Arms Falling Asleep In Bed

BigJan85

I'm getting that too sometimes, believe it's due to the increased muscle mass around the deltoids when you

tend to train heavy presses,really that cuts of your circulation somehow when you are in certain positions.

youre all very close, whats happening is that youre getting "swoll" from working out and those healing fluids your body is sending to the areas(forearms) are getting stuck there and acting as a turnicut. you could cut back on the training(not gonna happen), use the pillow idea(does work), stretch more(does work), relax(hardest to do but most effective), or all of those. and yeah, being a fat guy doesnt help for a couple of reasons im not going into, but its not a death knell.

Wow this is weird, this has been happening to me really bad for the last couple weeks now too. I've done all the same things I normally do and sleep the way I normally sleep, but my arm will be completely dead in the morning more often than not these days.

I do agree stretching and perhaps massage or adjustments might help. I've had some really nasty cramps and knots in my shoulders and back and I think starting to work those out and stretching is seeming to help some.

Heck my hands and arms go numb just standing around doing nothing...oh yeah and also when I am in bed :D

Until recently, I too have had this problem for years. I've been focusing on mobility and stretching drills hard for the last few months and the problem has gone away. I highly recommend Pavel's "Super Joints" and Steve Maxwell's "Encylcopedia of Joint Mobility".

Edited by maidenfan

i've recently tried the diesel crews shoulder dislocate move and it has helped me gain more strength and stability and it also seems to have made that numbness go away.

It's not a weight issue. I rarely get this and I'm fatter than you.

I realise I haven't singled any one person with that declaration, but I figure it's more than likely to be true no matter who asks,

Go get your neck and upper back adjusted - you're out. All of you - way out in some cases :blush Shoulder issues can do it also but it's most often my neck where it meets my shoulders. Crunch - crack - and it's better until I do it again.
I get stiff necks a lot, left palm on chin, right on forehead and TWIST and I'm good to go.

It's not a weight issue. I rarely get this and I'm fatter than you.

I realise I haven't singled any one person with that declaration, but I figure it's more than likely to be true no matter who asks,

Go get your neck and upper back adjusted - you're out. All of you - way out in some cases :blush Shoulder issues can do it also but it's most often my neck where it meets my shoulders. Crunch - crack - and it's better until I do it again.
I get stiff necks a lot, left palm on chin, right on forehead and TWIST and I'm good to go.

really....how many more miles of capillaries and other blood carrying vessels are there in each pound of fat.

Edited by acid

I also only get this when sleeping on my arm. That has to suck to not be able to escape it :dry . Sometimes I have to pick my arm up and move it. I also play with it...Often stepping on my fingers, hitting my arm on things, biting it, poking it, and occasionally slamming it in a door... One time, I had a friend hit me with a small bamboo stick on my forearm, I didn't feel a thing. It makes me feel like a super hero...

This may be a government conspiracy. What if one day, we all wake up with no feeling in our arms... We wait a while and then we call a friend. No answer... Probably because they can't pick up the phone. How would you dial the number you ask? You pick up phone with mouth, dial with nose, abracadabra. Call your parents, NOTHING. Call the doctor on this early Monday morning, no answer. You walk outside to notice, silence. And then, all of a sudden, you realize, it was just a dream. :mellow I hate movies like that...

But anyways... I'm kinda bored.

Man, this got a lot more response than I figured it would. I had no idea so many people had the same thing goin on. Anyways, my problem seems to come partially from tight shoulders as someone suggested because I've been stretching them a few times a day and the problem is getting much better. One of these days I'm gonna take Climber's advice and go get an adjustment and I'm guessing that will fix the problem the rest of the way. Thanks to anyone who helped out.

I have the same problem when I sleep with my head on my arm. I think my fat head is impinging the axillary nerve, which runs underneath the armpit.

Mine fall asleep, too since I've been training. In my case, it happens when I'm lying face down, with my arm extended perpendicular to my body, and my elbow bent 90 degrees upwards. There's a certain angle there that will put them to sleep, but a few degrees up or down and they're fine. I've learned to try and keep my arm down at my side more, but still, sometimes I'll wake up with a numb arm.

• 1 month later...

OHHH man this is a problem for me too!! It almost scare me into panic every time!! i wake up after a nightmare and think it's someone else's arm, then i realize it's mine and i freak out!! i pick it up and just falls like if it was dead! the problem is, i think, that the muscles are too hard and swollen and they shut the arteries and veins when you lie on the side. This does not happen when i sleep at my GF's so the mattress might be part of the problem as well. I'm just glad to see that it's not just me. This only started recently. The only thing i am doing differently is L-arginine supplementation. I'm not fat at all (11%BF) but weight may also be an issue as i weigh more than 250.

When I was doing KTA my hands were feel asleep every night

I have this issue almost every night. F-ing terrible.

Any chance this is thoracic outlet syndrome?

I didn't get this at all for since like 2002 or 2003 and now I get it every night too.

Guest Bullitt
I have this issue almost every night. F-ing terrible.

Me too bro. I wake up every morning with both hands dead asleep. Especially the outside down through my pinky. I figured it was from all the gripping I had been doing.