Joe Kinney's Grip Machine

mightyjoe

Hmmmm... if i were to make one would any one change anything? ?

also if a lighter weight were to be used say at poundages of the different calabrated grippers we come up against, could you mock the umph of that same gripper? Say if you tried a pretend credit card set.

eg.... would Bob Lipinski's calabrated #152 CoC#3 give the same resistance as #152 on the secret weapon if i tried to close it with the same set??????? if not how could you alter the secret weapon to give the same-ish feel when comparing the two? what relationship is there to a #152 pound gripper? what would you have to have on the secret weapon to feel the same if you could not alter the secret weapon?

Get what i'm saying?

can i have a few different thoughts from you guys

rico

I am totally pulling this out of my a$$, but I would say roughly 50% of the gripper calibration would be the same amount of "weight" at the close. That's not a good comparison, however. As far as altering the SW, you'd need to add a spring in order to make it feel like a gripper. It really only feels like a gripper in the sense that it simulates the range of motion.

Since the SW is just dead weight, the sweep feels a lot harder. With a standard TSG, we all know the sweep is softer and the spring stacks as you get closer to the close. The Gripinator has a similar feel to the SW. If I put 50# on the Gripinator, the sweep is murder to about parallel and I can barely eek out one attempt. But from parallel, it's an easy close and I could rep the weight again and again. This is why I never did actual closes on the Secret Weapon. The weight has to be light enough to get through the sweep, but then the last 20mm of the close is cake. If the weight is heavy enough to make the close challenging, you'll never get through the sweep.

eg.... would Bob Lipinski's calabrated #152 CoC#3 give the same resistance as #152 on the secret weapon if i tried to close it with the same set??????? if not how could you alter the secret weapon to give the same-ish feel when comparing the two? what relationship is there to a #152 pound gripper? what would you have to have on the secret weapon to feel the same if you could not alter the secret weapon?

Oh God, um... wow, this is a tough one. I think, and this is just ME talking here - that you are comparing grippers to a grip machine; that would be like comparing running on a treadmill to running in the Boston Marathon - VERY different set of circumstances.

I didn't go by "comparisons" when I was training on the SW to close the #3, I just trained. I knew that if it worked for Joe, then it had to do something for me; after all, I was stuck and going nowhere on the #3 and needed to try something different. The SW worked (at least for me it did).

BTW, I do like the way you've thought about this. I never did. I think you're on to something! :D

• 1 year later...

Oh God, um... wow, this is a tough one. I think, and this is just ME talking here - that you are comparing grippers to a grip machine; that would be like comparing running on a treadmill to running in the Boston Marathon - VERY different set of circumstances.

I didn't go by "comparisons" when I was training on the SW to close the #3, I just trained. I knew that if it worked for Joe, then it had to do something for me; after all, I was stuck and going nowhere on the #3 and needed to try something different. The SW worked (at least for me it did).

BTW, I do like the way you've thought about this. I never did. I think you're on to something! :D

Also keep in mind that the distance out on the weight bar greatly affects the effective weight. The farther out on the bar, the less weight it takes.

Also keep in mind that the distance out on the weight bar greatly affects the effective weight. The farther out on the bar, the less weight it takes.

yea right if you don't have a lot of weights make up a bar extension, and hang the weight out on it.

Parris

wouldn't mind a Joe Kinney Grip Machine :whistel

Our sponsor, Gripper Superstore, sells it under the name "negative machine." :phone