Weight Training + Grip Training

Chris H Laing

So I've recently become interested in grip training, specifically in the strength to close grippers. I am mostly into gymnastic bodyweight type training, but do include power cleans, squats, and deadlifts because I love 'em.

My hand strength is very low at the moment, and as such I have bought the two lowest level CoC grippers. They're getting here on the 9th.

Anyway, my question is how do people combine grip training with regular training without them interfering with eachother.

My schedule right now looks like this...

Mon - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, powercleans

Tues - l-sit holds or walks or spins, 10-15 min conditiong w/ KBs and jumprope along with bw type stuff, and then tumbling at night

Wed - planche holds or pushups, weighted pullups, squats

Thurs - same as tuesday

Fri - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, deadlifts

Sat, Sun - rest

Then the next week the upper body work on mon,wed,fri would switch so it would be two days of planche, weighted chins and only one day of dips, front lever.

I'm basically just looking for some advice on how to include gripper training into my workouts. Would it be better to do it on mon, wed, fri immediately after my workout, or a few hours after, or on maybe tues, thurs, sat? I'm just completely lost when it comes to programming grip training with other training and could really use some help. :blush

So I've recently become interested in grip training, specifically in the strength to close grippers. I am mostly into gymnastic bodyweight type training, but do include power cleans, squats, and deadlifts because I love 'em.

My hand strength is very low at the moment, and as such I have bought the two lowest level CoC grippers. They're getting here on the 9th.

Anyway, my question is how do people combine grip training with regular training without them interfering with eachother.

My schedule right now looks like this...

Mon - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, powercleans

Tues - l-sit holds or walks or spins, 10-15 min conditiong w/ KBs and jumprope along with bw type stuff, and then tumbling at night

Wed - planche holds or pushups, weighted pullups, squats

Thurs - same as tuesday

Fri - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, deadlifts

Sat, Sun - rest

Then the next week the upper body work on mon,wed,fri would switch so it would be two days of planche, weighted chins and only one day of dips, front lever.

I'm basically just looking for some advice on how to include gripper training into my workouts. Would it be better to do it on mon, wed, fri immediately after my workout, or a few hours after, or on maybe tues, thurs, sat? I'm just completely lost when it comes to programming grip training with other training and could really use some help. :blush

tues, thurs, sat.

tues, thurs, sat.

Will that leave my hands and grip fresh enough for heavy weighted pullups and deadlifts?

Well I don't know how strong your hands are but grip has never been an issue for me with weighted pullups and deadlifts, even after grip days. Then again, my sport relies on grip.

I tend to train in the morning and do grip in the evening, but that's just a matter of preference. You might find after doing heavy deadlifts/weighted pullups your grip suffers a bit so I would opt for tues, thur, sat. Remember the muscles in the forearm are smaller so they generally need less time to recover from a grip workout, so doing it tues, thur, sat shouldn't be a problem.

Chris,

If you're doing just grippers, do the grippers before

your regular workout and then proceed with the rest.

When doing the grippers you want your hands to be fresh at

the start.

Don't forget to warm-up.

Mighty Joe

Thanks for all the replies.

I think based on what everyone has said here, im gunna change my schedule on tues, thurs, and sat

Tues, Thurs - grippers, l-sit holds or walks or spins, 10-15 min conditiong w/ KBs and jumprope along with bw type stuff, and then tumbling at night

Sat - grippers, sledge hammer levering, pinch training with dumbells

In my many years on lifting experience, BY FAR the most effective thing to get stronger are "holds." Overloading your muscles with a weight and holding it as long as you can.

What I would do is get a gripper, which you cannot close, file it down and do as many forced rep/negative holds with it. Then mix that up with a very light gripper and squeeze the handles so tight together like you are trying to break the gripper.

The heavy gripper conditions your hand to the resistance. The lighter gripper conditions your hand at the critical point – where the two ends meet.

For the money, the HG's and Bone Crushers are the best deal and I would buy either series if I were you:

http://www.uniquefit1.com/products/view/931

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/hand-grips.php

I tend to do grippers on a separate day - maybe once every 10 days on average. In your case, I would do grippers on your squat day - and do them IMMEDIATELY after completing your squats for maximum GH effect.

I hope this helps.

Edited by G-Man

I agree with G-man 100%!

I have recently adopted this method but slightly

different.

It worked for Joe Kinney.

Mighty Joe