Bench Press Routine Ideas?

bennywiggy

I'm asking for advice on a routine that will get my bench from a 270 max to 300lb max. It seems that a person could spend several hundreds of dollars between Westside , Critical Bench , Sheiko . Recomendations are greatly appreciated :D

I'm asking for advice on a routine that will get my bench from a 270 max to 300lb max. It seems that a person could spend several hundreds of dollars between Westside , Critical Bench , Sheiko . Recomendations are greatly appreciated :D

bwiggy. I would suggest doing 6 weeks of 5x5 training or the Squats/deads and Milk routine which is also 6 weeks. You could also do a backward training routine. I'm assuming you've never done any of these and I bet any of them will be just the trick to get you that extra 30lbs. If you're interested in any of them shoot me an PM

I would Bench alot in the old days, all drug free and got up to about 450lbs. I would bench and nothing else, every two days or 48hrs rest 5 reps 4 reps 3 reps 2reps single single single. Give it a shot for 5 weeks.

I would Bench alot in the old days, all drug free and got up to about 450lbs. I would bench and nothing else, every two days or 48hrs rest 5 reps 4 reps 3 reps 2reps single single single. Give it a shot for 5 weeks.

I wouldn't neglect everything else. You need to strengthen shoulders , bis, tris, etc and it will bring faster gains

I'm currently doing wave-loading for the bench. Awesome gains. My old max was 275. About 6-8 weeks later of wave-loading, I finished up a nasty workout with 285. Not sure what my max is now, as 285 went up while I was really fatigued. I do a 3-2-1 routine. For an example, this was my last workout:

warm-up - 115 x 2 sets of 10

Set 1 - 238 x 3, 241 x 2, 245 x 1

Set 2 - 245 x 3, 245 x 2, 251 x 1

Set 3 - 255 x 3, 265 x 2, 285 x 1

Edited by Magnus

No need to get complicated, given your goal of just a 30 pound increase.

Monday:

Warm ups

3x5 with about 80 percent of your max. Same weight each set. Try to go up 5 pounds each week. Start on week 1 with a little less than 80 so you can get a 'running start".

1x5-8, incline bench. Just one good hard set.

1x10 or so, dips. Use a weight so that the last couple of reps are tough.

Friday:

Warm ups

4x3, speed bench. Use about 70 percent of your max. Do them explosively.

2x15. Dumbbell military press, seated. This is just to round out the development of the shoulders.

Bicep accessory

Do this for 8 weeks and then max.

-Rex

I don't have any links or anything but I've seen the basic Westside template and a lot of the sheiko routines online for free. I'm sure you could find them if you searched for them. Another option is Smolov Jr for bench. I haven't tried it but I've heard good things. Or you could cheat and get a bench shirt like I did. :D

I don't have any links or anything but I've seen the basic Westside template and a lot of the sheiko routines online for free. I'm sure you could find them if you searched for them. Another option is Smolov Jr for bench. I haven't tried it but I've heard good things. Or you could cheat and get a bench shirt like I did. :D

Bench shirts are goofy. :D

Yeah, don't get too complicated yet, I like what Rex has.

I bench once a week only, I'm not too big a fan of the speed work but its cool every once in a while.

Also I do a wave week-to-week with 3 sets of whatever is comfortable, something you think you can get for every set.

w1 230

w2 245

w3 260

w4 275

w5 225

w6 240

w7 255

w8 either 270 or 265 whichever you think you can get 3 sets of 2.

Bench 2 days a week lst session of the week go heavy the second session go a bit lighter 5 progressively heavier sets of 5 both days. For assistance do 3x5 close grip bench, 3 sets of dips weighted if possible, shoulders and triceps. Make sure in your other training to throw in squats and desdlifts and upper back work.

The absolute best thing you can do is get yourself a motivated training partner. Other than that, the only bench program I really stuck to and got results was a basic westside plan of ME/DE bench/squat days and assistance work - I put about 40lbs on my bench in about 6 months or so.

No argument here. :D

No argument here. :D

ScottW. I got your PM, thanks for the info :) I'm maxed out on sending PM s :(