Some Tendon Work

AdamTGlass

I need some 100lbs plates...

I need some 100lbs plates...

Powerful video. I like the positive music also :cool .

Hey Adam, what is Tendon work? Can you define that for me. Since I have tendonitis at the moment I would like to be able to be more proactive in my healthy, preventive medicine training in the future.

Thanks

That is serious Adam. I agree you need some bigger plates.

How often do you hit the rack pulls and integrate them with full range deadlift work?

How long have you been working this and how quickly did you progress with it?

How much have you pulled from a high rack DO if you don't mind divulging that?

I am pretty sure you were not using any kind of belt or knee support for these lifts right?

How does your back and spine feel now?

Is there anything specific you do for spine and knee recovery when you put such a heavy load on them unequipped and how long do you rest after something like this?

I am the only one at my gym that will go as heavy as I do without supportive equipment and they all swear I am gonna hurt myself. They do know allot and I don't want to disregard their advice, how do you feel about the dangers of working stuff like this consistently and how best to avoid injury?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just don't see pretty much anyone else doing this kind of stuff so I try to get all the info I can when I can get it.

Where were you on the night of September 17th, 2006?

Haha, hey man I said sorry!

Ya, anyone who has known me for any length of time knows I ask an unreasonable amount of questions. That's how you learn though right?

It isn't so much that I don't already have an idea of most of the answers myself, but that I like to get different opinions about things and everyone else I know says doing rack pulls like this is gonna hurt me. I respect Adam's knowledge and opinions and give them allot of weight against others and so I ask.

Where were you on the night of September 17th, 2006?

Haha, hey man I said sorry!

Ya, anyone who has known me for any length of time knows I ask an unreasonable amount of questions. That's how you learn though right?

It isn't so much that I don't already have an idea of most of the answers myself, but that I like to get different opinions about things and everyone else I know says doing rack pulls like this is gonna hurt me. I respect Adam's knowledge and opinions and give them allot of weight against others and so I ask.

I'm the same way about asking questions. ;)

btw for some reason I feel like telling you it's "a lot" rather than "allot" although I did spell it that way in the past, unless you mean to spell it that way for effect

Edited by Arande

great lifts man, i never realized you can do those rack benches. do you think that would increase your bench? my bench is my weakest lift which is why i ask.

great lifts man, i never realized you can do those rack benches. do you think that would increase your bench? my bench is my weakest lift which is why i ask.

I will say "No", "Yes" and "Maybe"

"No" is the first thing i want to say, because the bottom of the press is started from a Lat thrust (well it is if the lifter knows what they are doing) and the partial does not give you enough movement to practice that portion. If the only lifts someone did was bench Press and this rack press, they would see marginal results in terms of their #

"Maybe" If they already have a good groove and suppliment this exercise as part of Full range reps with other assistance work, in other words use this strictly as a way to load up more weight than typical. In this care i will provide an example-- Someone has a BP of 350, and they use rack presses with 375 for sets, "deloading" the feeling of their heavy max. I would also use a lower bar setting for this drill

"Yes" if used as part of a full assistance kit, but the better drill specifically to increase your power would pressing off a board.

I know that is not a clear answer, in a gripper sense--If someone only worked Power sets (not closing it, just setting a hard gripper and holding the set position), and no set closes, they would hard a really hard time making progress

If they integrated several set styles, plus power holds- more success

The best approach would involve a variety of sets, specific practice in the range you need, plus overloads like filed grippers and power sets.

That is serious Adam. I agree you need some bigger plates.

How often do you hit the rack pulls and integrate them with full range deadlift work?

How long have you been working this and how quickly did you progress with it?

How much have you pulled from a high rack DO if you don't mind divulging that?

I am pretty sure you were not using any kind of belt or knee support for these lifts right?

How does your back and spine feel now?

Is there anything specific you do for spine and knee recovery when you put such a heavy load on them unequipped and how long do you rest after something like this?

I am the only one at my gym that will go as heavy as I do without supportive equipment and they all swear I am gonna hurt myself. They do know allot and I don't want to disregard their advice, how do you feel about the dangers of working stuff like this consistently and how best to avoid injury?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just don't see pretty much anyone else doing this kind of stuff so I try to get all the info I can when I can get it.

Tim

Q#1

I deadlift often, maybe 3-4 days a week. I rack pull one day a week heavy, one day not so heavy. I use two different bar set ups

Q#2 this lift and I have been friends for a long time. Only recently have i started back at them, because i now have a bar that can stand up to my potential with it

Q#3 overhand 735, best ever alternate was 1205 with that rosion (spelling?) stuff baseball players use. Its like rock stuff, kind of tacky. I believe i will surpass that mark before 1 August. I think i can get lift on 1400-1500 before the end of the year as long as i can figure out how to safely add weight to the bar.

Q#4 I am raw. If i need to wrap up a body part to make a lift, i will drop weight and do it right. IMP, that is when you get hurt-I think gear is seriously damaging to us Non-competitive PLs.

Q#5 My spine and back feel wonderful. The only thing that gets sore is my hands, traps, quads and abs from this.

Q#6 I take good care of my back and joints. I spend roughly 20 minutes a day (some days up to an hour) with joint health related stuff. For the record, i feel this is a dangerous lift and not for everyone.

Q#7 To best avoid injury- be smart, know what is reasonable for you. Progress is one pound, one inch, one second faster, one second longer. Do not take too much too fast, or you will burn out.

I pretty much make uninterrupted gains on whatever i am working on, but that gets in to a whole different story.

I will say "No", "Yes" and "Maybe"

"No" is the first thing i want to say, because the bottom of the press is started from a Lat thrust (well it is if the lifter knows what they are doing) and the partial does not give you enough movement to practice that portion. If the only lifts someone did was bench Press and this rack press, they would see marginal results in terms of their #

"Maybe" If they already have a good groove and suppliment this exercise as part of Full range reps with other assistance work, in other words use this strictly as a way to load up more weight than typical. In this care i will provide an example-- Someone has a BP of 350, and they use rack presses with 375 for sets, "deloading" the feeling of their heavy max. I would also use a lower bar setting for this drill

"Yes" if used as part of a full assistance kit, but the better drill specifically to increase your power would pressing off a board.

I know that is not a clear answer, in a gripper sense--If someone only worked Power sets (not closing it, just setting a hard gripper and holding the set position), and no set closes, they would hard a really hard time making progress

If they integrated several set styles, plus power holds- more success

The best approach would involve a variety of sets, specific practice in the range you need, plus overloads like filed grippers and power sets.

thanks for the in depth answer. i was thinking the same thing about lowering the bar setting and using that, just to get my body used to the feeling of the heavier feeling of something i can't fully press out.

Adam

As usual looking strong mate and not afraid to do stuff without all the wrapping and protective gear.

I used to do these about 10yrs ago i had 2 bars set up before i had my power rack i used bandstands[builders trestles]

I used to do just partial deads and partial squats no belt or wraps etc.

I worked construction still then so i would come in frome work and just do a few sets of each daily i got brutally strong might go back to these.

Also i never had an oly bar etc then i had tyres filled with concrete which i still have i would just tack some 25k steel plates that i got from a steel works on the end of each bar.

You will notice ADAM does alot of unconventional lifts,forgotten lifts in this age of easier and easier ways of lifting etc he s not afraid to do alot of the old school lifting that made alot of the old timers brutally strong and is being rewarded for his efforts.

735 DO is nuts man. Thanks for the answers, if you don't mind I have a few follow up ones if you've got the time.

I deadlift often, maybe 3-4 days a week. I rack pull one day a week heavy, one day not so heavy. I use two different bar set ups

Would you mind elaborating on this at all?

That is allot of deadlift volume, especially with heavy rack pulls every week. How long did it take you to work up to this volume and what might you consider a rough outline to begin towards this?

I feel trashed if I even try and pull 2x a week and heavy rack pulls will put me down for a full week from any real back loading.

Q#5 My spine and back feel wonderful. The only thing that gets sore is my hands, traps, quads and abs from this.

Q#6 I take good care of my back and joints. I spend roughly 20 minutes a day (some days up to an hour) with joint health related stuff. For the record, i feel this is a dangerous lift and not for everyone.

Any sort of specifics on what sort of joint stuff you do to help?

I feel this strains my spine/back and knees more than anything, is it just a matter of getting stronger so your tendons are not so strained by this stuff?

735 DO is nuts man. Thanks for the answers, if you don't mind I have a few follow up ones if you've got the time.

Would you mind elaborating on this at all?

That is allot of deadlift volume, especially with heavy rack pulls every week. How long did it take you to work up to this volume and what might you consider a rough outline to begin towards this?

I feel trashed if I even try and pull 2x a week and heavy rack pulls will put me down for a full week from any real back loading.

Any sort of specifics on what sort of joint stuff you do to help?

I feel this strains my spine/back and knees more than anything, is it just a matter of getting stronger so your tendons are not so strained by this stuff?

For the sake of accuracy, its not a lot of volume, it is high frequency. I do not work high volume with deadlifts anymore. It is very draining. I pull often, but for few reps.

As far as how you feel, your working too heavy if your feeling it in your spine/knees. Back way off and work on some lighter weight stuff for a few years.

My body does well with high tonnage. I have deadlift upwards to 40K in one workout, I have snatched 35K in one workout. This is not something i was able to do overnight. Pavels Power to the people program would do you well Tim. Work 12 weeks with the low volume approach, than 12 weeks with the high volume.

Progress is made day to day, but measured year to year. You have a long time to be active, make sure you build a foundation now in your 20's. Don't worry what other people are doing. I have some articles on deck that will better explain whats going on with this stuff.