Mobster Doing 186.4

Bill Piche

The sleeve of the Rolling Thunder is, I believe, made also of PVC and has, even if just a little, some 'give' under pressure. Tom you are right as I suspect our fellow suspects will agree that a Db handle which rotates is, esp when thicker, a little harder to lift than that which does not.

Guest woody36

Tom, i posted the link on Kaz, it's the one Joske is referring too in the

Dennis Rogers Thread,it isn't available anymore on the site.

Edited by woody36

I thought a rotating bell would be easier, since you wouldn't have to fight the angular momentum of the weights on the ends, when the bell starts to rotate. When my grip fails on the PDA handle, it rolls out of my hand. With the RT handle this is not an issue, since the weight is hanging below the handle.

Robert

Edited by RSW

With the excpetion of the RT handle I find the opposite to be the case. It may just be me - buts thats why I give Mr James competition for the title of Thick bar daddy :D

Any rotation will make the lift harder, be it the handle turning as you are trying to lift, or the globes or plates revolving a little. The rotation takes away from the lift and has to be overcome in addition to the weigh lifted. Even a solid globe bell can rotate, as it is unlikely that a crudely cast dumbbell has perfectly symetrical and balanced spheres.

Nope. One of the reasons Apollon's axle is so difficult to lift is that it wants to torque out of your grasp. The revolving sleeves on Olympic barbells are to make them easier to lift.

With regards to the necessity for completing a full deadlift to demonstrate grip strength, I offer my own personal experience. I've noticed that with overhand deadlifts, plate pinches, dumbells, etc. I'm able to hold a given weight at about knee level for forever and a day, but trying to lock it out is more difficult with regards to grip. Perhaps friction plays a part, but I believe something else is occurring as well to make maintaining your grip difficult. I'm not sure what that something else is. Any ideas?

Edited by eric milfeld

When you lift an object instead of just holding it takes more strength because whenever there is a force there is always a counter-force, law of physics :online

To lift an object of the ground you must create more force than the g-force of that object. If the force you can create is equal or less than that the object will stay on the ground.

Also the higher you lift an object the more counter-force you have to withstand to not loose the grip.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Awsome lift Mobster ! When we talk about " Lifting the Inch " that is what is done. It is lifted. Not Deadliffted. Have all the guys that liffted the inch in the deadlift it ? No. But we still say they lifted it. Which they did. That being the case, Why does everybody jump on Mobster when he says he lifted something ? I can tell you right now that if I ever get a chance to try the inch, and I do it, I don't care if it's tilted , 5" off the floor, or 2 feet off the floor. It is still lifted . would it be a record, no. But I wouldn't clam it was. I would just say I lifted it.

Harlan,

While you have every right to set the conditions of your

'lift', if you began the lift at an elevation where no further

elevation took place (dead hang for example) then you are not performing ANY type of lift, but a 'hold' or 'support'.

The very definition of lift means to elevate from a lower to a higher position.

If we open the door to include holds, then even I

can lift the Inch because I can hold it atop my shoulder.

(If I have a high enough phone book stack :D )

Again, in grippers, anybody who has ever moved a #4

toward closing, have they 'closed' it because they held in

a position other than open?

This is the confusion when we begin editing Webster.

For the Brits no explanation is needed but for the rest... there is a TV programme called 'Shooting Stars'. The 2 hosts are called Vic and Bob and one of Vic's catchphrases is 'you wouldn't let it lie'. Meaning Bob, or whoever, wont stop going on about it - normally something funny obviously. Apart from Joe and his very high stack of books (you wag Joe) its getting a little, yawn, old isn't it? Or is it just me? Lift - no lift - whatever.

I draw your attention to the Gripboard rules.

1. Simply treat everyone with the usual common courtesy as if we're in a room together or talking face to face.

I know you'll disagree but consider the following. I posted up that I lifted the bell (not supported as has been inferred today). If we (Joe, you and I) hadn't disagreed over the detail this subject would have been cold already. Just a quicky - he (joe) did say a stack of phone books...

Plus (and I know this will be torture) try not to always have the last word (I can see your finger hovering over your keyboard as I type). I will be happy to respond via PM only.

Edited by mobsterone

I know the rules. You will not backdown or ever admit to being wrong. You do seem to picking on Joe and making it personal, as you have before with me. Examine you own self as closely as you do others and see what you find.

Guest CalvinP

I don't feel Mobsterone was bragging at all. After all this board is where we all post our accomplishment in grip work. No matter how an object is lifted in regarding "the rule" it is personal best for Mobsterone period. He lifted it according his to best not according to the rule, at least not yet! So please lay off the critism and let's all enjoy our Brothers in Grip's success for the moment, and that is for any body and everyone else here.

See how many of us can even lift it the way Mobsterone did??? No too many I am afraid. There are so few of us who can make WSM contestants feel inferior when it comes to grip, so please keep us that way, let band together and have fun while u're at it. Thanks :cool

Steve,

Did not mean the comment toward you- when mentioning

the dead hang- it was a reference to what Harlan wrote

when he mentioned a lift tilted two feet off the floor(which

in my case would be about a dead hang).

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I did not mean taking the bell from 5" and 2 feet. I meant lifting the bell to 5" or 2 feet from the ground. If it's tilted or not, I still say it is a lift. But no need to say anything yet because I have not done it YET. But it will happen.

I was happy to just lift an Inch type loadable from the floor. My son came up with the technique to do so. It told me just how heavy it was and what I was up against. Since that time I have accepted nothing less than a strict lift. A strict lift will give you a much better grip workout. A strong grip is what this board is all about. Records and competitions are a distant second.

Guest Mikael Siversson

A strong grip is ultimately proven in competition against the best available (= those willing to stand up to a challenge in front of a referee and fellow competitors) at any given time. Its really much like determining who the fastest man in the world is. You determine this in competitions. Having a go at any Englishman is what this board is to you old guy.