Newest Milo Discussion

Tom Black

hhhmmmm???really?or are you making fun? :D Its a regular diameter olympic '25 lb' plate that weighs 27lbs.

I'm getting the impression??that it is the big plates-that put the wt.further away from the hand that create all the havoc....yeah the 27 didn't seem like a big deal to me..I'll have josh try a 25 and then a 35 or more...we have a '45'lb.plate that weighs 49 and a '45' that weighs 51 too ...i don't think any of us will be doing that anytime soon..though he's never tried.his hands generally almost 35% to 45% stronger than mine...I can generally out lift him on most 'gym'lifts though..but THAT consolation prize will be gone soon.

No, I'm not making fun. I used to think a plate curl was with the plate standing up and down on your hand. When I found the GRIP PAGE, I saw in the gallery that it was like a dish in your hand and then you curl. I am in awe of people that can curl like this. Hopefully I will be able to in the future. Right now I can put 2 10lb plates on a carbiner and curl, but I prefer a 10lb plate with a 5lb. clamped over the furthest edge. Each week I am going to put the plate out a bit more. :D

Edited by The Gripster

I meant to add this to the original post, but it was so long that I did not. In my gym I had a guy with the strongest grip and wrist that I know curl a 25-pound plate for 15 reps. He did them slow, very very strict. Later he could not do 35-pounds even for one. I had him try the next two weeks, just in case he wore himself out on the 15-reps, and still he could not do the 35-pound plate (not even close, really). I think this illustrates that the extra width of the 35 really makes a difference. Compare this to a dumbbell curl. I would think that someone who could do a strict 15 reps with 25-pounds could easily do 45 for one.

Odd how Nick, who Dave Horne rated around 15th grip of all time looks like he's having a hard time with the 20kg, whereas Meeter makes 10x50-pounds look easy. Odd, odd. Hey how come we don't have a ":sarcastic" smilie? How about this one :dry

BTW, I tried a plate curl like a concentration curl and found no reason to catch the plate at the top.

A strict plate curl of 44 or 45 lbs as shown by Nick McKinless is one of the hardest grip feats there is and must at least be equal to pinching 2 x 45 as far as difficulty goes and to mind mind harder than a #3 close. People who can do all these feats and more are amazing.

IMHO, a 45lb plate curl is possibly the hardest feat, I couldn't imagine the strength needed.......

Heath,

I find the plate curl and plate wrist curl quite easy, but find some events tough. So I think it depends on where your strengths lie. We all have strong and weak points.

David

Good point David, I have the wrist strength of a 2year old girl.....

Heath,

IF, you have the wrist strength you say, you certainly have the crushing strength of an irate gorilla!

David

Use the technique suggested in the so-called lift posting at the beginning. IE: add a rod and small plates until u get to target and then switch to a bigger plate, then do the same again. Thats how I curled 23 kilos and did a 20-kilo plate in the 2001 Irongrip comp.