hands hurt too much. I will rest for 3 days and continue working the sweep with this routine again with the #1 for 5 days the 2 days off the #2 for 5 days etc. I must work the close though since thats the range i need to devellop since i cant hold the # 3 closed but i can bring it to aprox. 1/4'' from the closed position. I'll do holds on the #2 before doing the reps on the #1. My hands feel tight and hard but not sore.

• 3 weeks later...

This routine did not work for me. Not much gains but alot of pain. This quest to the #3 is really frustrating. It gets worst as time goes by. I have noticed however that i can now close the #2 as easily as i could close the #1 when i started so it was not all in vain. My forearms have not gained much size i'm still around 14.5 inches but they have become more defined and weird muscles started popping out near the wrist. I am now doing something a little simpler for grip strengthening. I will focus on closing grippers for now. Pinch is important so i will train that as well.

Every second day:

10x #1 for 1 set ;fast

5 X # 2 for 2 sets; slow

2 attempts at # 3

3 # 2 hold till near failure

1 # 3 hold till near failure (as far as i can close it)

As i get stronger, i will do holds with a #2 with a towel between the handles to increase resistance.

pinch:

Pinch curls 3 sets x 35 Lbs x 10 reps

Full range of motion closes with a clamp from home depot till failure.

I also train that muscle on the opposite side of the thumb on the palm by hitting it lightly on a 45 pounder till it burns, this really works well to increase it's size and hardness and thus the resting area of the gripper handle becomes bigger and stronger.