Max Rating On Bench

hamil1km

So i have a basic Gold's Gym Brand Bench that is rated at 600lbs total with weight and user , however, it states in owners manual not to load more than 310lbs on the "pins" that hold bar for bench press?

Anyone have any suggestions on how accurate these rating numbers are?

I want to add more weight than that but also don't want the pins to give away and smash my head lol

... sounds not good. 1000 kg (2200 lbs) and more should not be a problem for a good bench.

I'm not talking about competition quality benches. I'm talking about ur typical bench that costs a couple hundred dollars at your local sporting goods shop. Even gym quality benches arent rated up to 2200 lbs .

My question is whether or not people have put more weight than what their bench is rated for without problem

I've got a cheap Weider bench (you can see it in the background in some of my videos). Just for the heck of it, I loaded it up with over 340. Never flinched. Probably not the smartest thing, though :D You could always just change the pins and replace them with some G8 or G9 bolts.

Edited by Magnus

Guest Bullitt

Great idea Magnus. I've got the same problem with my bench and I never even thought of that. Those things would hold more than my bench could structurally hold. I was thinking about making a little sling out of duct tape to add a little strength. :laugh:laugh:laugh That would have added all of 3 or 4 lbs extra hold. :pinch

Pretty much all the home benches from Gold's and Weider (not the heavy duty ones) are rated at 310 pins & 600 total. I figure for liability purposes they have to have a minimum 30% cushion. At least that's what I am banking on when I go past 310 this summer. ;) My biggest problem is the 600. I just went to the docs for my back and tipped the scale at 250. I've put on 5 pounds in the last week doing deads & milk. I think I've lost some bodyfat too. Of course, I hurt my back so it's not all been good. lol

I've got a cheap Weider bench (you can see it in the background in some of my videos). Just for the heck of it, I loaded it up with over 340. Never flinched. Probably not the smartest thing, though :D You could always just change the pins and replace them with some G8 or G9 bolts.

I thought about changing out the pins for something else to possibly help didn't know how great of an idea it was or what I would use. What are G8 or G9 bolts and where can I get them?

Just buy heavier ones than it comes with. Or get it welded as opposed to bolted together. A welder will reinforce it for a few bucks.

• 2 weeks later...

all i can tell you is that my bench says 410 limit but i've had up to 480 on it with no problem but in my case i have the bench inside a squat rack just in case :D

all i can tell you is that my bench says 410 limit but i've had up to 480 on it with no problem but in my case i have the bench inside a squat rack just in case :D

I put 350 on it Monday and did a rep but it was feeling wobbly. I ordered a new bench that night with 1000lb capacity :D

It was delivered today. shouldn't outgrow this one for a while

If a bench fails - I can think of a few very very bad things that might happen to you! Good idea on getting yourself a good one.

If a bench fails - I can think of a few very very bad things that might happen to you! Good idea on getting yourself a good one.

Yea it would most likely mash my face or neck if it failed when i racked it

Guest Bullitt

Yea it would most likely mash my face or neck if it failed when i racked it

Neck would be bad, but I've seen you bro, face might be an improvement. :laugh

Glad you got the new bench. You need to think about that wife and new baby. It's bad enough you bench alone with no one to spot you.