20 Rep Squats

John Beatty

315 x 20 x 3 on thurs....still sore. 335 next week.

315 x 20 x 3 on thurs....still sore. 335 next week.

SICK-O!

That's crazy strong, John!

That great I almost always finish up with 20, I remember before when I couldn't squat 405 I had worked all the way up to 370 for 20 and figured I could pull off the 405 and a few sets later I did 490 that same night, what a rush!

Please keep us updated here on how you do next week 20 rep squats help your grip too

John, your endurance strength, whether it's bench, DL, or squat, is sometimes hard for me to wrap my head around. After one good set of 20 rep squats, I usually need to lie down and throw up a little Gatorade before I'm feeling ready to walk again.

-Rex

John, your endurance strength, whether it's bench, DL, or squat, is sometimes hard for me to wrap my head around. After one good set of 20 rep squats, I usually need to lie down and throw up a little Gatorade before I'm feeling ready to walk again.

-Rex

lmao, that's exactly how i feel also after squats.

Crazy John! I'll get there one day.... in 4 or 5 years. :)

Michael

John thats sick man,Your legs must on fire. :blink :blink

awesome stuff John!! One set of 20 with that weight is real impressive... 3 sets is just insane :blink

John - on a theoretical level - why 3 sets of 20. What is your goal with the workout? Usually 20 reppers are done to failure and most of us are finished -really finished :blush . I'm just curious.

John - on a theoretical level - why 3 sets of 20. What is your goal with the workout? Usually 20 reppers are done to failure and most of us are finished -really finished :blush . I'm just curious.

prolly just switching things up for a change

how long did you rest between sets?

Good grief. After one set of 245x20 I could hardly walk. 315x20x3 is insane.

Thanks guys! I really was just trying to give my training a little shock. I've been doing the 135 x 10, 225 x 10, 315 x 20, 405 x 8-10, then a heavy set for a while (about 2 years), and felt stagnant. I didn't feel motivated to do my 40, 30, 20, 10, 5 thing, so I thought since I've been pushing some of my HS trainees to the 3 x 20 thing, I thought I'd try it for 8-10 workouts. I'm still a little sore today.

-Rex

Rex-

Thanks-

I've always been better at reps than singles. Only recently (last 5 years) on bench & squat, but always on DL. I actually felt better as the sets went by. Gassed on the 1st like always, by #3 I was just out of breath for a few minutes, but none of the mild nausea I get after 20's.

Just to give it a try & shock myself a bit. I don't like to do 20's at the end usually, I usually finish with a heavy set, just leaving my muscles with the max load always seemed the right thing to do.

prolly just switching things up for a change

how long did you rest between sets?

About 10 minutes, was training my wife & just hit a set when the workout I have her doing had a break in it that she didn't need my help

I'd like to finish this 8 weeks with 355-365 for 20 x 3. We'll see, I'm getting kind of old. :blink

Edited by John Beatty

Damn Bro., the most I ever worked up to was 295. I had a mental block at 300lbs. I can't imagine 330.

Edited by meelhama

335 x 20 x 3 today. Some very mild nausea on #2 & #3. Really didn't want to do the 3rd set. Really, really didn't.

335 x 20 x 3 today. Some very mild nausea on #2 & #3. Really didn't want to do the 3rd set. Really, really didn't.

I get nausea after one set. I can't imagine doing 3 :blink