Weight Training Routine.

crobb1320

Hi guys.I have recently become more dedicated to weight training.My problem is setting up a routine that gives good results without over training.I need to use a 3 day program,prefer Monday,Wednesday and Friday or Saturday.Wednesday also includes my grip stuff such as pinch,2"vbar,Rolling thunder etc.and I need to fit bending in somewhere to.I would really like to gain in the shoulders,chest and back.I really need to get the back going.I do the normal curls,shrugs and shoulder presses.I also have a close gripvbar handle on my lat pulldown,which I guess is supposed to help the shoulders??bench press and squat are kept at low weight because I am usually by myself and I don't have a cage.I feel like I get the most upper body work from bending more than any thing else believe it or not..If anybody out there could give some "Routine" suggestions that give good results I would really appreciate it.Thanks in advance guys. :cool

Charlie.

If you want to add to your back you should be doing pull ups and rows. and those are both safe to do alone without special equipment.

brent

Charlie, this would work if you have the means to do so....

Mon--

Squats, 5x5

Barbell rows 3x10

Dips 3x10

Mil press 3x10

Wed--

Grip stuff

Fri--

Bending

Deadlifts 5x5

Charlie, this would work if you have the means to do so....

Mon--

Squats, 5x5

Barbell rows 3x10

Dips 3x10

Mil press 3x10

Wed--

Grip stuff

Fri--

Bending

Deadlifts 5x5

Foxman has some good ideas, but the DFW crew has been experimenting, and we've found that doing grip stuff after squats or deadlifts is so far above doing it by itself that there's really no comparison. Just something to think about. Your central nervous system is so excited, and you slam grippers you never thought you could get, your pinch and thickbar is better. But do what works for you man. Just a suggestion.

-Rex

Best routine for me, by far was when I was still doing strongman full time and a 4-day routine split over 3 days per week. One week you do two upper body days and one lower and then the next week you do two lower body days and one upper. I think this constant cycling is the best for increasing strength and muscle at the same time. It keeps the demand on your system just right. I also rarely did bench press during that time. Mostly log press. Mostly max attempts when not preparing for a contest and reps max when preparing for a contest.

Also, I did grip every workout day and usually an extra day or two I would work grippers or something.

Best routine for me, by far was when I was still doing strongman full time and a 4-day routine split over 3 days per week. One week you do two upper body days and one lower and then the next week you do two lower body days and one upper. I think this constant cycling is the best for increasing strength and muscle at the same time. It keeps the demand on your system just right. I also rarely did bench press during that time. Mostly log press. Mostly max attempts when not preparing for a contest and reps max when preparing for a contest.

Also, I did grip every workout day and usually an extra day or two I would work grippers or something.

This looks good. I am going try this routine.

A good basic routine that can be effective is doing a simple push, pull, squat/lower type routine. Just taking a main lift and doing one or two assistance exercises.

For example on the push you could do standing millitary presses, close grip inclines, rope tri pressdowns

pull day you could do rows and cleans

and lower day you could squat/gms

throw in some 2 or all 3 of the days

and that would work because you are looking for a 3 day program

I think this routine proves great routines for a novice or more experienced lifter

best of luck

Edited by Ernie Beef

Guys,Thank you for the input.I started this past Wednesday.I think it was a mistake to do squats and deadlifts in the same workout though.I am so freaking sore it not even funny.Yesterday stairs were a challenge.It is kinda funny actually.I think I just over did it a little,feels like good sore but just a lot of it.

Anyways,thanks for the suggestions,I really appreciate it.You guys ROCK. :rock

If I had anything useful to say I probably wouldn't be a fat nerd, but good luck, man.

I think it was a mistake to do squats and deadlifts in the same workout though.I am so freaking sore it not even funny.Yesterday stairs were a challenge.It is kinda funny actually.I think I just over did it a little,feels like good sore but just a lot of it.

I have the same problem, but I can only workout twice a week, so its a necessity for me. In a month or two, I should be able to workout three times a week, and then I'll break up the squats and deadlifts. You didn't mention dips at all, that is my favorite exercise. My goal for this year is BW 3x10.

Good luck with perfecting your routine. Having a good routine increases the satisfaction factor! ADD DIPS! (Sorry.)

I think it was a mistake to do squats and deadlifts in the same workout though.I am so freaking sore it not even funny.Yesterday stairs were a challenge.It is kinda funny actually.I think I just over did it a little,feels like good sore but just a lot of it.

I have the same problem, but I can only workout twice a week, so its a necessity for me. In a month or two, I should be able to workout three times a week, and then I'll break up the squats and deadlifts. You didn't mention dips at all, that is my favorite exercise. My goal for this year is BW 3x10.

Good luck with perfecting your routine. Having a good routine increases the satisfaction factor! ADD DIPS! (Sorry.)

Still sorting it out but I have been doing dips all along and also other BW exercises such as chins etc.I will post my routine here once Its all figured out.