Recovery Healing Etc.

jomcgui

the sleepy hands thread got me inspired to figure out a better way to recover. lately my body is just feeling crunchy. I'm 35almost and don't recover like when i was 25 but just like strength training there must be a better way to recover. Overall I am not doing so bad since I still get carded when freshly shaved or mistaken for someone in their 20's but its catching up. So I've got a few leads like better sleep, stretching, eating healthier. I just ordered pavels resilient dvd since I've heard it is pretty good. Where else can I look for ideas to get rid of my crunchy feeling. Preferably free info on the web.

Try some yoga/stretching and cod liver oil capsules/fish oils.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin may help too. :)

I'm 39 and I feel that besides sleep, nutrition is the biggest factor. I mean more than just eating well/enough - but pre, during, and post recovery drinks. I go by the carb/protein ratios shown in the book, Nutrient Timing. I recover nicely from my workouts Mon, Wed, Fri - plus I do BJJ on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Other than nutrition and such, the biggest thing that has helped me is foam rolling. I roll everyday. My entire life I have worked physical jobs and foam rolling has done wonders for me. It is something I wish I discovered earlier. Other than that I think an extensive warm-up, stretching/dynamic/foam rolling, is very important. Also limiting volume to only movements that work is very beneficial. I mean, I realized that there is no need for shrugs if I deadlift heavy for reps, or curls if I DB row heavy. Hope this helps.

Omega 3 oils, about 10-15 grams daily, work wonders for me. Better recovery, less soreness.

Rolling around a tennis ball under your upper back works well to break up soreness and speed up recovery. It'a bit tougher to set up for the lower back, but works well.

35 - 39 :blush:D Hehe No seriously I know what you all are talking about. Astanga Yoga (or I imagine other types of Yoga as well) is an excellent add on to a hard lifting program. Lifting is what might be called a "hard" art - lots of tension and compression going on. Things like Yoga, Tai Chi, and most of the mobility programs out there might be called "soft" arts - lots of stretching and opening, using a comparison to martial arts types. Your body needs both. Another thing that happens as we reach adulthood is that we quit playing or doing all the free form movement that we did as kids. I sometimes wonder if we quit playing because we get old or we get old because we quit playing.

35 - 39 :blush:D Hehe No seriously I know what you all are talking about. Astanga Yoga (or I imagine other types of Yoga as well) is an excellent add on to a hard lifting program. Lifting is what might be called a "hard" art - lots of tension and compression going on. Things like Yoga, Tai Chi, and most of the mobility programs out there might be called "soft" arts - lots of stretching and opening, using a comparison to martial arts types. Your body needs both. Another thing that happens as we reach adulthood is that we quit playing or doing all the free form movement that we did as kids. I sometimes wonder if we quit playing because we get old or we get old because we quit playing.

I agree. I know dozens of guys who worked hard labor type jobs and once they retired became broken down or ill. Some even died. Maintaining mobility is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Who cares if you can deadlift 500 if you can't run down that dude who snatched your wife's purse and kick his ass! I'am fighting some lower back pain now and rolling on a tennis ball, more sleep and falling asleep on a heating pad, and trying to live cleaner has all helped.