Maybe Blob Replicas

Bob Lipinski

A guy from Michigan, Paul Jenette (posts here sometimes I think), is looking at making some blob replicas. In his words, he wants to do it so "assholes don't cut up good york dumbells anymore". You'd have to know him, he is quite a character, but a good guy.

He is a blacksmith and has contact with a foundry to do the work. I think he sells some equipment.

Cool, I wonder if he could get some inch dumbbells made also?

Cool, I wonder if he could get some inch dumbbells made also?

He took measurements of Larkin's Inch. He also said the foundry is a small one, capable of doing batches as small as 500lbs at a time. Perhaps someone has an extra fat fatman for him to use as the model?

I have a 53lb 10.5 oz fatman. At least I think its a fatman. That would be awesome if he could make some inches.

I have a 53lb 10.5 oz fatman. At least I think its a fatman. That would be awesome if he could make some inches.

I don't know how a 53lb 10.5 oz blob couldn't be a fatman. As I understand it, "fatman" blobs do NOT have "USA" imprinted on the bottom. Does yours?

I don't know how a 53lb 10.5 oz blob couldn't be a fatman. As I understand it, "fatman" blobs do NOT have "USA" imprinted on the bottom. Does yours?

I'm not so sure this rule is set in stone though. I have a 95 half that is so fat it's disgusting and it has USA. However it is underweight not like most fatmans so I'm confused as to its identity.

Bob, how would these be any different than Gordon's? It seems like a waste to make another mold for something we already have. It would be cool if he could make some Inches or Fatmans though.

I'm not so sure this rule is set in stone though. I have a 95 half that is so fat it's disgusting and it has USA. However it is underweight not like most fatmans so I'm confused as to its identity.

Bob, how would these be any different than Gordon's? It seems like a waste to make another mold for something we already have. It would be cool if he could make some Inches or Fatmans though.

A constant supply of blobs would not be a waste. I see people all over talking about and asking where to get blobs and other blockweights. If we could get some into constant production as opposed to batches, it would only help not only us but the sport of grip. The blob would no longer be some esoteric piece of equipment, but available to all. If fatman replicas are made, all the better because it will ensure the blob doesn't become an everyday lift.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I wouldn't call it a "waste", it is just something he wants to do. Hell, there is probably enough demand on the gripboard for both guys.

The obsession (and yeah I know it's a contradiction given how much time I spend grip training etc) with blobs and what makes a blob amuses me. Especially in light of some of the arguments - perhaps on a par with with some of the bending ones. I'm making do with the legacy blobs we can get here.

In his words, he wants to do it so "assholes don't cut up good york dumbells anymore".

Yeah, those guys just started cutting even the old globe dumbells :blink

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-LB-YORK-BARBELL-GLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

The obsession (and yeah I know it's a contradiction given how much time I spend grip training etc) with blobs and what makes a blob amuses me. Especially in light of some of the arguments - perhaps on a par with with some of the bending ones. I'm making do with the legacy blobs we can get here.

There are a lot of contests with the blob in it as a medley item, so it is actually pretty important to get something similar to train with.

Steve, what size Legacy do you have?

Nick McKinless has left us with a 20-kilo/44lbs HGT 'Blob' and Paul Savage brought down a blob from a 50-kilo (so a little under 25kg/55lbs per blob) York Legacy dumbbell and 2 from a 60-kilo York Legacy dumbbell (so a little under 30-kilos each). Laine has had air under the 30's and I can do the 20+weight left handed and 25+weight right handed.

The issues I've seen raised and what amuses me has very little to do with 'getting it right' (all right and proper) but the silly 'only those that pulled an original can make the claims' etc etc views. As per a comment of mine elsewhere and in fact you're an example of this - those that do well do well on ALL kinds.

I wouldn't call it a "waste", it is just something he wants to do. Hell, there is probably enough demand on the gripboard for both guys.

I just looked at my records and counted them up, I sold 16 in 2008.

To be clear, I'm not for a moment suggesting that he shouldn't do it. I'm only pointing out the the volume is far lower than one would think. I might be able to sell twice that many with a webpage or a shop on eBay, but that's not really my thing.

I still think Sybersnott is the coolest guy in the world for selling me one for $60 give or take. Hahahhahahaha I had people offering to buy it before it even arrived.

$2500! WHOOF!

In his words, he wants to do it so "assholes don't cut up good york dumbells anymore".

Yeah, those guys just started cutting even the old globe dumbells :blink

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-LB-YORK-BARBELL-GLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

HEY! I resemble that remark.. lol.. in my defense though I only cut two that didnt have a matching pair.. all the paired ones went into the hands of a collector. BTW that 40lber is probably close to unliftable. Jedd put half a 60lber in the pick your poison medley and he was the only one to get it.

I still think Sybersnott is the coolest guy in the world for selling me one for $60 give or take. Hahahhahahaha I had people offering to buy it before it even arrived.

seriously though. isint that all there worth? i mean isint dumbell weeight under a dollar a pound at any sporting goods store, i meam any weight in any shape? so if they make a hex shape its worth its weight in scrap, but if its a blob shape its worth 400$ a replica should be around 50 or 60 bucks. only an original should be more. does this make any sence or am i crazy?

rico

Depends. If you make a run of stuff in small volume the cost could be alot higher.

seriously though. isint that all there worth? i mean isint dumbell weeight under a dollar a pound at any sporting goods store, i meam any weight in any shape? so if they make a hex shape its worth its weight in scrap, but if its a blob shape its worth 400$ a replica should be around 50 or 60 bucks. only an original should be more. does this make any sence or am i crazy?

rico

I bought one of GordonV's replicas. . . . love it. I wish they were cheaper but I assume it's a pain in the arse to make and to store. Everybody want's one but only a few are willing to spend the money, or even have the money, so they don't sell like hotcakes. Plus shipping is high. I wish they were cheaper, I would own several, but lifes not alway's fair.

Depends. If you make a run of stuff in small volume the cost could be alot higher.

bob i totally understand the cost of the mold and the time to make it but beyond that they still should be around the same price as a plate of comparable weight. i feel the grip community could be taken advantage of.

rico

Hey I'm still looking into making the inch dumbbell, so I'm sure I can get the blobs made also..

So what would you guys pay for a fat man blob ( I have limio's half) replica?

• Like 1

A guy from Michigan, Paul Jenette (posts here sometimes I think), is looking at making some blob replicas. In his words, he wants to do it so "assholes don't cut up good york dumbells anymore". You'd have to know him, he is quite a character, but a good guy.

He is a blacksmith and has contact with a foundry to do the work. I think he sells some equipment.

I want one.

• 3 weeks later...

go to ebay type in york barbells this person cheese-is-nice has a 100lb half for 500 dollars??!?!!!?!!?SERIOUSLY???thats the buy it now price he has a few blobs and whole dumbells on there not all that ridiculous a few reasonable ones!