Chris James

Bill Piche

Like any other grip feat, with frying pans there's a huge variation of what's available. There are frying pans that my grandmother could roll up, and she's dead. The key is to roll the thicker harder pans, and be willing to pass them around beforehand to some strong people and watch them go nowhere.

Woe be the strongman who asks me to verify a pan or spike.....

Tom of Iowa2,

Yeah, that was the one. It was my second fight and I kind of got thrown in the mix w/o knowing what the hell I was getting into, I'd only been training for 4 months and I ended up in the cage with Laverne Clark, who new? I actually didn't do bad and had some opprtunities and landed a few shots, but I just didn't know what I was doing. I started to gas at about 4 minutes and then got desperate at about 5:30 minutes and tried to go belly down for an escape (like I said I wasn't to experienced) and he got me in a rear naked choke, night, night. :sleeping But I have to say it was a good experince. After I found out who Clark was I never really had any fear of getting in the cage.

I met Severn there and I have to say he seems like a great guy. He was getting ready to fight and he still took the time to talk to some kids who were there. My training partner met him at one of the UFC's and said his body is unbelievable. He said he is incredibly strong, even stronger than he looks and his joints look like they couldn't be pulled apart by a truck. That must be the key to his longevity.

As far as Tank I actually like him. I think he was good for the sport when he was fighting, like somebody said you either love him or love to hate him. There was a clip of him bench pressing either 500 or 600 on one of the earlier UFC's. It wasn't legal, some bounce and butt off the bench, but he got it up so he does have strength, and he throws a hell of a right hand. :cry

As far as Karelin v. Tito, never happen, different weight classes. Karelin would be a force, he'd be dominant on the ground, but it's hard to tell what would happen in the long run. Ever few years somebody comes along that everybody thinks will be unstoppable, and they are for a while until somebody figures them out (Gracie, Severn, Coleman, Kerr). Unfortunately we'll never find out.

Sorry for the long rant.

dyoder16

Dyoder 16,

BIG RESPECT DUDE..not only were you in the cage but in there with Lavern Clark.WOW.

Nothing gets much tougher than that.

What was your back ground?Wreslter?or multiple martial arts or what?(thats kind of a narrow minded question though..when peopel hear that someone is a wrestler they assume thats it..I've had friends that wrestled from age 6 on-or whatever but also boxed and picked up a black belt or two...before they were out of highschool)

I'm guessing wrestler with that belly down escape though??.when I'm working out with some of the guys I am pretty good until i forget who i'm in there with and i give them my back :sleeping i'm just working out though.NOT a fighter...

Tank IS very entertaining and obviously hits hard and apparently strong in the gym but he looks a little awkward on the ground and runs out of gas..Like i said i wouldn't fight him...he is explosive.heavy hands- one of the few legitimate 'onepunch'knock out artists.....

You do have some cajones though.Thats the real deal.Why'd you get out?

Whatever happened to Kerr?is he still around?Was impressive in the few fights i saw him in.(remember when that military guy with a zillion black belts in different martial arts and his own sytem came in there to fight kerr,flat top,stocky,about 215 lbs and kerr KO'd him with a knee in 15 seconds????)

You mentioned Severn joints and his IS strong and his strength and wrestling ability made him good.Karelins joints look like they were built in a ship yard and his speed and agility seem beyond severn..we'll never know.. karelin did one exhibition in japan and said no more for sure..but i think he would be both hard to hurt and his strength harder to deal with than Severn...and a faster! stronger! bigger(by 25lbs)actually younger version of svern would be interesting :cry

Tom,

Wrestling back round. I hooked up with a guy by accident who fought in the UFC. Next thing you know I'm in the ring. Funny how things happen. He was a good H.S. wrestler who was a big time kickboxer. So I started working very hard on kickboxing. Then a few years after we started fighting he got another guy to come in who was a very good submissions teacher and we went from there. I ended up getting out a few months ago because all my training partners dried up and quit. I fought a little while before that and looked really bad because I had to train by myself for 4 weeks before the fight. I just got fed up with everybodies excuses as to why they couldn't make it this time or that time or whatever & decided that if I couldn't properly prepare I wasn't getting in the ring again. I'm going back to some powerlifting and coaching H.S. wrestling :D

I wish I had found the sport earlier. I probably would have gone out your way to live and train, but now I'm too old to start over somewhere new.

I still love the sport and hope to train again someday, probably not to fight, just to learn and teach.

dyoder16

P.S. Guys name was Ranger Stott wasn't it? Big stones on the guy but not a clue what he was getting into :whacked

Edited by dyoder16

Yep...Ranger Stott.Looked pretty confident.

Of course a fight like that would never happen now.Need more than 'belts',plaques and trophies to get into the ring now.Its a 'real'sport now....

yeah it was probably better to get out if you didn't have the right guys to work out with.Or the consistancy.it's not just about being in shape or being agreat wrestler or even a 'bad ass' any more.Workouts now adays are so compartmentalized.Seperate training sessions for kickboxing.Seperate for submissions and jujitsu.Seperate grappling and wrestling-takedowns- without submissions.Stand up boxing-no kicks.Bag work.Greco Roman drills.Throws.More kick boxing...etc. etc...plus everybody lifts..gets in their roadwork..jump some rope.Experts from each 'art' or sport around to run the drills..whewww.. :blink maybe? even some specialized grip work :yikes ?it would be a good idea anyway.....

Karelin 'the experiment'-Kerr 'the specimen?'Svern 'the beast'

Why couldn't i have a cool nick name like that?

Good luck to you..we better get back to grip.I'm sure we have bored anyone that stumbles into this thread.

I still think Karelins grip..like other huge,world class athletes(i.e.mark Henry)would be up there with the best....

Take care