Hammer Curl Or Regular Dumbbell Curl

Jeff Parker

standing with a dumbbell or two, in a pretty strict fashion, which one can you do more in? I have always done way more in regular dumbbell curls byt after getting interested in armwrestling I have been doing lots of hammer curls and now my hammer curls have outstriped my regular standing dumbbell curls.

I can do more with regulars, but I haven't tried hammer curls while fresh for a while. My bi's are hammered by the time I get to them.

When I do some weights I tend to do 3 lots of the following (all with the same weight)

bicep curls with dumbells, small rest

Hammer curls with dumbells, small rest

Chinups with a kettlebell (very rarely 2 if I only want to do 3/4) on my waist (or not if it is the day after climbing)

I tend to do about the same reps on hammers and normal ones then usually under 10 chins if weighted and between 12 and 20 if not.

Between each lot of that I do pressups, pressups with legs on chair, triceps dips, leg raises on chin bar and some kettlebell presses.

But isn't this against logic? Isn't it like saying you can reverse curl more than you can curl?

If your hammer is above your regular curl, doesn't it just mean you have some room to improve in your regular curl??

I DONT do standing hams but i do them seated over a preacher bench in which i have used up to 110 pounds for sets that way but i cant do as many reps left as right handed on this. Everything i do nowadays is done with dumbells because of AW. I wish someone made a wrist roller you could grab on the ends palms facing in because i hate using sledges to try and build that part of the wrist :D

I DONT do standing hams but i do them seated over a preacher bench in which i have used up to 110 pounds for sets that way but i cant do as many reps left as right handed on this. Everything i do nowadays is done with dumbells because of AW. I wish someone made a wrist roller you could grab on the ends palms facing in because i hate using sledges to try and build that part of the wrist :D

are these full range movements

But isn't this against logic? Isn't it like saying you can reverse curl more than you can curl?

If your hammer is above your regular curl, doesn't it just mean you have some room to improve in your regular curl??

I don't know why, I just find them easier. Maybe that's why I have a better toproll, than hook?

The reason people can usually (present company excepted :D) HC more than RC is because the muscles involved in the lift. Reverse works mostly

Brachs with the outer bi head, regular curls works mostly the inner head, but hammers involve all 3.

hammer curls!

my last training with this exercice was probably 1 year ago just out of curiosity: i was using 34 kg each hand for 6 reps.

Edited by ewokhugo

I wish someone made a wrist roller you could grab on the ends palms facing in because i hate using sledges to try and build that part of the wrist :D

Did you try Ironminds Twist Yo Wrist? It may be the tool your are looking for.

I wish someone made a wrist roller you could grab on the ends palms facing in because i hate using sledges to try and build that part of the wrist :D

Did you try Ironminds Twist Yo Wrist? It may be the tool your are looking for.

i went to the hardware store and got a piece of pipe with threads on both ends in which i screwed on mounts on the ends like you would see used for concrete walls[ mounts for rods]. I drilled a hole and attached a cord which i use as a wrist roller. I like it better than using a sledge but i'm looking for something better and i cant use it without gloves

are these full range movements

full range for me on these is all the way down to forearm being flat against the pad but not anything like if you did them standing. For me this all i care about because i'm thinking everything armwrestling but i do have two different pads in which one is angled more so i cant handle as many reps on the greater angle

I'll have to try the hammers again...I think I'll do a quick set this Saturday and see what I can do while fresh.