Rgc?

easyWeight

Hi, I know this is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between the types of calibrations? Why are people talking about a #4 only being roughly 200lbs when the package says it's 380lbs? Thanks!

2 different testing methodologies. with RGC calibrations we get an actual poundage required to close the gripper but tested out near the end of the handle. #4 numbers like you quote from Ironmind are really an estimate (untested) of what the poundage might be to close it if the pressure was applied in the center of the handle on the coc ring from what we have determined.

- Aaron

aron

when calabrating grippers, wouldnt it be best to do it from the middle? and your middle finger probally gives you the most power from your hand, i mean we dont hold the gripper at the end , why care what the pounds are at the end? we all know its easier to close the farther you r away from the spring but we cant hold it there i think the middle might be better. ?

aron

when calabrating grippers, wouldnt it be best to do it from the middle? and your middle finger probally gives you the most power from your hand, i mean we dont hold the gripper at the end , why care what the pounds are at the end? we all know its easier to close the farther you r away from the spring but we cant hold it there i think the middle might be better. ?

you could calibrate it anywhere you want. The RGC setup calibrates from the end because its easily repeatable there and besides most of us have adoped it as a good quantitative measure of how hard a gripper is compared to some other one. someone could just as easily create an apparatus that measured somewhere else on the handle, but the numbers wouldnt be directly comparable with the RGC numbers that we have compiled lots of data points for now.

- Aaron

Aaron -King of the RT farmers walk!-

So your saying its more of a reference point on the gripper and not actually what you are feeling in your hand? would you venture to guesss that the higher number ironmind puts out for the #3 is more of a real feel poundage? beause you dont squeeze it from the end?

A then you could surmise that the RGC calibration is roughly half of what you really feel when a hand is squeezing from the middleish area?

rico

Also, anyone who has calibrated a #4 or BBSE (or bigger) knows that you want to be able to use as little weight as possible to calibrate them. They are already time consuming and a pain in the @$$ to calibrate (and I have Western Australia's Strongest Man helping me load), I can't imagine having to load on twice as many plates.

Aaron -King of the RT farmers walk!-

So your saying its more of a reference point on the gripper and not actually what you are feeling in your hand? would you venture to guesss that the higher number ironmind puts out for the #3 is more of a real feel poundage? beause you dont squeeze it from the end?

A then you could surmise that the RGC calibration is roughly half of what you really feel when a hand is squeezing from the middleish area?

rico

I think there are too many variables to make a comparison with how it feels in the hand. The best way to say it is that the calibration is just a reference point to compare grippers. There are things that the single calibration number does not capture well, such as sweep strength. We have seen this with narrow grippers. You could calibrate a narrow gripper and a regular gripper and get the exact same number. Then you try both and find you can close the narrow gripper, but might miss on the regular gripper really bad. The "feel" will be night and day difference.

Also, anyone who has calibrated a #4 or BBSE (or bigger) knows that you want to be able to use as little weight as possible to calibrate them. They are already time consuming and a pain in the @$$ to calibrate (and I have Western Australia's Strongest Man helping me load), I can't imagine having to load on twice as many plates.

agreed, mega pain and dangerous too.

- Aaron

- Aaron

Any of you all remember when Handgripperman tipped over his power rack calibrating a hard #4?

- Aaron

Any of you all remember when Handgripperman tipped over his power rack calibrating a hard #4?

Seems like I remember something about it going thru the wall ? That could hurt somebody.

- Aaron

I thought that was on a World Class or a Galaxy?

- Aaron

He had something like 500+ on and it only moved 1" or so before the whole rack toppled over.

He had something like 500+ on and it only moved 1" or so before the whole rack toppled over.

Holy cow! :rock

So when you calibrate using the RGC method, you just anchor one handle of the gripper and drape a strap or something over the end of the other handle and connect it to a loading pin?...or something like that? Can I do this fairly easy at home or in the gym?

Edited by easyWeight

So when you calibrate using the RGC method, you just anchor one handle of the gripper and drape a strap or something over the end of the other handle and connect it to a loading pin?...or something like that? Can I do this fairly easy at home or in the gym?

I'm not sure about the gym, but if you have a sturdy table at home it wont be a problem. You will either need to make your own rgc or buy one from someone else.

http://www.software-henritzi.net/Articles/...ationDevice.pdf

I'm not sure about the gym, but if you have a sturdy table at home it wont be a problem. You will either need to make your own rgc or buy one from someone else.

http://www.software-henritzi.net/Articles/...ationDevice.pdf

That's more or less what I had envisioned. Shouldn't be too hard to make something like that. Thanks!...One question though, what does the 'R' stand for in RGC? Is it someone's name? The link you sent me would have the acronym MGC, for Morton's Gripper Calibrator :cool

- Aaron

what makes you say that Aaron? has something happened to you whilst calibrating? :laugh:laugh:laugh

I think he means "mega pain" as in "mega pain in the a$$". As far as dangerous, take a peek at the thread where Kevin Bussi almost died when his set up went crashing through the wall. :D

- Aaron

what makes you say that Aaron? has something happened to you whilst calibrating? :laugh:laugh:laugh

hehe, yeah got a bloody nose last week when the lever setup I was using to lift the weight came loose just as I was reaching for it to let it down. Luckily only 130ish# was still on there and that the hand lever hit me in the nose not the eye. I think if it had the 200#+ for a #4 or higher on there it would have taken my nose clean off. smacked me hard enough to not only make it bleed from the inside but thru the pores on the surface where it hit me. :rock:D I made sure to break the sh!te out of it after that. Braced bending does come in handy. :D I've had enough other stuff happen when calibrating that I usually wear safety glasses when calibrating, just not this time.

- Aaron

Redneck gripper calibrater.

AH haha :dry That explains a lot.

- Aaron

yikes

Redneck gripper calibrater.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• 3 months later...

I still think the grippers should be calibrated from the middle due to the fact that that would give the most accurate rating for actually closing a gripper :D